Does Malone miss the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby Nizzy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:45 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:That Tampa Bay team is horrendous.

Why they are playing Stamkos on the 4th line, I can't figure it out. Put him up on the top two lines. The kid has skill. See what he can do. Malone has been atrocious for them. Their defense took a major hit when they traded Dan Boyle (one of the stupidest trades I've ever seen). Boyle is one of the best defensemen in the game. He is a game changer. They trade him to San Jose for the centerpiece being Matt Carle and then they just trade Carle to Philly.

That franchise is reminding me a lot of the Milbury run Islanders. It's a joke.

See what Stamkos can do? He was the 2nd line center for the first 7 games, and had 0G 1A. I know he is a rookie however look at other former number 1 picks:

Crosby Assists in his first game
Kane, had 9 points in his first 7 games.

They both arguably had less talent around them too.

I don't follow Tampa Bay but I heard Matt Carle has no motivation and Melrose didn't like that....
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Firebird on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Melrose had Recchi out on the PK tonight. Eek!

But no, I think Malone is fine down in Tampa. They will be pretty decent in a couple of years.

recchi has been on the PK since tampa's first game.

He was also playing the point on the first PP unit for a little while
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 am

I miss seeing Ryan Malone with the pens; he added a dimension to their chemistry. I think Ray Shero saw Malone could hit the lottery, he did, and just decided the pens couldn't compete. Malone is a player I will cheer for when Tampa comes here.

Can't believe how poor tampa bay is doing again this year.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 am

Since I live in Tampa, I've caught a couple Lightning games on TV. From the games I saw, their biggest problem was that they had no real 2nd line center. When I was watching their game against Minny a month or so ago, it looked like the second line was Malone-Hall-Stamkos. From what I've seen of Stamkos, I think he should have been sent back to juniors. I like Hall well enough, but not as your 2nd line center. That is a big drop off for Malone from playing with Malkin and Sykora. Malone can obviously be a serviceable 2nd line winger, but he needs more to work with than that.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Eismann wrote:The contrast between Vinny & Marty StL now and what they were around their Cup run is pretty striking. Still plenty of talent, but the coordination and kill has gone down. TB is going to need a couple years of the same lineup and a different coach to get themselves back together. Stamkos is raw, but you can see the potential. All that said, while I'm sure the paycheck is very reassuring, Malone's seen this type of nebula before while he was here and may have to live and work through more disappointments than he thought.

I don't know about that with Vinny and Marty. Vinny is twice the player now than he was in their cup year. He came out of the lockout a different player.

I don't know about that. They don't look nearly as dominating as in the past.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:05 am

How much you guys want to bet that they A) Will be a lottery team and B) will probably get the #1 overall pick and C) probably pick Tavares (flashy, big name) over Hedman (a "needed" player for their current roster). This type of move would sum up the management strategy down there.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 am

Too bad Tampa couldn't get Malkin to play center for him lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 am

largegarlic wrote:Since I live in Tampa, I've caught a couple Lightning games on TV. From the games I saw, their biggest problem was that they had no real 2nd line center. When I was watching their game against Minny a month or so ago, it looked like the second line was Malone-Hall-Stamkos. From what I've seen of Stamkos, I think he should have been sent back to juniors. I like Hall well enough, but not as your 2nd line center. That is a big drop off for Malone from playing with Malkin and Sykora. Malone can obviously be a serviceable 2nd line winger, but he needs more to work with than that.

I live in NJ and was watching the Devils-Lighting games a last week or the week before and i saw the Malone-Hall-Stamkos line also and started to laugh out loud. I liked Hall also, and was happy for him when he got his contract for TB, 3 year deal for a hardworking role player is pretty good.

You are dead on with Malone being a serviceable 2nd line winger with the right people. He is not a playmaker or sniper, but he is a guy that can complement thus type of players if he is on a line with them. He will bang in the corners and dig the puck out, he will bang in the front of the net to create a screen. He will do all the dirty work for that line that makes a line gone from good to great
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Angle on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:28 am

Henry Hank wrote:He's hurt.

Professionally I'm sure he misses being on a legitimate Cup contender. I doubt he's even thinking twice considering his family is set with all that money.

Something tells me his family would have been just fine making 3.5 million a year with the Pens. Considering the wife is from this area, assuming there's grandparents and what not in Blawnox or in the Rox, is that extra money really going to make all the difference? Or would be giving the daughter quality time with her grandparents at these formative stages a better decision.

Granted this is all speculation, but my point is, sports figures saying that they've taken a bigger money contract for the long term future of their family is a cop out... $3.5 million a year for a couple years is more than enough money.
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 am

Angle wrote:

Professionally I'm sure he misses being on a legitimate Cup contender. I doubt he's even thinking twice considering his family is set with all that money.

Something tells me his family would have been just fine making 3.5 million a year with the Pens. Considering the wife is from this area, assuming there's grandparents and what not in Blawnox or in the Rox, is that extra money really going to make all the difference? Or would be giving the daughter quality time with her grandparents at these formative stages a better decision.

Granted this is all speculation, but my point is, sports figures saying that they've taken a bigger money contract for the long term future of their family is a cop out... $3.5 million a year for a couple years is more than enough money.

You tapped out!!!!!

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Angle on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 am

hahahaha good one Eismann :)
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 am

malone made the only correct decision. taking a deal from pittsburgh would have been personally irresponsible. yes, malone could do whatever he wanted in life with the money from pittsburgh. but tampa was offering A LOT more. and it's not like malone only has himself and his wife to think of. his children...and his children's children..and their children...and whoever else close to him that ever needs his support...get my drift? the world is crazy right now. nobody knows what kind of money they'll be making from year to year. things could go really bad for everyone, so if you have an opportunity to make more money, you take it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am

As if I didn't miss Bugsy before, the commercial on Versus the other night sure didn't help
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Doogs on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 am

shmenguin wrote:malone made the only correct decision. taking a deal from pittsburgh would have been personally irresponsible. yes, malone could do whatever he wanted in life with the money from pittsburgh. but tampa was offering A LOT more. and it's not like malone only has himself and his wife to think of. his children...and his children's children..and their children...and whoever else close to him that ever needs his support...get my drift? the world is crazy right now. nobody knows what kind of money they'll be making from year to year. things could go really bad for everyone, so if you have an opportunity to make more money, you take it.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. Taking the money was the best thing to do for his family and financial future. But for his Professional Career, leaving a line with Sykora and Malkin to skate with Hall and the rook? Yes, I get that he didn't know who he was going to play with, but before the season started WE had him pegged on the second line with the rookie. So he kinda had to have a clue. I see it as a mistake on TB more than Malone, and one they are both going to have to ride out.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:11 am

Yeah, six million over three years is such a tough way to live.

Don't feed me that "I have a wife and kids" crap. It makes me sick.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 am

I really doubt anyone would have passed up the extra $10-15 million or whatever he got going to Tampa. To be able to bring in that kind of dough playing a game is something we'd all would have been lucky to do. Especially considering that he's a pretty mediocre player who rode Malkin's hot streak and a puck to the face for millions and millions.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:18 am

Doogs wrote:
shmenguin wrote:malone made the only correct decision. taking a deal from pittsburgh would have been personally irresponsible. yes, malone could do whatever he wanted in life with the money from pittsburgh. but tampa was offering A LOT more. and it's not like malone only has himself and his wife to think of. his children...and his children's children..and their children...and whoever else close to him that ever needs his support...get my drift? the world is crazy right now. nobody knows what kind of money they'll be making from year to year. things could go really bad for everyone, so if you have an opportunity to make more money, you take it.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. Taking the money was the best thing to do for his family and financial future. But for his Professional Career, leaving a line with Sykora and Malkin to skate with Hall and the rook? Yes, I get that he didn't know who he was going to play with, but before the season started WE had him pegged on the second line with the rookie. So he kinda had to have a clue. I see it as a mistake on TB more than Malone, and one they are both going to have to ride out.

no argument there. his career is probably screwed in tampa. but he had to go.

malone has always needed extra motivation to be productive, more than almost any player i've ever seen (which i DON'T miss). on tampa he has the contract, there's no pressure to win, he has an excuse for not producing because he's playing with AHL'ers and there's no one to rake him over the coals when needed. not good.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:20 am

K2 wrote:As if I didn't miss Bugsy before, the commercial on Versus the other night sure didn't help

Surprisingly, I had no emotional reaction to it at all.

And Andre -- Malone's wife, from what I recall, is from the Minnesota area, not Pittsburgh.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:39 am

I don't think there's any question that Malone is overpaid, but with that said, give him some time. It's 15 games into a seven year deal, and Tampa is a team with a new coach and a lot of new pieces. It's not surprising that they're a mess at this point. But that doesn't mean they can't turn it around, and that at some point in the future Malone can come closer to earning his contract. Malone isn't a guy that is going to do it by himself, but if they can eventually get him into a nice groove with a good center he can work with like he had here, things will get a lot better for him.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 am

I think the funniest thing I got out of that commercial was that they have Steigys voice at the end saying RYAN MALONNNNEEEE!!! I immediately thought "I guess they haven't really had too much of a chance for the announcers to say that this year".
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Malone will be fine. He is a solid player. I mean then length of his contract is laughable but that is Tampa for you...He is a complimentary player.

Melrose will be gone sooner then later. Tampa will not win with their current ownership and GM structure.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Angle wrote:

His wife is NOT from Pittsburgh. (I don't know why so many people think this? :?: )
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Remember, Malone has only performed well in contract years. It was that way with the pens and it will be that way in 6 or whatever years from now with the Lightning and he'll get another great contract. I think we would be seeing the same uninspired play we saw two years ago and what TB is seeing now from Malone had he signed with us.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Maybe Shero only offered Malone a one year deal and that's why he was so bent out of shape about things?

:pop:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:31 pm

netwolf wrote:I think he misses them and I think the Pens miss him a bit too.

Of course he misses our team. People act like money is the answer to all our ills. He's got the money, so he doesn't care now. No. Money is cool in the beginning. You go out and buy all the toys you wanted, but then go back to your normal life. I've made a ton of money, and it's all cool, but life is still life and money has nothing to do with one's happiness. Ryan loved it here. He loved the guys and everything else. I'm sure he'll find happiness again, but I don't think he's happy right now. But I will say that he was right in going for the $$$, as this was HIS moment to get paid. I am sure he would have liked it a lot better if it came from Pittsburgh.

I have no hard feelings towards him and wish him all the best.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins