Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 pm

tjand72 wrote:Dagny, you daughter of a....!!!!! :twisted:



*fixt* :P
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,482
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby cojac on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 pm

No way in hell, Hal Gill (-2) and Rob Scuderi (-2) should have played more minutes tonight or any other night than Brooks Orpik (+1).
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,993
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby cojac on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I haven't noticed Sydor out there but that's a good thing. I wouldn't sit him if I was MT.

Can't sit a guy who was a +3 tonight, Hal Gill out, Eaton in, but it won't happen.
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,993
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Fire Bylsma!

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby WWGRD on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I haven't noticed Sydor out there but that's a good thing. I wouldn't sit him if I was MT.


I noticed him - he played great. Kept some tough pucks in the zone, was strong in his own end.

He should be an every day player until we move him.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Rocco on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:06 pm

dagny wrote:
Rocco wrote:
dagny wrote:After the years of enduring crappy Pens teams, yet remaining loyal and supportive throughout, some of you ingrates amaze me.

(If you KNOW it doesn't apply to YOU, don't be offended.)


It's called expectations. Once someone proves themselves capable of doing something good, you no longer want to see mediocrity. Sure, the Pens sucked for a few years. Last year they went to the Finals and are judged through that prism.


Might want to fill some people in that this is NOT THE SAME TEAM that went to the finals.

Of course there are expectations. There are also adjustment periods. Some don't seem to realize that. Hockey teams can not be judged on a game by game basis, ie; they do good one game: "they're taking home the cup, baby!", then they have a/some bad games: "this team's not even gonna make the playoffs!".

You know this stuff, just like I know what you're saying.


They're also NOT THE SAME TEAM THAT STUNK UP THE ICE IN 2003-04. They're closer to the Finals team than they are the disasters on ice. (Last I checked, this year's team still has Fleury, Malkin and Crosby from last year's team.) No one is judging this team game-by-game. The same problems are showing up in every game- inability to finish, questionable defense, Staal's continued disappearing act, etc. The Pens didn't go out and sign Satan, Fedotenko, etc. in order to just be decent. The idea is that they would put the team over the top. Fans have a right to be upset because the Pens really aren't performing up to expectations. Just because people have the nerve to expect a team to deliver on expectations doesn't make them ingrates for not being happy they no longer suck.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 32,947
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 pm

I now openly hate the Gill/Scuderi pairing. HATE. I usually try to be optimistic and bring up the good things about the game when I post here after the game (because I respect the juju, even after the fact) but I cannot take it anymore. I swear they were out there every other defensive shift. I cannot believe my head didn't explode.

They need split up. Each brings out the worst in the other. Even strength anyway.
Last edited by wallflower on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,912
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Gary on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 pm

Rocco wrote:They're also NOT THE SAME TEAM THAT STUNK UP THE ICE IN 2003-04. They're closer to the Finals team than they are the disasters on ice. (Last I checked, this year's team still has Fleury, Malkin and Crosby from last year's team.) No one is judging this team game-by-game. The same problems are showing up in every game- inability to finish, questionable defense, Staal's continued disappearing act, etc. The Pens didn't go out and sign Satan, Fedotenko, etc. in order to just be decent. The idea is that they would put the team over the top. Fans have a right to be upset because the Pens really aren't performing up to expectations. Just because people have the nerve to expect a team to deliver on expectations doesn't make them ingrates for not being happy they no longer suck.



QFT


The disasters on ice are ancient history. With the talent this team has, including Fleury, even though I criticized him for letting one goal in off his blocker and being a total pylon on another, we should be doing better. We're only slightly better than mediocre in the standings when we could be dominating. This is not an average team talentwise, it's much better. That's why their struggles, especially in the third period, are maddening.
Last edited by Gary on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,737
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 pm

[
After the years of enduring crappy Pens teams, yet remaining loyal and supportive throughout, some of you ingrates amaze me.

(If you KNOW it doesn't apply to YOU, don't be offended.)[/quote]

It's called expectations. Once someone proves themselves capable of doing something good, you no longer want to see mediocrity. Sure, the Pens sucked for a few years. Last year they went to the Finals and are judged through that prism.[/quote]

Might want to fill some people in that this is NOT THE SAME TEAM that went to the finals.

Of course there are expectations. There are also adjustment periods. Some don't seem to realize that. Hockey teams can not be judged on a game by game basis, ie; they do good one game: "they're taking home the cup, baby!", then they have a/some bad games: "this team's not even gonna make the playoffs!".

You know this stuff, just like I know what you're saying.[/quote]

Rocco wrote:They're also NOT THE SAME TEAM THAT STUNK UP THE ICE IN 2003-04. They're closer to the Finals team than they are the disasters on ice. (Last I checked, this year's team still has Fleury, Malkin and Crosby from last year's team.) No one is judging this team game-by-game. The same problems are showing up in every game- inability to finish, questionable defense, Staal's continued disappearing act, etc. The Pens didn't go out and sign Satan, Fedotenko, etc. in order to just be decent. The idea is that they would put the team over the top. Fans have a right to be upset because the Pens really aren't performing up to expectations. Just because people have the nerve to expect a team to deliver on expectations doesn't make them ingrates for not being happy they no longer suck.



Funny, you're one of the last people my ingrate comment was directed toward. It also wasn't directed toward people who bring up the team's deficiencies and suggest ways to improve.

There's a reason I said if you KNOW this does not apply to YOU, do not be offended. But, if you feel the label suits you... who am I to argue?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,482
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 pm

The Incredible Malk with 3 assists tonight
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,325
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby tjand72 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm with Rocco on this one. On paper, this team should be close to the top...even with Whitney and Gonchar out. The play thus far has been mediocre. If we had an average team, I could accept that.

The fact is that we don't have an average team: we have an above-average team that is playing at an average level. To be fair, it's the offensive production that has been average. The defense has been very good, and the goaltending has been what it should be.

I don't care how the 1st half of the season ends up, just so long as the 2nd half goes as well as it has the last 2 years.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,810
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: 9674 Jeopardy Lane

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby WWGRD on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:18 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:The Incredible Malk with 3 assists tonight


All in the 2nd period, I might add.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Rocco on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:20 pm

dagny wrote:Funny, you're one of the last people my ingrate comment was directed toward. It also wasn't directed toward people who bring up the team's deficiencies and suggest ways to improve.

There's a reason I said if you KNOW this does not apply to YOU, do not be offended. But, if you feel the label suits you... who am I to argue?


I replied because it seems silly to call people ingrates just because they're upset with the Pens playing poorly and winning. I don't see the point in mocking people who think the Pens should be justifying the lofty expectations with quality play.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 32,947
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby bhaw on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:25 pm

At least we can all agree that for now we found a great winger for Sid... Satanbot!

Image

(yes, I know it's the Robot Devil, but I couldn't find a better picture of a Satanbot.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,778
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby WWGRD on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Look at it this way.

Last season we started worse, and came 2 games short from winning the Stanley Cup.

Shero looks like a genius bringing in Satan, Godard, Cooke, and Fedotenko.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby duke66 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm

...ewwww, that was an ugly win...but 2 points is 2 points...the inability to finish is the most frustrating part of this early season...sid needs to start burying some goals...i luv the guy more than anyone on this board, but he needs to score goals...that's my two cents for the evening...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Rocco wrote:
dagny wrote:Funny, you're one of the last people my ingrate comment was directed toward. It also wasn't directed toward people who bring up the team's deficiencies and suggest ways to improve.

There's a reason I said if you KNOW this does not apply to YOU, do not be offended. But, if you feel the label suits you... who am I to argue?


I replied because it seems silly to call people ingrates just because they're upset with the Pens playing poorly and winning. I don't see the point in mocking people who think the Pens should be justifying the lofty expectations with quality play.



I agree, and I think people who do WHAT I ACTUALLY DESCRIBED, are ingrates.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,482
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Man, you gotta love it. Even after a win, the alarms are sounding. I gues unless it's a blowout, nobody is ever happy.

We got 2 points! The offensive is finally clicking! Don't let a fluke 3rd period dampen your spirits.

The PP is still solid. As I recall, Pens have killed some 5-on-3's before as well. The conversation rate on those isn't 100% and for a good reason.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,220
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:39 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Man, you gotta love it. Even after a win, the alarms are sounding. I gues unless it's a blowout, nobody is ever happy.

We got 2 points! The offensive is finally clicking! Don't let a fluke 3rd period dampen your spirits.

The PP is still solid. As I recall, Pens have killed some 5-on-3's before as well. The conversation rate on those isn't 100% and for a good reason.

I'm happy they won.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,912
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby cs6687 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 pm

I'm less concerned after watching the highlights of the Oilers comeback. The second goal was a lucky bounce, the third goal was a stupid giveaway by Scuderi, and the last goal was bad timing. Nothing to see here. Please disperse. Nothing to see here.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:41 pm

The whining about almost blowing the lead is a bit much. The Pens got sloppy, but Edmonton was pretty lucky to have gotten back in. The Pens hit like three posts on the extended PP, then Souray comes out of the box and gets an easy shorty. Should have turned 6-3, instead Edmonton continued to get breaks and made it 5-4. If you paid attention to Edmonton's entire road trip, all of their games were similar to this. They played a lot of free wheeling, high scoring games. The important thing is the Pens offense is alive. They're still putting it together. 7-4-2 is a good start.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby fourtKNOX on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:41 pm

well if we are choosing sides Im with dagny, and not just because she always has mine!

but here is the facts folks... this team is so much different then last year. Satan is not Hossa, even though we (including me try to make him that). Fedo is not Malone, even though we think Malone was overated. Sykie is struggling, hopefully tonight gets him going, Gogo and Letang, while are playing well are no Gonchar and Whits from the back end.

Gill seems to be more vulnerable this year ( Not sure why they didnt stick with Legame on his left side to cover up his slow at foot). Orpik, Scuds, and Malkin, Talbot have played well night in and night out. Thats about it.

Fleury is carrying this team right now even though he let a couple weak ones in!

For all those that complain that last year we were a cup finalist and this team needs to be compared to that, how are we wrong for seeing the changes, and maybe not holding the team to that standard, atleast this early on in the season!

This is not last years team, do I want them to win, of course, but I dont hold them to that standard either, yet!

So you say potato, I say potaatoe! we both have our opinions
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,731
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:57 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby KG on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:48 pm

It was great to see them dominate a team offensively. That was what I took out of this game. Sure they got sloppy and let up. But the offense appears to have found it's way the last 2 games. That is the most important part to me. The offense was lacking all season. Now it is clicking...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,844
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:well if we are choosing sides Im with dagny, and not just because she always has mine!

but here is the facts folks... this team is so much different then last year. Satan is not Hossa, even though we (including me try to make him that). Fedo is not Malone, even though we think Malone was overated. Sykie is struggling, hopefully tonight gets him going, Gogo and Letang, while are playing well are no Gonchar and Whits from the back end.

Gill seems to be more vulnerable this year ( Not sure why they didnt stick with Legame on his left side to cover up his slow at foot). Orpik, Scuds, and Malkin, Talbot have played well night in and night out. Thats about it.

Fleury is carrying this team right now even though he let a couple weak ones in!

For all those that complain that last year we were a cup finalist and this team needs to be compared to that, how are we wrong for seeing the changes, and maybe not holding the team to that standard, atleast this early on in the season!

This is not last years team, do I want them to win, of course, but I dont hold them to that standard either, yet!

So you say potato, I say potaatoe! we both have our opinions

I agree with this post.

As for the defense, I thought Sydor had a very good game. Letang & Orpik have been super solid. I'd really like to see the Gill/Scuderi pairing split up (they're both too slow to be out there together at even strength) but I'm not sure how to go about re-aligning the pairings - I really wouldn't mess with either Letang/Orpik or Goligoski/Sydor.

Fleury is awesome. He's not going to be perfect every night but he was the biggest reason the Pens were in the position to be up so many goals to begin with [in the second period he was especially good].
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,912
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby Steve on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:50 pm

That was the most entertaining game of the season so far in my opinion - wish I was there. That game had a little of everything.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,591
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Official GDT 11/6/08 Edmonton Oilers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Rob Brown in the house = Rob Brown hockey
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,132
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Lawrenceville

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pens4Life and 7 guests

e-mail