Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:34 pm

ryan21081 wrote:Lol i wonder how long it will take for the insults? I understand he can still develop into a great goaltender but some people act like he is the best in the leauge which is clearly not the case.. Hopefully he proves me very wrong but I dont think he will ever be Broduer or Roy.

This message board is unbelievable.... when one disagrees the poster is automatically an idiot....

I don't think any one thinks any goaltender will ever be a Brodeur or a Roy. They are, in my opinion, the two best goaltenders in history. But the way you talking about Fleury is simply beyond me. I just don't understand where you get some of that. I guess we both are just watching different games when Fleury is in the net.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:38 pm

pens#1 wrote:im sick of hearing about the Hemsky goal, if Crosby scores that we would elect him mayor and make fun of the other goalie. MAF did have a bad 3rd period but he still got us the win. We should be asking how did Hemsky get that wide open instead of bashing MAF - answer this----
what were you doing when you were 23?

I agree completely. What I mean to say is, Fleury could have gotten that, but we are all forgetting what an unbelievable individual play that was by Hemsky.

And above all that, at age 23, how many goalies can say that they have a 40 win season under their belts? And how many 23 year old's have backstopped their NHL team to just 2 wins from the Cup? The experience Fleury gained last season at age 23 in the playoffs is absolutely huge, not only for the present, but also for the future.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby UVM2003 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:41 pm

ryan21081 wrote:Lol i wonder how long it will take for the insults? I understand he can still develop into a great goaltender but some people act like he is the best in the leauge which is clearly not the case.. Hopefully he proves me very wrong but I dont think he will ever be Broduer or Roy.

This message board is unbelievable.... when one disagrees the poster is automatically an idiot....

Personally, I think last years run - beginning with his comeback from the high ankle sprain - put Fleury in the 'elite' status. He was excellent during the cup run.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I disagree with your assessment.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 pm

It's too bad, but with the game in MTL this year, I see a starting lineup of Ovechkin-Crosby-Kovalev-Markov-Komisarek-Price as being very possible, even though Markov is the only Hab worthy of a starting spot.

But I'd say yes, he deserves a spot.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:18 am

tombarrassorules wrote:
pens#1 wrote:wow this thread is funny hes 23!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe you dont understand 23 years old

this age crap for stuff is getting old. if we're using age as an excuse, as in being too young or too old, then either go to WBS or retire.

the dude is young but thats not an excuse for playing poorly or a statement of elevation for good play. can't you just say fleury (or staal, or crosby, or malkin, or joe schmo) is good or isnt good because they are good or arent good?

i guess you are done watching the Flyers lose again!!!!!!
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:23 am

tombarrassorules wrote:ya i dont know what you're talkign about.

No one does. Ever.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:32 am

you guys that complain should go work for Tampa bay
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:36 am

pens#1 wrote:you guys that complain should go work for Tampa bay

Need I say more?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

No one does. Ever.

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say about anything.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:44 am

Kicksave wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

No one does. Ever.

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say about anything.

Period.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:52 am

No one will ever look like a Bordeur or Roy. Sometimes people disagee and say someone is an idiot, sometimes the poster is an idiot, and people disagree with them. I'm not saying which is the case here, but the fact that i'm making this post probably is a good indication of what I think.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:54 am

trade MAF for Hossa will everybody be happy then?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:59 am

pens#1 wrote:trade MAF for Hossa will everybody be happy then?

What are you?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:13 am

pens#1 wrote:trade MAF for Hossa will everybody be happy then?

Trade MAF for Hossa, then trade Whitney for MAF. Also, Fire MT!
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:21 am

tombarrassorules wrote:

this age crap for stuff is getting old. if we're using age as an excuse, as in being too young or too old, then either go to WBS or retire.

the dude is young but thats not an excuse for playing poorly or a statement of elevation for good play. can't you just say fleury (or staal, or crosby, or malkin, or joe schmo) is good or isnt good because they are good or arent good?

The point is to compare Fleury now to the current batch of elite goalies (Broduer, Luongo, Nabakov). What were they doing at age 23? What had they accomplished so far? (hint: absolutely nothing). Fleury is already quickly establishing himself as oe of the better netminders in the league, and the age that he's doing it as in indeed a big deal. To be as good as he his now, but to still possess A LOT of potential.... that's why people are excited about the future with Fleury.

And some people here act like elite netminders don't let in bad goals, or don't have bad games. They need to stop being ignorant (and spoiled).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Three Stars on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:14 am

Fleury is a large reason why the Pens have a respectable record this season (not to mention last season).

I wonder what the agenda is that keeps some people from acknowledging that?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:36 am

meecrofilm wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:

The point is to compare Fleury now to the current batch of elite goalies (Broduer, Luongo, Nabakov). What were they doing at age 23? What had they accomplished so far? (hint: absolutely nothing). Fleury is already quickly establishing himself as oe of the better netminders in the league, and the age that he's doing it as in indeed a big deal. To be as good as he his now, but to still possess A LOT of potential.... that's why people are excited about the future with Fleury.

And some people here act like elite netminders don't let in bad goals, or don't have bad games. They need to stop being ignorant (and spoiled).

Thank you. Perfectly put.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 am

The whole validity to the age response is that he is still learning and improving. A 23 year old that has, what you would perceive as, a problem with his game is much more likely to improve that part of his game than a guy who is 36 and had that problem for 13 years in the NHL.

Let's just take a look at one aspect... his puck handling. Where was that 2 years ago? Most of us would have a heart attack any time Fleury even made a motion like he was going to play a puck behind his net. Now he has become pretty effecient at moving it to his defenseman. Why? Because he worked on and improved that part of his game.

Fleury is not one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL, but he is definitely in the upper end. The guys is doing what very good goalies do... stealing games we should lose. The first stretch of games were very ugly, but we won a majority of them because he was playing great and giving us a chance to win.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Billkamm on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm

All-Star voting rarely puts in everyone who deserves it and frequently people who don't deserve it. It is basically a popularity contest based on name recognition. That being said I think Fleury has a good shot of making it.
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins