Deja Vu...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Deja Vu...

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:15 am

Did this game remind anyone of the game from last season vs. Sens on Thanksgiving?

The game that jump started the Pens....

Quick Reminder...
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecente ... 22_PIT@OTT

Pens down 5-3 coming into the 3rd. Win in a shoot out...

Tonight...

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecente ... 11_PIT@DET

Pens down 4-2 coming into the 3rd. Allow the Wings to get up 5-2...come back and win 7-6 in OT.

Lets just hope this begins a long string of wins and confidence builders. Awesome comeback guys. Staal was a beast.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Deja Vu...

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 am

I was thinking the same thing. This team has faced a lot of adversity this year, and they are off to their best start in over a decade. The game tonight was a great testament to MT and his team. This team did not quit, and I have to say that reflects very well on the coach - because everyone is not Crosby or Malkin.

The superstars you would expect to always want to battle. Their competitiveness makes them great, but there are 18 other guys on the team, and none of them quit either.

HUGE props to Talbot tonight as well. He was going 200% every second out there. He wanted to stick an L up Hossa's hiney.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:21 am

It definitely did. Definitely the same kind of statement game. Last year it was a bit more important in the standings, but I don't think that takes anything away from this game. This could be a huge momentum push at a time when the pens are already in good shape.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cs6687 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am

Now, it's time to use this momentum to pound the Flyers on Thursday.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cojac on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 am

Kovy27 wrote:Did this game remind anyone of the game from last season vs. Sens on Thanksgiving?

Quick Reminder...

Tonight...

Pens down 4-2 coming into the 3rd. Allow the Wings to get up 5-2...come back and win 7-6 in OT.

Lets just hope this begins a long string of wins and confidence builders. Awesome comeback guys. Staal was a beast.

Yes it did, as I stated in the GDT
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29913&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=575#p690881
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rohit on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am

although its not ideal to be down, im just glad that lately they have been making come backs rather than giving up leads in the 3rd
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am

Yeah Kovy, how did you miss that post 10 pages back in the GDT? Just...just leave.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mjg on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am

cs6687 wrote:Now, it's time to use this momentum to pound the Flyers on Thursday.

Their win today aside, the Flyers have been sucking lately. Quiere left today's game with a "lower body injury not related to the surgery", whatever the crap that means. Thursday would be a great time to put a pounding on them.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am

I'll agree that this was a "statement" game. Not a turning point - because I'm not sure they really needed a "turning point" when they're off to their best start in over a decade ;) - but kind of an announcement that they're here and they're still freaking good, despite the roster turnover.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am

Cup Run 08-09.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby westside on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah Kovy, how did you miss that post 10 pages back in the GDT? Just...just leave.

hahahah :D
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 am

Idoit40fans wrote:It definitely did. Definitely the same kind of statement game. Last year it was a bit more important in the standings, but I don't think that takes anything away from this game. This could be a huge momentum push at a time when the pens are already in good shape.

To me, this game meant clearing some demons for the Pens.

It meant that, YES, they could have won that cup.

That, YES, they can beat the Red Wings.

And, that, NO, the Wings are NOT pre-ordained to win the Cup again this season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:12 am

if there's anything that stands out as a potential turning point, this is it

the first thing that came to mind was the thanksgiving sens win. a game like that has got to cause these guys to bond... they went to battle with the champions, faced adversity, and came out on top together
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tek Jansen on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 am

Also keep in mind that the Sens were leading the league in points around that time, and Detroit is darned close this time. We swept the sens, maybe we'll beat Detroit in a rematch!
Tek Jansen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:09 am

Here's a connection... Ottawa was the team that beat the Pens the year prior to that Thanksgiving game. Of course, Detroit was the team that ended their run last year. As we know, that comeback victory wasn't the last of the Pens' retribution against Ottawa.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:11 am

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off penguin.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:16 am

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:It definitely did. Definitely the same kind of statement game. Last year it was a bit more important in the standings, but I don't think that takes anything away from this game. This could be a huge momentum push at a time when the pens are already in good shape.

To me, this game meant clearing some demons for the Pens.

It meant that, YES, they could have won that cup.

That, YES, they can beat the Red Wings.

And, that, NO, the Wings are NOT pre-ordained to win the Cup again this season.

Oh yeah! Especially with the WAY it played out, monumental for their team confidence!
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jesse on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:15 am

Again, we had won 6 of the previous 9. How, exactly, did we need a "jump start"?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:52 am

Jesse wrote:Again, we had won 6 of the previous 9. How, exactly, did we need a "jump start"?

If this was directed to me: I was agreeing with what this win meant in Pitts' eyes. Plus adding how much, in my eyes, the battle paying off - for this win - against that team, is a HUGE boost to their confidence.

I had no opinion about whether they needed to be jump started. (But you probably already knew that, and this probably wasn't directed to me. :lol: )
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 am

Kovy27 wrote:Did this game remind anyone of the game from last season vs. Sens on Thanksgiving?

Quick Reminder...

Tonight...

It also reminds me a lot of that 4 goal comeback against the Caps a year before, which had a similar effect on the team
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:50 am

To me, between this and the last few games the chemistry and identity of this club has really started to come together.

The last few games, Staal, Talbot, and Kennedy to me have really started to distinguish themselves. Staal that he's not a flop, and Talbot and Kennedy to be more than just energy/character guys.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:34 am

The fact that we're actually off to a decent start is one thing...if we were like 6-5-4, then yes this could be a "turning point." What I'm trying to say is this game is only going to make us better. But yes it did remind me of the Sens game last T-Day.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah Kovy, how did you miss that post 10 pages back in the GDT? Just...just leave.

Because I was out at a bar and didn't bother to read the 31 pages in the GDT.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:01 am

Mr. Colby wrote:if there's anything that stands out as a potential turning point, this is it

the first thing that came to mind was the thanksgiving sens win. a game like that has got to cause these guys to bond... they went to battle with the champions, faced adversity, and came out on top together

You are totally right.

This game was season changing (we hope)

When this team is really flying out there, we will be inserting 2 of the NHL's top defensemen into the lineup. How effing sweet is that?

Fleury stayed focused and is a big reason we won that game too. Not often can you say it was a good 6 goal game for a netminder.

I'm sure it had a lot to do with left over emotions from last June but this really felt like a playoff game, especially with under 5 min left in the 3rd. The best part about that is that the Pens were the team that capitalized on it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 am

Mr. Colby wrote:if there's anything that stands out as a potential turning point, this is it

Anyone else notice (the play-by-play guy on the X mentioned it) that number 11 scored the game-winning goal on 11/11 with 1:11 remaining in the game? If anything, this will be Staal's turning point. Almost unfortunate, if he could have held onto that suck one more year he would have been an easy resign. Ah well, it's better that he's playing well.

I think the team will ride the confidence from this one for a while, and since the Flyers blow right now and the pens always get a lift from pounding on them, Thursday is just gonna add to the wave.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins