Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Red Wings

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Red Wings

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Red Wings, a 7-6 overtime win

Something good: Not quitting. Down 4-2 after 2, Detroit added to their lead with an early 3rd period power play goal. It would have been easy to call it a night, but the Pens kept battling and got back to 5-4. The sixth Detroit goal could have been a dagger, but again, the Pens kept after Detroit. They not only salvaged a point that seemed pretty unlikely, they got two, finishing off one of the more memorable regular season comebacks in overtime.

Where they need improvement: Penalty trouble. Against a team like Detroit, you need to stay out of the box. The Pens gave Detroit 5 opportunities, and got burned on 3 of them. A 40% kill rate is not something you can expect to overcome most nights. Part of that is just Detroit has a good power play. Perhaps another is just how important Rob Scuderi (only took 3 shifts in the 2nd before shutting it down for the night) is to that unit.

Something good: Jordan Staal. The goals were great to see and bode well for him going forward. The play he made to body block a defender from grabbing a puck that had gone up into the air was great, and allowed Matt Cooke to gain possession and get it to the net for one of Staal's goal. However, the steal from Pavel Datsyuk to set up Ruslan Fedotenko was my play of the game. Datsyuk is normally on the other side of plays like that and to see the tables turned was a thing of beauty.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Red Wings

Postby farnham16 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Good: Beat the Wings

Improvement: Need to hit Hossa more next time

Good: Beat the Wings
Last edited by farnham16 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Good: Staal finally woke up. Best game he has ever had

Bad: This was the worst game by the defense. They got lucky the offense put 7 up against the Wings to cover for a lot of ineptness.

Good: that Osgood is not our goalie. Trade goalies and it would have been 10-0 at least for the Wings.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Good: This team finally showed up and played the third period of a game. About time.

Bad: They didn't play the other two periods. At least I hope not. The third period aside, that was one of the most atrocious performances I've ever seen. They got outgunned at every turn, gave up way too many turnovers, took stupid penalties, it was a train wreck.

Good: They did not give up. They saw where they were getting beat, turned it around, and played a solid 3rd. Great tactical coaching by Therrien, Babcock may have outcoached him in the Finals but Therrien beat him here. Zigomanis on the PP when they were done was brilliant, and having him on the ice won that game.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:00 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Good: Structural consistency. Even in the first two periods, when they were outplayed and outshot, they maintained their form. Nice puck support all over the ice, looking to use the center of the ice. Credit DET for being the same old DET: the most coordinated, blanketing force in all zones. When the Pens turned up the heat in the 3rd, they did it with more urgency, but the game play was the same.

Bad: Humble pie for MAF. Going into the game with like a .932 save pct., a 6-spot hurts, and not just the stats. Couple of DET's goals I'd bet he thought he should have stopped. Meh, the win plus his character will mitigate that.

Good: Two in-a-row in DET's barn. Not many teams can say that vs. DET. And the Pens have been the victors in both of these classic games.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:04 am

Good: Never say die attitude. The passion in the third period and OT was also something to behold.

Improvement: Being consistent with offensive pressure. I'd love to see the Pens generate more offense from behind the enemy's net.

Good: Winning faceoffs. While the Pens only won 45% of their faceoffs, it is still considered a victory concerning their past troubles in draws. Winning nearly half of the faceoffs was also significant against a team like Detroit that loves to possess the puck. The huge faceoff wins in the third were also critical.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am

Good: Bob Saget

Improvement: Need to keep the same level of intensity the entire game. Can't take stupid penalties in the offensive zone either.

Good: Bob Saget
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins