Nick Johnson having success...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Nick Johnson having success...

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:29 pm

in Wheeling. http://www.faceoff-factor.com/minor-lea ... es-in-echl

He's handled this demotion with a humble attitude and a great work ethic. He'll be in WB/S by the end of the year. After that, the sky is the limit.

I don't think him developing into a 5 or 6 winger is out of the question.

It will be fun to continue to track his development.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Nick Johnson having success...

Postby Paekman on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Definitely not a draft forecaster or anything, but I think that Johnson and Caputi could both be very legit top end wingers for the big club.

I live near Wheeling and I've had a chance to watch Nick so far this season. He seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. To be honest, I think he's upped his physical game a little bit too, which is an area that I thought he lacked before.

Jesse, have you watched Caputi at all in WB/S? How's he doing, or is he not getting the minutes either?
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Only a few times. He seems like hes lacking the edge he had in junior. I think people were ready to thrust him into the NHL as early as next year, but we're seeing that it will probably be a little longer than that. Which is fine, and such is the normal phase of progress for a kid his age. WWGRD and Eastonpensfan have seen pretty much every game, I think. They'd be better to ask.

Thanks for the assessment of Nick. He certainly is a level-headed individual. His agility and board work seem to have gotten a lot better in the last year and a half. I definitely agree that Johnson has top-end potential.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Jesse, good write up on Johnson. What about this Tommy Goebel? Leading the league?

I've seen every WB/S game so far this season. You're correct in saying that he is lacking the physical edge he previously had.

Aside from finishing off a few checks, he hasn't brought any grit, which is what I sort of hoped/expected he would.

He hasn't dropped the gloves yet either, which he has shown he can do in some Youtube clips.

He's still young, and adapting to the pro game.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins