Crosby out for next game most likely

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby out for next game most likely

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Perhaps this deserves its own topic, but what do you guys think about the new injury policy?

I think it's pretty lame. I would think that an opponent would know what type of injury a player has by scouting or video. Not disclosing a player's specific injury just irritates fans.

I don't have a problem with it. If keeping injuries private prevents some hack from targeting it and possibly making it worse, it's fine with me. Besides, I don't think a player's injury is really any of my business anyhow.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 pm

netwolf wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Perhaps this deserves its own topic, but what do you guys think about the new injury policy?

I think it's pretty lame. I would think that an opponent would know what type of injury a player has by scouting or video. Not disclosing a player's specific injury just irritates fans.

I don't have a problem with it. If keeping injuries private prevents some hack from targeting it and possibly making it worse, it's fine with me. Besides, I don't think a player's injury is really any of my business anyhow.

Agreed. I'd say it should be kept inside the organization. The ONLY reason they have full disclosure in the NFL is because of the betting on games.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
netwolf wrote:A big, physical guy that can play, can keep up with Crosby, and beat the crap out of anyone that looks sideways at Sid is going to be hard to find. Maybe even impossible.

Dustin Brown?

:pop:

Pens should have signed Blake Wheeler. He just might be that guy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Elementary Penguin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Rick Nash?
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Killiecrankie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 pm

If Sid is even 75% you sit him. Absolutely no reason to take a chance, however slim on an injury this early in the season and when our depth has already been pushed to the max.

And off topic sorta, but you know who would be the absolutely perfect playoff rental for this club? Keith Tkachuk. Big, strong, great hands. He is much better version of Ryan Malone and is still a 35-40 goal scorer. He isnt a horrid skater by any means and I think would fit perfectly on a line with Malkin. And on the powerplay....oh MY oh MY. It would be completely unfair.
Killiecrankie

Postby Nizzy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Pitts wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
netwolf wrote:A big, physical guy that can play, can keep up with Crosby, and beat the crap out of anyone that looks sideways at Sid is going to be hard to find. Maybe even impossible.

Dustin Brown?

Pens should have signed Blake Wheeler. He just might be that guy.

Is Wheeler fast? I can't remember. Also Wheeler really wanted to play for a team on the East Coast. There was 3-4 options for him before probably looking at the Pens.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Wheeler looks well on his way to being a fine offensive player, but I've never heard much about the physical aspects mentioned above.

Nash is another highly skilled offensive guy, but as with Wheeler, I've never heard much about the physical part of his game.

Both might mesh well with Sid, but I don't think either guy is the complete package discussed above (offensively talented, fast, physical and willing to throw down if needed).

If Ryan Malone was a little faster, or Sid was able to slow down a bit and use changes in speeds more, Malone might have been an ideal linemate. He has good hands, he's strong and very good on the boards, and he was obviously willing to go after people when a teammate was wronged. The difference in speed between them just wasn't going to work though.

The Pens obviously couldn't afford to pay him what Tampa did, and Malone would have been foolish to stay here at any price, but so far this season, I think it's fair to say the Pens miss him a bit and he misses playing here.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:05 pm

[quote="netwolf"]There are a couple a problems with getting someone to rid shotgun with Crosby. First off, the guy HAS to be able to play. He can't just be a one-dimensional goon. Second, he has to have wheels. Crosby almost always plays at top speed. That's part of the reason Ryan Malone never quite clicked with him, at least not to the extent Malone and Malkin did.

A big, physical guy that can play, can keep up with Crosby, and beat the crap out of anyone that looks sideways at Sid is going to be hard to find. Maybe even impossible.[/quote]

****I DONT THINK CALGARY IS GIVING UP IGINLA SO WE ARE S.O.L.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Elementary Penguin wrote:Rick Nash?

Columbus again off to a poor start...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm

netwolf wrote:
Eismann wrote:Bertuzzi, circa 2000.

Maybe if you could remove the pyscho-part out of him. Dude was a ticking time-bomb.

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Dustin Brown?

I don't see him much. I know he's talented, but I've never heard much of him as far as fighting goes. Then again, he's LA's captain and is signed to a long term deal for very reasonable numbers. He's not going anywhere.

The only established guys in the league I can think of that fit the bill are Jarome Iginla and Brendan Morrow. Milan Lucic may end up getting to be that type as well.

And that's where you run into the next difficulty. As guys like that are so hard to come by, the teams that have one aren't going to give them away. You'd likely have to overpay to get one.

Iginala was the only personthat occured to me, and thats not feasible. Brown could play any type of game with anyone in the league, but he is in a good situation in LA and I can't think of a single trade I would make that sent him away if I were the Kings. His contract is probably the greatest value in the NHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:39 pm

netwolf wrote:There are a couple a problems with getting someone to rid shotgun with Crosby. First off, the guy HAS to be able to play. He can't just be a one-dimensional goon. Second, he has to have wheels. Crosby almost always plays at top speed. That's part of the reason Ryan Malone never quite clicked with him, at least not to the extent Malone and Malkin did.

A big, physical guy that can play, can keep up with Crosby, and beat the crap out of anyone that looks sideways at Sid is going to be hard to find. Maybe even impossible.

Two words:

Downtown. Robbiebrown.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Lets get Nash, that may be an option out of all the above mentioned.

Nash has size, hands, scoring touch. I've always liked him.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:Lets get Nash, that may be an option out of all the above mentioned.

Nash has size, hands, scoring touch. I've always liked him.

I imagine Nash will get around 7 or 8 per year, no?
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Hasn't this been the Pens' unofficial policy since CP came to town?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby André on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:30 pm

netwolf wrote:
Eismann wrote:Bertuzzi, circa 2000.

Maybe if you could remove the pyscho-part out of him. Dude was a ticking time-bomb.

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Dustin Brown?

I don't see him much. I know he's talented, but I've never heard much of him as far as fighting goes. Then again, he's LA's captain and is signed to a long term deal for very reasonable numbers. He's not going anywhere.

The only established guys in the league I can think of that fit the bill are Jarome Iginla and Brendan Morrow. Milan Lucic may end up getting to be that type as well.

And that's where you run into the next difficulty. As guys like that are so hard to come by, the teams that have one aren't going to give them away. You'd likely have to overpay to get one.

I'd take the 2008 Bertuzzi for 1.95 mil. In a heartbeat.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 pm

It's annoying not knowing what's wrong or going on -- but then I just think of that Ottawa article from last spring....
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Doesn't. sound too bad.

We won't need him to beat the Islanders, but it'd be nice if he could play.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:52 pm

dagny wrote:ew... It actually caught my attention last night, near the end of the 3rd, I noticed Sid going to the bench looking like he was smarting. He was skating as if there was something wrong.

I even said: I hope he's not hurt.

Then, I forgot all about it til I saw this.

So, am I the only one who noticed this?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:25 pm

dagny wrote:
dagny wrote:ew... It actually caught my attention last night, near the end of the 3rd, I noticed Sid going to the bench looking like he was smarting. He was skating as if there was something wrong.

I even said: I hope he's not hurt.

Then, I forgot all about it til I saw this.

So, am I the only one who noticed this?

I ssee people moving gingerly to the bench all the time but it never really registers. If I were to panic every time that happened, I wouldn't be able to watch hockey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh470 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Since training camp I've believed that Crosby is not healthy. I hope the Pens sit him until he's completely healed.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:28 pm

jmh470 wrote:Since training camp I've believed that Crosby is not healthy. I hope the Pens sit him until he's completely healed.

That could be never. There is always little injuries here and there. Playing at that level is almost impossible to escape injury free.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
jmh470 wrote:Since training camp I've believed that Crosby is not healthy. I hope the Pens sit him until he's completely healed.

That could be never.

Yeah, you can't really sit players just because they aren't 100%, especially not superstar players. He might be hurting, but sitting him till he is completely healthy would be a horrible idea.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh470 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

That could be never.

Yeah, you can't really sit players just because they aren't 100%, especially not superstar players. He might be hurting, but sitting him till he is completely healthy would be a horrible idea.

It's November. This team has more than enough talent to go .500 or better while Crosby heals.

If Crosby's groin or ankle is an issue, it needs to be taken care of before 2009.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44 pm

i hope Sid plays tomorrow - if he doesnt then i think they should shut him down for a couple weeks....he was questionable last Saturday and then had 4 full days off to recover - at this point its better to be safe than sorry Geno can carry the load if need be
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:01 am

jmh470 wrote:It's November. This team has more than enough talent to go .500 or better while Crosby heals.

If Crosby's groin or ankle is an issue, it needs to be taken care of before 2009.

Thats not the point. The point is that if you sit players when they aren't 100%, then getting 41 games a year out of them is a very optimistic projection.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins