Staal's confidence

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Staal's confidence

Postby maudineormsby on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 pm

So we've seen Staal look dejected and unsure almost all year, and it got me wondering how he got there.

Simply put, does anyone think that if Staal hadn't been kept in the NHL his rookie season he'd be a better player now? Here's my logic:

Staal comes to the NHL and has a fantastic first year - 29 goals! But his second year he experiences a first for his career: his production drops. That's right - he scored more goals coming from the OHL to NHL (28 to 29). Granted he scored less points overall in the NHL, but that has to be expected, right?

So once his production drops, I would expect that a lack of confidence would follow. That, plus the gigantic expectations that come with the Staal name, and you've got a pretty pickle of a situation. I wonder if he had more time to develop in the system if he would be so easily affected by dry spells. I mean, everyone has them, it's how you break out of them that matters.

Secondly, what do you think Staal can actually do to be more confident. He looked a little better v. the Blues and Oilers than in some previous games this year. Is it just a matter of time, or can he jumpstart his confidence himself? Is it something MT should be doing?
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Staal's confidence

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:13 pm

The rookie year put expectations through the roof and they're at a level unreasonable for what Staal seems to be capable of right now. If he had come into the league last year, people would be praising his defensive game and instincts and would be willing to be patient with him. Because he scored 29 goals the year before that, now there's something major wrong with him because he's not a big point producer at age 20.

For better or worse, people need to just let him be what he is right now and develop like a normal player. The Pens may not be able to have that patience do to the realities of free agency these days, but that's no reason to take it out on Staal. I'm about sick of hearing about the many things that are wrong with his offensive game. People have acknowledged here that it takes bigger guys longer to develop. I don't see why Staal should be different. He's being asked to be a third line center now, and from what I see, he's playing good D, winning faceoffs, and killing penalties well, just as he did in the playoff run. We don't need threads after every game breaking down his offensive game.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:39 pm

He needs Colby back to strengthen his confidence Gronk rules
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Confidence is very sexy...don't you think???

Positive aura for a week to the first one who gets that ref.

edit: Staal's been looking more confidenter lately. He's getting confidentious.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Jack Palance was a train wreck. Sexy I don't think so
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby helmespc on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure he lost confidence after reading some of the posts on this board.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The rookie year put expectations through the roof and they're at a level unreasonable for what Staal seems to be capable of right now. If he had come into the league last year, people would be praising his defensive game and instincts and would be willing to be patient with him. Because he scored 29 goals the year before that, now there's something major wrong with him because he's not a big point producer at age 20.

For better or worse, people need to just let him be what he is right now and develop like a normal player. The Pens may not be able to have that patience do to the realities of free agency these days, but that's no reason to take it out on Staal. I'm about sick of hearing about the many things that are wrong with his offensive game. People have acknowledged here that it takes bigger guys longer to develop. I don't see why Staal should be different. He's being asked to be a third line center now, and from what I see, he's playing good D, winning faceoffs, and killing penalties well, just as he did in the playoff run. We don't need threads after every game breaking down his offensive game.

Well put.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Too bad Staal is not an adult and a PROFESSIONAL athlete... Oh wait...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rohit on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Staal will be just fine, I am not worried about him
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Staal's rookie year should have helped him with confidence more than hurt him.

He has all of the skills and talent but just doesn't play with emotion and hustle anymore it seems. I saw him throw the body once last night.

If you hustle and play hard, the stats will come if you have the talent. People are discussing how Sid isn't putting the puck in the net too but he's getting his chances because he's outworking people lately. They just aren't going in.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:25 pm

helmespc wrote:I'm pretty sure he lost confidence after reading some of the posts on this board.

God help any player that sits up surfing the internet and wrings his hands over what fans say about him! :shock:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:He has all of the skills and talent but just doesn't play with emotion and hustle anymore it seems.

Yet, we've seen him do this, kick it up a few notches, in the games against his brothers.

Imo, that's where the conundrum lies.
Last edited by dagny on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby helmespc on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:05 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:
helmespc wrote:I'm pretty sure he lost confidence after reading some of the posts on this board.

God help any player that sits up surfing the internet and wrings his hands over what fans say about him! :shock:

I keed... I keed.... :)
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:52 pm

dagny wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:He has all of the skills and talent but just doesn't play with emotion and hustle anymore it seems.

Yet, we've seen him do this, kick it up a few notches, in the games against his brothers.

Imo, that where the conundrum lies.

I think it was evident against Carolina and the game afterwards he brought his play up.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins