Good article on Therrien

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Good article on Therrien

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 96641.html

I think he's smart enough to know that the easiest way to lose his players is to constantly criticize them. Even if he's right, eventually they're going to stop listening if all they hear is negativity. I also think it shows trust on his part in the players and maturity in the players. When they slip up, they know it. They don't need him to call them out and yell at them every time they mess up. Think back before the St. Louis game. It seemed like the players would be pretty tense at that point over the past few games, and their performances were certainly deserving of contempt from their coach. What was reported during the morning skate of that game was Therrien "knighting" the new alternate captains which was said to have gotten a lot of laughs from the group. Stuff like that has to contribute to keeping them loose, and it showed during the game. They came out and played perhaps their best game of the season.

People can debate all they want about his in-game tactics, but his leadership shouldn't be questioned, and I think that's the most important thing a head coach can possess no matter what the sport is. I don't think Therrien is going anywhere anytime soon and that's impressive considering that when he took over you probably didn't invision him being here long. I mean, from the moment Shero was hired people expected him to bring in his own guy sooner rather than later. That's because Therrien has evolved. To compare him to someone like Mike Keenan - he seems like he's always a task master. He's also a guy that's been all over the place and has had a lot of short tenures. Therrien's had a relatively long tenure, especially for a Pens coach, and it figures to continue for a while still.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Good article on Therrien

Postby drtofu66 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:52 am

Nice article. If anyone is looking for a unique jersey, check out this ebay listing for Therrien's AHL jerseys (and no, this isn't my listing. I just thought it might be of interest):

http://cgi.ebay.com/WBS-PITTSBURGH-PENG ... dZViewItem

Even better-- the team colors were black & gold.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:20 pm

I remember Therrien coaching the Habs, and at the time I thought he was a pretty good coach. Was surprised when they canned him.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:12 pm

MT = great coach
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Fire MT!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:42 pm

That seemed like a more candid column than is usually seen in the papers. MT has evolved, much like the rest of the team. For entertainment purposes, id like to see another "soff" rant, but I do not foresee one on the horizon.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby westside on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:02 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:That seemed like a more candid column than is usually seen in the papers. MT has evolved, much like the rest of the team. For entertainment purposes, id like to see another "soff" rant, but I do not foresee one on the horizon.

I thought it was a little harsh when he went off that year, but it was needed. And do you remember the next game against the Blue Jackets I think it was. There were like 5 fights and everyone stood up for everyone else. I forget who jumped in when someone made a run at Crosby... like Koltzov or E.C. but I can't remember.

Edit: There were actually 6 fights in the next game and it was against Columbus... gotta love hockeyfights.com. http://www.hockeyfights.com/games/18842 I had forgot we lost that game 6-1 as well. Did not matter though, that was a real turning point for how this team stuck up for each other.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:07 pm

meow wrote:MT = great coach

MT= good coach on a short leash... :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:26 pm

I played my wife the "Soff" speech the other night. She isn't much of a Pens fan, but did follow the playoff run (like she had a choice). She thought it was funny and started calling me soffest husband... Oh wait.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I played my wife the "Soff" speech the other night. She isn't much of a Pens fan, but did follow the playoff run (like she had a choice). She thought it was funny and started calling me soffest husband... Oh wait.

I think you can get a prescription for that Digital :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:13 pm

KG wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I played my wife the "Soff" speech the other night. She isn't much of a Pens fan, but did follow the playoff run (like she had a choice). She thought it was funny and started calling me soffest husband... Oh wait.

I think you can get a prescription for that Digital :wink:

I'm not crazy about the side effects. ;) :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby rkarete on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58 pm

my problem with MT is as follows: he is not obviously a "scientific" coach. Hence we have Malkin taking faceoffs in his own end in the closing stages of games. Hence when i went to see the two games in Stockholm, it was not obvious MT could force the Pens to adapt to bad ice and hence they were playing the wrong sort of game vs. the Sens. Hence the Sharks (admittedly an excellent team) could force its players to re-commit to defence and limit the Pens to 11 shots the game after they had a total 7-6 run n' gun. Hence the late 3rd goal given up to the Rags.

MT may be a Mr Motivator and everyone can respect the way he handles his own kids (I have three so I know its hard work!) and the Pens kids (though some, like Staal, can clearly use a bit more mentoring). But when you look at the applied intelligence that comes from the coaches at Det, Dal, SJ, NYR, ANA, Montreal and other elite teams.. you dont see any Mr Motivators, you see cerebral students of the game, who play percentages, who think matchups matter, whose teams don't suffer the kind of letdowns the Pens have shown last season and this, etc.
rkarete

Postby Rohit on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:05 pm

rkarete wrote:my problem with MT is as follows: he is not obviously a "scientific" coach. Hence we have Malkin taking faceoffs in his own end in the closing stages of games. Hence when i went to see the two games in Stockholm, it was not obvious MT could force the Pens to adapt to bad ice and hence they were playing the wrong sort of game vs. the Sens. Hence the Sharks (admittedly an excellent team) could force its players to re-commit to defence and limit the Pens to 11 shots the game after they had a total 7-6 run n' gun. Hence the late 3rd goal given up to the Rags.

MT may be a Mr Motivator and everyone can respect the way he handles his own kids (I have three so I know its hard work!) and the Pens kids (though some, like Staal, can clearly use a bit more mentoring). But when you look at the applied intelligence that comes from the coaches at Det, Dal, SJ, NYR, ANA, Montreal and other elite teams.. you dont see any Mr Motivators, you see cerebral students of the game, who play percentages, who think matchups matter, whose teams don't suffer the kind of letdowns the Pens have shown last season and this, etc.

those teams also didnt have a young sidney crosby and evgeni malkin

did they have stars? for sure, but their stars are vets who know how to play the game so the coach will reinforce the team concept

at this stage, i believe MT is going for team cohesiveness while trying to implement a system for the penguins to fall back on, and is then relying on crosby being crosby and malkin being malkin. what those guys can do now and also the things they will be able to do in the future is going to be far more potent than any in game strategy put in play by the coach.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?servi ... eid=392024

i know this article foruses on staal, but it also shows yet again how MT knows his players and still motivates them. of course you have to be self motivated but this is another example of MT talking with a player and him performing.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Therrien's use of Zigomanis last night was pretty smart tactically and made a big difference. Against a good faceoff team that relies heavily on puck possession, he was very smart to use Zigomanis the way he did.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:29 pm

MT will be the coach as long as Crosby buys into his system. And it appears Crosby is fully sold on it and on MT.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby superconan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 pm

rkarete wrote:But when you look at the applied intelligence that comes from the coaches at Det, Dal, SJ, NYR, ANA, Montreal and other elite teams.. you dont see any Mr Motivators, you see cerebral students of the game, who play percentages, who think matchups matter, whose teams don't suffer the kind of letdowns the Pens have shown last season and this, etc.

Well then Babcock dropped the ball, or maybe he isn't the cerebral assassin you think he is. On the Penguins tying goal, Datsyuk should have taken the face-off not Zetterberg.

Datsyuk was 5 - 1 against Zigomanis, and Zetterburg was 2 - 2 at that point.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Henry Hank wrote:.

Yeah, I think MT has matured as a coach along with the team. He's learned when to get tough and when to let go. He does not want to alienate his players. Sort of like a dad/son relationship... a little tough and a little strict, but also full of love and understanding. MT is a lot smarter than people realize.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Was just looking through the media guide... Therrien has now coached 231 regular season games, which is fifth most in team history. In ten games, he'll move ahead of Johnny Wilson and Bob Berry for third all time. If he lasts the season, which seems like a safe assumption, he'll sit second all time in games coached in team history, only behind EJ. His current tenure will be the longest ever by a Pens head coach since EJ's games were split into two tenures. His 118 wins as a Pens coach are already second in team history behind EJ, and he's still got a ways to go there. Of course, that's a little skewed in Therrien's favor due to the shootout and OT.

Just puts things in perspective. A lot of people have wanted him fired at various times, but we're witnessing perhaps the best coaching job in team history when it's all said and done. It's apt to bring this up with Melrose getting fired. For one, it shows you how short the life span of a coach can be, which makes it impressive that Therrien's working on basically a fourth season as coach. It also credits the job he's done keeping the players under his wing. Melrose wasn't able to get his players to listen or play for him. Therrien did that a long time ago and they don't seem to have stopped yet.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins