History has proven

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

History has proven

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 am

I find it funny looking back at posts that were posted a year ago, here are some thread highlights from early November, 2007:

Worst Defense and Softest Team in the NHL
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18471

MT must be fired
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13735

I find this one particularly funny as none of the players mentioned are with the team anymore..

Why does Colby, Ruutu, Christiansen and even Roberts
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18499

Lack of Passion/Intensity
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18418

this team needs to find its identity....
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18436

Still pickin' on young lad Staal.....

Should the Pens send Staal to WBS for a bit?
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18427

Oh here is another wonderful Fire MT thread.. there were at least 3 a day back then...

First game where Sid didn't give 100%? (MT needs to be fired
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18429

There were a few of these dangled around here.. thank God none of us are GMs!!!

MAF Trade Opinions...
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18324

Now... keeping in mind that this is just a sample of the crappy "doom and gloom" posts that riddled our beloved messageboard over a span of about a week last year. Imagine, that very team that some of you had almost given up on a year ago ended up only 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup.

Lesson to be learned.... don't give up on Staal like you almost gave up on MAF.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: History has proven

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 am

Optimism will NOT be be tolerated!

effing great post!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 am

Oh man did i forget about all the SIGN MARKOV!@?!!!!!!!!!!!! threads.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:47 am

Nice find(s). It is a LONG season. 82 games + playoffs means lots of things can and will happen over the course of the season. I don't start to get agitated until March.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks Hawkeynut, I really appreciate you providing supporting facts for those of us who try to see the "positive" aspects of a young winning championship calibre team.

And history does repeat itself, especially with humans (bob errery speaks often of humans.... hmmm)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Oh man did i forget about all the SIGN MARKOV!@?!!!!!!!!!!!! threads.

Oh geez. I had somehow managed to erase those from my memory.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:52 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I find it funny looking back at posts that were posted a year ago, here are some thread highlights from early November, 2007:

read page 2 of that thread.

canaan is praising scuderi. beast.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:53 am

History proves we are on pace to be wrong often.
:P 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 am

Awesome. It is funny how people have knee jerk reactions to everything and what to do everything to the extreme. Both good and bad.

If a person is in a slump, it's trade the (why would anyone else want them if they are that bad), fire them, etc etc

If a person is on a hot streak, it's sign them to a long term billion dollar contract, why didn't they start all year, etc, etc.

Look at the whole body of work, let things play out sometimes, and make your decisions over a period of time.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 pm

These are some of my favorites from the "trade Fleury" thread:

My pappy told me never trust nobody what gots three names.

I doubt MAF would bring Bryzgalov. It would take more to get a high performing goalie for a struggling hotheaded former overall pick, with a fragile ego, who wilts under pressure.

We are "stuck" with MAF until he develops...however long that takes. We cannot trade for a starter as that would crush his wet balsawood tissue paper confidence. Hopefully we will get a couple of good years out of him before we have to start dismantling due to cap. Though MAF should not demand much until he is in his 30s I imagine.

Would you trade MAF and Staal to the Ducks for Bryzgalov and Perry or McDonald?? I know probably unlikely just want to know what you guys think???

In hind sight, the Fleury trade in the last entry might not have been so bad, seeing as how Perry has become a top 10 winger and A1 pain in the arse - while Staal continues to bumble around most nights. Bryz is a quality goalie too, but I would still stick with Fleury based on age and the fact that he is now a Top 5 goaltender in the league.

I'm glad we are "stuck" with him.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:If a person is in a slump, it's trade the (why would anyone else want them if they are that bad), fire them, etc etc

Trade NAN, he is in a slump. How long do we have to wait until he makes a good post again?? :lol:
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:11 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
newarenanow wrote:If a person is in a slump, it's trade the (why would anyone else want them if they are that bad), fire them, etc etc

Trade NAN, he is in a slump. How long do we have to wait until he makes a good post again?? :lol:

I'm the Sidney Crosby of this message board. My post are always relevant and informative. And if you read them, it will only make you smarter and a better person. :wink:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:32 pm

newarenanow wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I'm the Pascal Dupuis of this message board. I surround myself with great posters (e.g. canaan, idoit, kovy, kicksave, etc), yet consistently underacheive no matter how often these aforementioned posters try and set me up.

:pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:38 pm

newarenanow wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I'm the Sidney Crosby of this message board. My post are always relevant and informative. And if you read them, it will only make you smarter and a better person. :wink:

Streak broken... :P
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 pm

I just find it funny how history always seem to repeat itself. I guess the only positive over last year is there are no "Fire MT" threads around. Perhaps there would be if the Pens weren't so shorthanded on defence. That gives the team a little breathing room. I just find it absolutely amazing of how well this team deals with adversity and change at such a young age. Think about it, a boat load of "heart and soul" guys are gone, their top 2 defenceman are gone for half the season, their 3rd line center/supposed winger isn't playing up to expectations and YET... YET this team is 3 games above .500 and are keeping their heads above water.

I for one have no complaints with the Pens, I just can't wait till Gonch and Whitney are back. It's going to be like a trade where we didn't have to give up anything and Letang and Goligoski are going to have that much more experience.

This has been a great season so far!!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Optimism will NOT be be tolerated!

HAHAHAH
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm

There's always going to be people that post reactionary crap that looks foolish later, whether it's a day, week, month, or even 2 seconds in some cases. :D

The irony is that there is just as much space (if not more) wasted on mocking and/or complaining about the reactionary stuff as there is the reactionary stuff itself.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm

canaan wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:I find it funny looking back at posts that were posted a year ago, here are some thread highlights from early November, 2007:

read page 2 of that thread.

canaan is praising scuderi. beast.

I'd like to see those Melichar v. Scuderi threads. Those would be fun to throw in people's faces.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:10 pm

newarenanow wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I just left my Mensa meeting and I am getting in my car to go and join the Peace Corps. Thank you for making me better and smarter....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:28 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I just left my Mensa meeting and I am getting in my car to go and join the Peace Corps. Thank you for making me better and smarter....

Anytime. Continue to read my work and it will only improve your knowledge and you will become a better person.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Its hilarious how:

-Many people from a year ago are either gone or on my ignore list
-My opinions from those threads are exactly the same now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins