Jordan Staal Question: Is it me?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jordan Staal Question: Is it me?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:01 am

Is it me or does Jordan Staal have some of the slowest hands you've ever seen in the NHL? I find myself noticing the same thing game after game with him.

His stickhandling is extremely SLOW and looks like he has weights on his stick (or that it's made out of concrete).

His shooting of the puck seems to take longer than a normal player.

Is it me or does the length of Staal's stick just have a negative impact on his stickhandling and shot? Sometimes it looks like he's carrying a tree around on the ice (both in length and the lack of snap in his shot and speed on his stickhandling).

Would decreasing the length of his stick help him out?

What do you think?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Jordan Staal Question: Is it me?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 am

I don't know, i've seen him undress people with that same stick. I'm not real worried about it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 am

I think he has no confidence in his ability to create any sort of offense right now. He's too down on himself about it - he's said as much recently - and that's making it worse. And that's it, in my opinion.

I think decreasing the length of his stick wouldn't work for him as he's rather tall.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:09 am

Ok. If decreasing the length of his stick won't help, what about the team contracting with Tony Robbins to come in and give him a pep talk?

:)
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:41 am

He actually tried one of his "moves" tonight, in the first period to dance around a defenseman, and failed miserably. I dunno what's up with this kid, 2 years ago he's on fire with his stutter-steps and all, and now it's like he can't even dump the puck to generate offense.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know, i've seen him undress people with that same stick. I'm not real worried about it.

:shock: WHEN!!!! I would like to know when hell froze over!

He has stone hands and always has.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:04 am

Staal does not have slow hands.

He may not have "soft" hands, but he does not have slow hands.

"Slow Hands".... you've been listening to the Pointer Sisters a little to much lately.
:lol:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:00 am

Every Staal thread will have the following:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

Kind of like the political thread...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:36 am

There is no one reason why Staal can't find the back of the net

1. I honestly think its Stall still growing into his body, the kid is only 20 and it takes people somestime awhile to get used to everything.
2. He is also putting to much pressue on himself to excel and score
3. He has been changing positions every few games
4. The external pressure on him (Coaches, media, fan)

Someone needs to sit him down and just say relax, we have two of the best offense players in the world on this team, just got out there and do your thing, we don't need you to carry this team, just be yourself. Because you are good enough,strong enough, and gosh darn it, people like you
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Pens15 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:25 am

darkstar57 wrote:There is no one reason why Staal can't find the back of the net

1. I honestly think its Stall still growing into his body, the kid is only 20 and it takes people somestime awhile to get used to everything.
2. He is also putting to much pressue on himself to excel and score
3. He has been changing positions every few games
4. The external pressure on him (Coaches, media, fan)

Someone needs to sit him down and just say relax, we have two of the best offense players in the world on this team, just got out there and do your thing, we don't need you to carry this team, just be yourself. Because you are good enough,strong enough, and gosh darn it, people like you

I don't know, I'm really not buying those excuses. Because that's really what they are. The first one, maybe because he is very young but the others? Eh. Since the beginning of last year he hasn't been able to score at all and offensively he's looked pretty brutal for most of that time. I'm starting to wonder if he's really capable.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:55 am

KG wrote:Every Staal thread will have the following:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

The thing is though, I'm not some outrageous Staal fan girl who sees no fault in him and thinks he's playing great. I'm just not buying into the idea that he sucks and is useless and should be traded for whatever Shero could get for him. It's the same thing I've gone through with the Whitney bashers; if you don't agree that the player in question sucks, you're "ignoring" reality. Of course if you're only watching one player when they're on the ice, obsessing over how much they suck, you're going to notice every single "mistake" they make.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:04 am

wallflower wrote:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

The thing is though, I'm not some outrageous Staal fan girl who sees no fault in him and thinks he's playing great. I'm just not buying into the idea that he sucks and is useless and should be traded for whatever Shero could get for him. It's the same thing I've gone through with the Whitney bashers; if you don't agree that the player in question sucks, you're "ignoring" reality. Of course if you're only watching one player when they're on the ice, obsessing over how much they suck, you're going to notice every single "mistake" they make.

Most of the staal bashers dont want to trade him to trade him. They realize the situation that when it comes down to it he's going to probably want more money and more ice time than he will EVER get with the pens.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 am

czwalga wrote:
wallflower wrote:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

Most of the staal bashers dont want to trade him to trade him. They realize the situation that when it comes down to it he's going to probably want more money and more ice time than he will EVER get with the pens.

What humanitarians. Just looking out for his best interests.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:12 am

I think Staals biggest problem is his inability to pass the puck effectively. Guys just converge on him and he can't make a decent pass. So because of that, he rarely steps up scoring chances for his linemates and rarely gets any chances himself.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 am

czwalga wrote:
wallflower wrote:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

I think I fall into that category, although I wouldn't call myself a Staal basher. I am more of a disappointed fan...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:21 am

czwalga wrote:
wallflower wrote:

Pro Staal supporters

Anti Staal supporters

Most of the Staal bashers also seem to have inside information when it comes to what Staal and his agent are asking for in $$$$.....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:30 am

I am more concerned about what other teams would offer Staal...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby puckeye on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 am

I think he is trying to do too much offensively and needs just to simplify his game, go the net hard and work for the dirty goals. I don't think scratching him makes sense as he is still a major presence in his own end and short-handed. While it would be great to have him scoring, I would just like to see his line control the puck more in the offensive zone to wear out the D for 87 & 71 to take advantage of on the next shift.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:49 am

There was just an article where the coaching staff was praising his game, other than the goal scoring. I think they put him in the third line center role to take the pressure off him to score and just let him do what he does best while he develops. The fans need to back off the daily Staal threads because he's not being asked to put up big offensive numbers now. Last night, he was 60+% on faceoffs and I saw him make some nice plays in the defensive zone. That's his role right now. Staal's not getting scratched, if someone suggested that. Players don't get scratched for not producing under Therrien. They get scratched for not working. Staal is working and he's playing the system well. Not scoring got him demoted to the third line, but there's no way he's getting scratched when the coaching staff is happy with his play.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:57 am

KG wrote:I am more concerned about what other teams would offer Staal...

True. This was said to be a big year for him as far as what type of contract he would end up getting. Now the numbers aren't coming and it doesn't look like he's going to score 29 goals this year. I'm guessing he probably won't get any offers. It would be too risky for teams to justify spending the money. Staal and the Pens will probably end up working something out that they both can live with for the next few years.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Henry Hank wrote:There was just an article where the coaching staff was praising his game, other than the goal scoring. I think they put him in the third line center role to take the pressure off him to score and just let him do what he does best while he develops. The fans need to back off the daily Staal threads because he's not being asked to put up big offensive numbers now. Last night, he was 60+% on faceoffs and I saw him make some nice plays in the defensive zone. That's his role right now. Staal's not getting scratched, if someone suggested that. Players don't get scratched for not producing under Therrien. They get scratched for not working. Staal is working and he's playing the system well. Not scoring got him demoted to the third line, but there's no way he's getting scratched when the coaching staff is happy with his play.

QFT.

Unfortunately, most of the people criticizing Staal won't acknowledge that he does (or is doing) anything well.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CKA24 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't know, i've seen him undress people with that same stick. I'm not real worried about it.

QFT

I like the idea of giving Staal the same amount of time we gave Fleury.

In RS I Trust!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Steve wrote:
czwalga wrote:
wallflower wrote:The thing is though, I'm not some outrageous Staal fan girl who sees no fault in him and thinks he's playing great. I'm just not buying into the idea that he sucks and is useless and should be traded for whatever Shero could get for him. It's the same thing I've gone through with the Whitney bashers; if you don't agree that the player in question sucks, you're "ignoring" reality. Of course if you're only watching one player when they're on the ice, obsessing over how much they suck, you're going to notice every single "mistake" they make.

Most of the Staal bashers also seem to have inside information when it comes to what Staal and his agent are asking for in $$$$.....

While there havent been direct quotes about money only speculation, its pretty well known he wants to be a 1st/2nd line center.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:35 pm

There is a big difference between wanting to b a 1st or second line player and being able to be a 1st or second line player. He has shown no proof that he could be either of those. Forget that 29 goal year that was a fluke. He is not a good passer and does not have the shot or creativity to be an elite player. You don't grow instincts you either have them or you don't. And sorry to say Jordan doesn't have them!!!!!
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:46 pm

IMO, the talk about Jordan Staal wanting more money is just people making an assumption based on two facts.

1. He did not sign a long term extension this summer.
2. He's made public comments about wanting to get "more opportunities on the offensive side of the puck."

Staal, nor his agent, have never made any comments about the Pens low-balling him that I'm aware of. Taking the above comments to mean money is an issue is not a huge stretch in my opinion, but that said, I don't think it's fair to make that assumption and also paint Staal as being a greedy, money hungry guy either.

Why can't it just be that Staal wants to be a better player, believes he can be and is taking his chances that if he accomplishes that this season, he'll get a better deal than if he signed this past summer? What's so bad about a 3rd year NHLer that wants to improve? Just because him being a 3rd line center for the Pens would work out best for the team doesn't mean Staal should be happy to be pigeon-holed into that spot.

I'm not a big Jordan Staal fan (I wanted them to take Toews that year), but the facts are that he had an incredible rookie season offensively, followed by a sophomore season in which is role was completely changed. By all accounts, management feels he excelled in that regard as well. Now he's in his third season, and he's still trying to figure out where he fits into this year's edition of the team. I'm not convinced he'll ever get to the level of a 2nd overall pick, but at the same time, he's only 20 years old and if you look at stats for everyone in his draft year, he leads them all in games played (and goals the last time I checked, though Kessel was closing in). Most kids taken out of Canadian junior that year didn't even sign contacts, let alone stick at the NHL level; they're working on their games to get where Staal is. Staal's leaning those things and figuring out the NHL while playing there.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins