Jordan Selke

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jordan Selke

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 am

To the original poster. I looked at the thread and saw your post and I laughed...Thank you for that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:09 am

czwalga wrote:
Nizzy wrote:
Penspal wrote:It is my opinion too that +/- is not as accurate a measure as some other statistics. Its still a useful measure, but the degree to which it reflects individual play needs to be softened.

The whole lets kick dirt on Staal bandwagon needs to be summarized.

I look back over the post of negative posters of Jordan staal. I see people admitting to drinking and swearing during a game, and then coming on and posting about the game. No offiense to you, but other than getting whatever frustrations you have off your chest on your chosen whipping boy, your not making any sense.

The kid scored 29 goals as an 18 year old.
The kid was S T E L L A R in a defensive role in the SC run and Finals

He is a monster that will get better, you need to get off his back. Many players in this league go through slumps, even bad seasons. His brother Eric had a sub par season compared to his other seasons.

The fact is, there is still tremendous upside to Staal. The Pens have the luxury of being able to let him develop.

The team is winning,

penspal, I agree with you and love all that. I am a huge Jordan fan.

People need to stop hating.

Why do they need to stop hating, because you have a certain man crush for him? He's not going to fit on this team.

I've never been a huge fan, never believed the hype, whether i'm right or wrong he doesnt fit on this team either way.

Yes I do have a man crush for him. Same man crush I had for Malone. Home grown pens.

How is he not fit for this team? Because he isn't scoring 50 goals? Staal was a big part of the reason we made it to the cup last year with his solid defensive game. Just because he is a 2nd overall pick doesn't mean we should dump him. Sure Staal might be the first ever 2nd overall pick to be a 3rd line Franchise Center... but just because he isn't as good as a 2nd overall pick doesn't mean we should drop him.

You're right his hype got HUGE atfter his rookie season. Look dude, you CAN replace Jordan's talent overnight, but you can't just replace a BIG body defensive-style centerman like him overnight. He is just in a serious slump, he isn't going to be THIS bad for his whole career. He is 20 years old. I totally disagree about the "doesn't fit on this team" comment. I think he is EXACTLY what this team needs for it's 3rd line center. We have 2 players that will put up 100+ points. We can't afford Jordan if he goes over 45-50 points anyways.

Please stop complaing about Staal.

you like sucky 3rd liners don't you?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 am

Nizzy:

The question is, what's the dollar value you want to pay for a 3rd line center then? He is a RFA, several other teams will offer him top 6 minutes and a decent contract I'm sure.

His pending free agency is the only reason I would consider moving him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:20 am

"Why to they need to stop hating?"

Is it really hate? I mean really?

And the whole man crush thing. It was a joke, even funny to a few people, but god its old now. Older than Staal in fact.

Staal is a natural center on a team with two superstar centers in front of him. He's not going to get top minutes, and he's not been producing at the wing of late. I don't think the merry-go-round of line juggling his helping Staal, he simply does not have enough experience at his age to read new wingers offensively as well as say Crosby or Malkin. On that note, there are very few who compare to Crosby & Malkin, so it really makes Jordan almost look bad on occasion. But his work ethic, defensive play, pk, and board work have all improved since he broke in. The rest will come. He is in a slump. I honestly believe that there are people posting who do not understand what a slump entails.

As long as Jordan is willing to play 3rd line center, some odd pp duty, then he will come around in time. Then I'd have him back on the wing and he will get his center minutes when either of the big 2 get injured.

Its not like he's taking minutes away from anyone better than him anywhere on this team. And the absolute bottom line is that the Pens team is winging with Jordan in the lineup.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:23 am

KG wrote:Nizzy:

The question is, what's the dollar value you want to pay for a 3rd line center then? He is a RFA, several other teams will offer him top 6 minutes and a decent contract I'm sure.

You're right about several teams offering him more. Staal should not make a penny over 3 Million per. Shero: "We want strength down the middle." Staal is Shero's baby. I know Shero is going to give him a contract, he would have before this season but Staal only had 12 goals and I think Shero is going to focus on Staals performance this year to give him a contract.

It will be ok. I'm more worried about how all 3 of Gonchar/Letang/GoGo will be re-signed. I only think we can resign 2 of those guys.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:29 am

If Staal makes it to free agency, I will be very curious to see how it plays out. If he will get an offer sheet from someone etc...I think other teams will have him higher on their depth charts and could, could offer him big bucks...

We are dealing with a lot of what if's. But if Shero can't get Staal signed before July 1 then their are risks associated with that...

3 options:

1. Sign Staal to an extension (probably no longer then 3 years because Staal shouldn't accept long term yet)
2. Trade him
3. See if a team gives an offer sheet and take the picks...

I am very intrigued with the Staal situation...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 am

Nizzy wrote:
KG wrote:Nizzy:

You're right about several teams offering him more. Staal should not make a penny over 3 Million per. Shero: "We want strength down the middle." Staal is Shero's baby. I know Shero is going to give him a contract, he would have before this season but Staal only had 12 goals and I think Shero is going to focus on Staals performance this year to give him a contract.

It will be ok. I'm more worried about how all 3 of Gonchar/Letang/GoGo will be re-signed. I only think we can resign 2 of those guys.

He doesn't fit becuase we're paying 8.7 mill for both of our first two line centers. It's been said from guys around the locker room he wants 1st/2nd line minutes... well he's NEVER going to get that here and hes NEVER going to get paid like one here.

I'm not all for getting rid of him, i think people like you severely overrate is defensive abilities, but if he makes 1.8 mill a year for 3 years I say keep him. Anything over 2.5 is absolutely insane unless he turns into a completely different player. The problem is why would he accept anything like this deal; he's not going to get top line minutes or money.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am

Yea we might have a Dustin Penner situation on our hands. Hopefully a bottom 5 team signs Staal to an offer sheet so we have a chance to get that number 1 pick. Hedman :)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:22 am

Nizzy wrote:
Penspal wrote:It is my opinion too that +/- is not as accurate a measure as some other statistics. Its still a useful measure, but the degree to which it reflects individual play needs to be softened.

The whole lets kick dirt on Staal bandwagon needs to be summarized.

I look back over the post of negative posters of Jordan staal. I see people admitting to drinking and swearing during a game, and then coming on and posting about the game. No offiense to you, but other than getting whatever frustrations you have off your chest on your chosen whipping boy, your not making any sense.

The kid scored 29 goals as an 18 year old.
The kid was S T E L L A R in a defensive role in the SC run and Finals

He is a monster that will get better, you need to get off his back. Many players in this league go through slumps, even bad seasons. His brother Eric had a sub par season compared to his other seasons.

The fact is, there is still tremendous upside to Staal. The Pens have the luxury of being able to let him develop.

The team is winning,

penspal, I agree with you and love all that. I am a huge Jordan fan.

People need to stop hating.

For me, it is more of a pragmatic decision. We CAN wait on him to develop, but how much will we have to pay him while we wait. That is my only concern - that and the fact that we will have Sykora and Satan both coming up as UFAs on the wing, while we have a 3rd line center that isn't as good as at least three other centers on the big team alone. I'm not sure we can afford the raise he may command, not on the scoreboard but on the Cap. At this point, if someone wanted to sign him to an offer sheet, you take whatever picks the offer results in and say "thanks for the cap space".
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins