Penguin~Thanksgiving Day on FSN Pgh.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguin~Thanksgiving Day on FSN Pgh.

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:47 pm

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?servi ... eid=390705

Thanksgiving Day Special Programming:
11:00am & 5:30 PM Winter Classic: Pittsburgh Penguins at Buffalo Sabres
from Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park, NY on 1/1/08

2:00pm & 8:30 PM Triple Overtime Cup Final Game 5:
Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings, Detroit, MI on 6/2/08

Thank-you!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Penguin~Thanksgiving Day on FSN Pgh.

Postby cs6687 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:53 pm

There might be better games than the Winter Classic from last year, but that game was special.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:I think for the most part they have beaten the Winter Classic into the ground. I can name better games from last year that have not be shown or even mentioned.

I think its the first time I've agreed with you ever, but I agree. I didn't really care about the Winter Classic to begin with, but after it was over, there was no reason to go so crazy with it. Its taking on the same kind of significance as playoff games, when it was just a game, and not a very good one at that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Game 5 was amazing though, glad they are showing that one.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why Not Us on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Sounds like someone at the FSN offices went to Dicks to get a Crosby DVD set to put on thanksgiving.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lumbergh on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:17 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:I think for the most part they have beaten the Winter Classic into the ground. I can name better games from last year that have not be shown or even mentioned.

I think its the first time I've agreed with you ever, but I agree. I didn't really care about the Winter Classic to begin with, but after it was over, there was no reason to go so crazy with it. Its taking on the same kind of significance as playoff games, when it was just a game, and not a very good one at that.

Was it a great setting, yes it was, but overall the hockey was horrible. The ice was bad and the play was pretty boring with all the slow downs.

I don't think anyone is debating the quality of hockey played in that game. It 's a signature moment of the 2007/08 season because of the build-up, the atmosphere, the conditions, the uniforms, the win, and the way it was won. I don't think I ever heard anyone claim that it was such a great game because of the quality of hockey, and I'd bet you guys never heard anyone claim that either.

So what's the problem? What's wrong with FSN replaying this on Thanksgiving? It's not like we're all going to be on the edge of our seats watching to see what happens. It may not have been great hockey, but it is a really great memory for all Pens fans. And that's why it gets and deserves so much attention. But I'm sure you guys turned the game off in the 2nd period because it wasn't quality hockey.
Lumbergh
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Lumbergh wrote:I don't think anyone is debating the quality of hockey played in that game. It 's a signature moment of the 2007/08 season because of the build-up, the atmosphere, the conditions, the uniforms, the win, and the way it was won. I don't think I ever heard anyone claim that it was such a great game because of the quality of hockey, and I'd bet you guys never heard anyone claim that either.

So what's the problem? What's wrong with FSN replaying this on Thanksgiving? It's not like we're all going to be on the edge of our seats watching to see what happens. It may not have been great hockey, but it is a really great memory for all Pens fans. And that's why it gets and deserves so much attention. But I'm sure you guys turned the game off in the 2nd period because it wasn't quality hockey.

I was right with you up until you defended the airing of it. All those reasons you listed are what made it special on New Years day. The novelty has not just worn off, its non-existent now, 10 months later.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lumbergh on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Lumbergh wrote:I don't think anyone is debating the quality of hockey played in that game. It 's a signature moment of the 2007/08 season because of the build-up, the atmosphere, the conditions, the uniforms, the win, and the way it was won. I don't think I ever heard anyone claim that it was such a great game because of the quality of hockey, and I'd bet you guys never heard anyone claim that either.

I was right with you up until you defended the airing of it. All those reasons you listed are what made it special on New Years day. The novelty has not just worn off, its non-existent now, 10 months later.

Good enough. I just don't see the harm in airing it on Thanksgiving Day. It's not preempting anything. And I'm only going to have it on in the background anyway, so the multiple ice fixes won't bother me. I'll probably be unbuttoning my pants, chugging gravy, and/or suffering a heartattack at the time anyway.
Lumbergh
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Hockey-wise the Winter Classic might have been the worst game I've been to (at least until the finish) but it's still the coolest sporting event I've ever been at. It's a special game. Watching it again will bring back some great memories.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins