Jordan Staal Question: Is it me?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jordan Staal Question: Is it me?

Postby Eismann on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:52 pm

If Staal officially reaches the "strong" plateau, and RS trades him for whatever reason, it likely will be made possible because Staal's not needed and because the trade ultimately improved the team. Those are both good things.

It would be nice to have 3 tehAwsum centers on the same team. If it's not possible, I'll take the two we have on the top lines now and be happy with just about anything else that can fill in.

In the meantime, I'm liking Staal's game more lately. Hope he keeps it up.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm

You use your assets to fill your needs. Anyone remember Craig Simpson good player who was traded to Edm and went on to score 50 goals. Traded for who? And did that player help win the Stanley Cup? Answer Yes. I rest my case
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:13 pm

holeinone wrote:You use your assets to fill your needs. Anyone remember Craig Simpson good player who was traded to Edm and went on to score 50 goals. Traded for who? And did that player help win the Stanley Cup? Answer Yes. I rest my case

If you were correct in your post at the end of page 1, you can't be correct in this post. A player with a "fluke 29 goal year" who is not a good passer, who does not have a good shot, who is not creative, and who does not possess, and never will possess, instincts - is not an asset another team would ever want.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:21 pm

if i had a nickel for every time I see a Jordan Staal thread.....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 pm

scals37 wrote:if i had a nickel for every time I see a Jordan Staal thread.....

. . . . it would rival the Whitney thread piggy bank? Image
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm

dagny wrote:
scals37 wrote:if i had a nickel for every time I see a Jordan Staal thread.....

. . . . it would rival the Whitney thread piggy bank? Image

on pace to shatter the Whitney thread piggy bank
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Whitney's hurt. Staal's doing an admirable job of picking up the slack. He should be commended for his efforts in the whipping boy department this season. ;)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Ouellet is still my favorite whipping boy. He was never even playing poorly... he was just a mediocre player on a team that had no better options. People just flat out didn't like him. Ouellet threads after every game were so absurd because people were picking on the team's like sixth best forward who was never asked or expected to be more.

Whitney, Recchi, and Staal whipping boy status at least has some basis in reality because they all performed below expectations. Didn't/doesn't make them any less annoying. These things always take on a life of their own and it becomes a thing where people actively look for any mistake they can find and completely ignore the good things those players do. I'd just rather watch and enjoy the team and cheer them on.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'd just rather watch and enjoy the team and cheer them on.

Nothing to add, just wanted to call attention to my favorite part of the previous post.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:09 pm

As long as there are general managers like Don Waddell and previously Mike Milbury and some others who will take the bait, assets to them are just that ASSETS. Even if the asset can't play they are high draft picks. Guys like Brian Lawton, Alexander Daigle, number one picks overall and a number of teams either traded for them or signed them to big contracts. There is a sucker born every minute and you just hope that your GM is not one of them
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:14 pm

netwolf wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'd just rather watch and enjoy the team and cheer them on.

Nothing to add, just wanted to call attention to my favorite part of the previous post.

I think the problem is that people are only able to enjoy the team when they are complaining about it Or they enjoy being miserable. There is no other possibility, its one of those two.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:the thing about staal for me is that, yes hes 20. but how many 20 year olds get regular time in the NHL at the center position? theres a few. mostly big name guys. so maybe the "hes only 20" argument is right. hes only 20 and does not belong in the nhl right now with his role. i cant keep watching him get 13+ minutes of ice time, PK or not, and continue to be so unproductive and down right painful to watch at times.

ive said it 100 times on here. he needs to play a lesser role. 10+ minutes is too much. grinding it out with 7 or 8? yes. let him play 2 minutes on the PK and then dont put him out until the next one or give him 30 seconds on the fourth line. he gets entirely too much time in an effort to let him play through it, and its not happening. of course hes not fully developed at 20 years old, so why do they continue to let him rot out there if hes so young. take him off the ice, out of the line up for a night or two and work on some stuff. this is rediculous already.

If he's playing 3rd line center, his production is perfectly fine. Its at worst on par with the other 3rd liners. If he were playing center on a scoring line, you're post would make a lot more sense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:11 am

Why hasn't he been demoted to the 4th line, or even the press box for a few games? Satan was on the 3rd line earlier!
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:16 am

WWGRD wrote:Why hasn't he been demoted to the 4th line, or even the press box for a few games? Satan was on the 3rd line earlier!

I actually am surprised he wasn't moved to the press box for a game or two, but I really don't think he's been that bad either outside of two games or so last week or whatever. He is acapable of playing better for sure, not even offense-wise, he's just capable of being better in general, but he's been good enough to center the third line effectively for the most part.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:40 am

tombarrassorules wrote:part of the problem most people have with staal, or at least i do, is that no other play would be given this many chances. granted hes played better as of late, but nowhere near what he could be doing. at times he's looked lost. given HCMT's propensity for switching lines up, taking people in and out the line up, dropping guys from 1st and second lines to third and fourth roles, staal has unexplicably been the exception to the rule, mainting the same amount of time. its just hard to get a grip on.

Seems to me that he's been doing everything he could to keep talbot and fedotenko off the 4th line as well, they've had equally poor stretches. Outside of that, there is a difference between dropping a scoring line type player(Satan/Sykora) who isn't scoring to the third and dropping a checking line player who is living up to that role to the 4th.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:02 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
WWGRD wrote:Why hasn't he been demoted to the 4th line, or even the press box for a few games? Satan was on the 3rd line earlier!

I actually am surprised he wasn't moved to the press box for a game or two, but I really don't think he's been that bad either outside of two games or so last week or whatever. He is acapable of playing better for sure, not even offense-wise, he's just capable of being better in general, but he's been good enough to center the third line effectively for the most part.

I think the reason for the satan demotion wasnt simply that he wasnt playing well and MT felt the need to punish him, i think it was to get him on a line where he could learn the system a little better and get comfortable with it by in game experience but minimizing "learners curve" damage since he would be getting 3rd line minutes. Im pretty sure that is what worked for sykora last year and it seems to be working for satan
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:06 am

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I think the reason for the satan demotion wasnt simply that he wasnt playing well and MT felt the need to punish him, i think it was to get him on a line where he could learn the system a little better and get comfortable with it by in game experience but minimizing "learners curve" damage since he would be getting 3rd line minutes. Im pretty sure that is what worked for sykora last year and it seems to be working for satan

I was actually talking about Staal being moved to the press box. I agree with you 100% on Satan going to the 3rd, still not sure if it was necessary, but it didn't hurt for sure.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rohit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
I was actually talking about Staal being moved to the press box. I agree with you 100% on Satan going to the 3rd, still not sure if it was necessary, but it didn't hurt for sure.

yeah but who are they going to put in his place. sure staal might not be playing very well, but there is no replacement on the team that is going to be better than a slumping staal
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:14 am

Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

yeah but who are they going to put in his place. sure staal might not be playing very well, but there is no replacement on the team that is going to be better than a slumping staal

I've been one of the few people that have basically universally defended Staal, i'm not saying I would have benched, him, but i'm surprised they didn't. And talbot could replace him for a game or two, though when Staal was playing poorly, Talbot was playing far worse. Outside of that, Zigomanis, Kennedy, any of them would really be fine centering the 3rd line for a game or two while Staal would be in the press box.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:21 am

tombarrassorules wrote:
Rohit wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

finding someone who can play better there really isnt the point. the point is staal is struggling quite a bit and sometimes a guy needs time to find himself or to step away for a minute and figure out the problem. by putting him the same situations night in and night out where he hasnt had success is doing a disservice to him. having someone who can play better than him in that role is irrelevant since staal hasn't really done much offensively and the pens continue to win. there is also a solid group of guys who can handle some PK duties for a night or two or three.

He hasn't had success as a third line center this year? He had like 4 periods of bad play in that role. The only way benching him should even enter the equation would be if they were trying to get him back on the wing and wanted to give him a game to get his scoring touch, he's doing fine as a checking liner.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:14 am

tombarrassorules wrote:are we watching the same guy? i think hes pretty lacksadaisical. you dont even notice him when hes out there unless hes screwing up. although, i guess not noticing him is probably for the better.

A lot of people seem to think he isn't hustling or whatever, but go ahead back and look at the tape from 06-07, he's skating the same way. He's a big guy that takes long strides, so its gonna look like that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins