Why no Media Guide yet?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why no Media Guide yet?

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:31 pm

Season ticket holders got the Media Guide as a DVD this year, which is just a DVD with the PDF file stored on it. I was under the impression that they weren't making a paper copy this year. You can download the PDF off the official website.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:32 pm

That seems par for the course from past years - I know they were not ready in time for the opener last year. Then the yearbooks are after Dec 1.

The Pens did release a pdf version of the media guide this year - I don't have the link to it but I had downloaded it here at my office. File timestamp is on 10-8, some 15MB in size.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm

I believe STHs got it on a CD-ROM. Not sure if there are going to be printed copies or not. You can download it at:
http://penguins.nhl.com/ext/pdf/PghPeng ... aGuide.pdf
Admin
Site Admin

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 pm

It's nice that they are available as PDF files, but I like having a printed copy I can flip through the pages of.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 pm

netwolf wrote:It's nice that they are available as PDF files, but I like having a printed copy I can flip through the pages of.

I collect them so hopefully they do release one.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 pm

netwolf wrote:It's nice that they are available as PDF files, but I like having a printed copy I can flip through the pages of.

Bathroom fodder :lol:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:51 pm

I just like getting one with "Season Ticket Holder" embossed in foil letters on the front cover. Makes me feel special.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:52 pm

netwolf wrote:I just like getting one with "Season Ticket Holder" embossed in foil letters on the front cover. Makes me feel special.

you definitely are special.

:pop:

judy should get money from the gov't for dealing with you. :wink:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:16 pm

canaan wrote:judy should get money from the gov't for dealing with you. :wink:

I don't disagree. Maybe the new president can make that handout happen. :twisted: :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby In The Shadows on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 pm

The Penguins produced only the DVD-rom media guide. There will not be a printed copy this year...all electronic this year per media relations...

B
In The Shadows
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:40 pm

In The Shadows wrote:The Penguins produced only the DVD-rom media guide. There will not be a printed copy this year...all electronic this year per media relations...

B

I had heard that was an NHL-wide directive per some kind of "green" policy. Any truth to that as far as you know?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I had heard that was an NHL-wide directive per some kind of "green" policy. Any truth to that as far as you know?

Makes sense if it is. I'm sure it's cheaper to just distribute DVDs and it does save paper. It's a bit of a pain but people can always just go and print out the PDFs and create their own paper form of it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Maybe, but a stack of printed pages isn't the same either. I know of ton of those books end up in the trash, but I also know quite a few people like myself that keep them and go back and look at them from time to time. It's a nice piece of memorabilia. Flipping through a book is much easier than popping in a DVD and going through menus, or hopping on a computer and scrolling through a PDF file.

Rather than just not make them anymore, why not just take orders for them? Put a cut-off date for orders, then print them off for those that want them, assuming the number is high enough to warrant the print run.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby In The Shadows on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:00 pm

netwolf wrote:
In The Shadows wrote:The Penguins produced only the DVD-rom media guide. There will not be a printed copy this year...all electronic this year per media relations...

B

I am not sure if it was a league wide thing or not...I don't think so though, because I am pretty sure I have seen a couple of the other team's guides in print this season.

When the media folk handed me my copy of the disk during training camp, they mentioned that it was decided to go all online this season...

B
In The Shadows
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Weak. We should start one of those useless internet petitions to get printed copies. ;)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:04 pm

B

As far as I heard, there will be a printed media guide after the new year or around the new year at least. But they made the cd roms so that people that didn't need the print copy could just have the cd.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:26 pm

Rather than just not make them anymore, why not just take orders for them? Put a cut-off date for orders, then print them off for those that want them, assuming the number is high enough to warrant the print run.

There's probably just not enough demand for it to justify the cost they'd have to put in. I'm with you, I like getting the booklet, it's something nice to be able to flip through, but we're in a minority.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

There's probably just not enough demand for it to justify the cost they'd have to put in. I'm with you, I like getting the booklet, it's something nice to be able to flip through, but we're in a minority.

The 14th amendment protects against things like this. . . oh, wait.... wrong thread! :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Judy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm

canaan wrote:
netwolf wrote:I just like getting one with "Season Ticket Holder" embossed in foil letters on the front cover. Makes me feel special.

you definitely are special.

:pop:

judy should get money from the gov't for dealing with you. :wink:
netwolf wrote:
canaan wrote:judy should get money from the gov't for dealing with you. :wink:

I don't disagree. Maybe the new president can make that handout happen. :twisted: :lol:

And to that I say "Show me da money!!!" :lol:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:33 pm

Print it out and staple it together then! Duh. :P
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Judy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Pitts wrote:

That's NOT the same you doof! :lol:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Judy wrote:
Pitts wrote:

That's NOT the same you doof! :lol:

Thats why you laminate the first and last page.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71crush on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I called the PFO when the download came out and they said a paper media guide was coming out after xmas.
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beech_is_God on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Season tickets come with those white ticket-like things for the Media Guide and the Yearbook. I can't remember which one, but you can only get one of them after December 1, which sort of goes with what 71crush said above. If they weren't making the actual book, why would they include the ticket to get the media guide?
Beech_is_God
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:11 pm

I have those tickets; neither one is for a printed copy of the media guide. One is for a complimentary copy of the 2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins Yearbook anytime after December 1, 2008 and the other is for a a complimentary DVD containing the 2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins Digital Media Guide, good at any time.

I hope the reports of a printed guide after the new year are correct.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins