Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Isles

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Isles

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Isles, a 4-3 shootout win
Something good: Unsung heroes. Matt Cooke, Mike Zigomanis, and Tyler Kennedy were tremendous from start to finish. On a night where Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were both dinged up, the Pens needed someone to step up and that line delivered.

Where they need improvement: Roster decisions. Darryl Sydor was one of the few guys that played well defensively against Edmonton, and he moves the puck fairly well. For that, he gets sent back to the press box. I understand if you want to get Mark Eaton back in the lineup (though that obviously was a bad move), but if you're going to do that, why don't you sit down someone that's been playing poorly, like, oh I don't know... Hal Gill? He's yet to play a good game and he gets sent back out there game after game so he can misfire on some more passes, get beat to the outside, get caught out of position, and add to his -3 rating (2nd worst on the team).

Something good: Finishing strong. It was very nice to see the Pens on the good side of a lopsided 3rd period shot total, firing 18 on MacDonald as compared to the single, solitary shot the Isles put on Sabourin.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Isles

Postby Nizzy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 pm

There is a lot of things that you could comment on from that game. However the only thing I want to comment on is Mark Eaton.

What happened to this guy? I don't even think he deserves 2 Million per year. He isn't the same guy, unless your talking about his still always injury prone. I'd much rather have Scuderi 2 Million per year then Eaton.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Something good- The third line of Cooke, Ziggy, and TFK was awesome. I'd hope to see it stay that way in the future.

Something bad- Mark Eaton was horrid. Play Sydor instead, please.

Something good- Sabu continued to show that he is a very solid backup goaltender.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Gill is a big asset on the PK. He's playing big PK minutes, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the PK emerged from a near bottom feeder to one of the better ones in the league since they got him. I don't think he's the only reason - guys like Fleury and Orpik stepped up their play around that time as well - but that was the main reason they got him and it's paid off. I think he's essential and should be in the lineup every game.

Eaton missed significant time the last two seasons so I don't think it's surprising that he's taking some time to get it together. He only played eleven minutes last night, so it's probably a safe bet that the coaching staff will re-insert Sydor, especially against Detroit. I have a feeling he's still going to make that contract look like a bargain in the long run. Sydor looked like a waste of $2.5 million at times, but he's also stepped up and proved valuable. I don't think it's a matter of having Eaton or Scuderi at $2 million. Scuderi will get more than that as a free agent if he keeps up his play. Eaton signed at a bargain because of his injuries.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:02 pm

Good: Come from behind win. Nice to see the Pens put the 3rd period crush on like they've allowed other teams to.

Bad: Eaton. Looking like Bobby Dollas out there. Not. Good. And forwards, please learn how to shoot high.

Good: Snakebit Pete putting on the million-dollar move ftw in the so. I shuttered in the bad way when MT sent him out there. I shuttered in the good way when he went upstairs.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:19 pm

I just don't think Gill's PK ability is worth it when he's been a liability at even strength. I see him get beat to the outside at least 2-3 times per game, he gets caught out of position (and obviously doesn't have the speed to recover), and his average (on a good night) passing forces the forwards to have to cover more ground to get scoring chances.

Maybe they could help shield Gill's abject lack of mobility by pairing him with a more mobile guy that can move the puck, but Orpik and Letang seem to have a decent thing going on, and I don't know that I want to hang him on Goligoski either.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Well, I'll agree to disagree on his value on ES. His limitations aside, I think he compensates well enough for them to not be a total liability, and like I said his big body presence on PK is something that was missing from the team, and it at least appears that his arrival coincided with the PK finally improving to the ranks of one of the best.

Keep in mind that he's being asked to play a bigger role than usual with Gonchar and Whitney out. He should go back to being fifth or sixth on the totem pole with a healthy D rather than third or fourth.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:27 pm

good: we wouldn't be denied. we were absolutely tenacious in the 3rd

bad: we deal with bad ice worse than any team in the league. why are we always more affected than the other team?

good: goligoski shook off some early mistakes on the pp and put on a clinic for a while in the 3rd.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Stewie from the actual scene of "the compliment sandwich"
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:bad: we deal with bad ice worse than any team in the league. why are we always more affected than the other team?

Although, it was nice to see Staal get the good bounce off the bad ice, leading to his shaweet goal.

Looked like Straka v. Gonchar in 2001.

:pop:
:playoffsRawesum:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins