Does Malone miss the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby CKA24 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd turn down the extra money to stay.

Why? First of all, I love this city. Other cities are great -- I have traveled -- but I just love Pittsburgh that much. Two, and this doesn't apply to Malone, my wife's family and my family are from here. Three, as the poster above mentioned, money isn't everything. 3.5 mil/year is still a good bit of money. You can certainly support a family on 3.5 mil since I'm sure many people on this board have families and make <100,000 a year... Lastly, it's a winning team. A team that you are a figurehead of -- many people anointed him as the heart of the team. That doesn't come easily, and he's going to have to rebuild that reputation in TB (if he can).
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:23 pm

CKA24 wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd turn down the extra money to stay.

Why? First of all, I love this city. Other cities are great -- I have traveled -- but I just love Pittsburgh that much. Two, and this doesn't apply to Malone, my wife's family and my family are from here. Three, as the poster above mentioned, money isn't everything. 3.5 mil/year is still a good bit of money. You can certainly support a family on 3.5 mil since I'm sure many people on this board have families and make <100,000 a year... Lastly, it's a winning team. A team that you are a figurehead of -- many people anointed him as the heart of the team. That doesn't come easily, and he's going to have to rebuild that reputation in TB (if he can).

Its really easy to say that when you aren't in his situation. I like to think i'd ask for like $2 million a year even if I was a 40-60 player, but who knows.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
CKA24 wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd turn down the extra money to stay.

Its really easy to say that when you aren't in his situation. I like to think i'd ask for like $2 million a year even if I was a 40-60 player, but who knows.

ya seriously. when people say that they would take less, its very easy to say that when you aren't in that situation. i dont know if i would take less or not. it would be something to think about for sure
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm thrilled that Evgeni and Sid feel the same. :P :wink: Hope it continues.

Who knows for sure, but it seems Ryan M knew before play-offs began that those were his last games
as a penguin.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby davemess on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I dont have any issue with Malone taking the money that Tampa offered him.

He is 28 years old, with his rep at its highest coming out of the playoffs...... this was his one chance to get that one big contract as a hockey player.

With the type of game he plays its very likely he will be close to done as a hockey player by the time this deal runs out in 7 years.

He basically has to live the rest of his life off the contract he just signed. You cant blame the guy for doing what is right for his family and its long term security.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Why would we want to? He had the opportunity to turn a mediocre sports career into being set for life. His family will be set for life and will have that money to build on the next generation and on. He can retire by age 40 to a life of luxury. Like I said, I really have a hard time believing anyone here would turn that down. He gets to play a game for a living and live by a beach during the cold winter months. Sounds like he's got it made.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby davemess on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:23 pm

penfan66 wrote:This is what I don't get. So when his career in hockey is done, he won't have an opportunity to find other work? I find that hard to believe.

He may be able to find another carear, he may not. I am sure a lot of ex hockey players struggle to adjust to life away from the game.

He played 4 years in college so i assume he likely has a degree of some sort, that certainly helps.

Its tough to ask somebody to walk away from the security blanket that the deal Tampa offered provides. Even more so when that somebody has a wife and kid to consider above his own sporting ambitions.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm

This talk about having another career is silly...Not many career's I know can you secure multi-millions of dollars every year. Malone capitalized off of a career year. He could not walk away from a 7 year commitment, which is why he never lasted to July 1.

You take the long term big dollar contract and don't worry about money for the rest of you and your kids life's, at least..
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:How much you guys want to bet that they A) Will be a lottery team and B) will probably get the #1 overall pick and C) probably pick Tavares (flashy, big name) over Hedman (a "needed" player for their current roster). This type of move would sum up the management strategy down there.

I'm kinda hoping for that because I want to see St. Louis end up with Hedman.

They'd have Erik Johnson, Alex Pietrangelo, and Hedman as their D. That's scary.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby brwi on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:05 pm

And Malone hasn't lived in Pittsburgh since he was 17. He may have had ties to the team, but so did about every other player in pro sports who signed with another team when they became a free agent. Good for him.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Jesse wrote:Yeah, six million over three years is such a tough way to live.

Don't feed me that "I have a wife and kids" crap. It makes me sick.

Thank you. Its not like you can't get cheese on your whopper with 4 million a year as opposed to 5+.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby superconan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Antonio wrote:

Thank you. Its not like you can't get cheese on your whopper with 4 million a year as opposed to 5+.

Ryan Smyth did the same thing before he was traded in Edmonton, talking about how the next contract would set his family up etc..

They were supposedly 500,000 apart in negotiations.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm

I agree with mostly what everyone else is saying. This was his opportunity, and who can blame him? He made the most out of it. I wouldn't put it past him coming back here later in his career...when he's even worse than he is now.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Man, when i look at my PNC balance every 2 weeks it goes up a $1,000 or 2,0000.
And just guessing...I cant imagine Crosby looking at his balance and it goes up $108,750 after each game or $625,500+ every 2 weeks.

Dang.....
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Antonio wrote:

Be that as it may, he can get them many nicer things with that extra 2mil. You really can't fault a guy for taking that kind of money. Anyone here would've.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Why are we still talking about this. Yes he made the right decision for HIM, maybe not for the Pens, but HIMSELF. If someone is going to overpay me for doing my job I will certainly take advantage of it.

Best case for Malone is the clowns in Tampa buy out his contract in a year or two and he is free to sign with another team making the money he should be making. It would be a tough bitter pill for Tampa to swallow buying out a couple years of that contract, but if he doesn't start to perform for them I wouldn't hesitate to do it. These long term deals are eventually going to kill the NHL. Pretty soon players are going to expect 4 5 6 year deals and not take anything less. You are going to have the players like Kennedy,Talbot,Cooke all demanding long term contracts.

Those crazy bats on Long Island started this whole spiral by giving DiPietro that 15 year deal. I don't have a problem with 15 year deals, but they should be reserved for elite hall of fame players like Roy, Lemieux, Gretz. Rick is a good goalie but I certainly don't think he is a sure fire hall of famer at this point in his career.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I understand that this was probably a once in a lifetime payday for Malone. I can accept that would be very tempting.

Some say they wouldn't have done what he did for a few more million dollars, others say they would do in a heartbeat.

My question is, for a hockey player, ultimately you have a choice between making a few more million or taking a little less for the chance to win the Stanley Cup. His life would be no less set with a few million less a year, but how would he eventually feel about passing up the chance to raise the Cup just to have a little more padding in the bank account?

I just can't imagine any player, so close to the Cup, ever forgiving himself for passing up that chance at the holy grail in favor of money.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Everybody crucifies Hossa for taking a 1 year contract in Detroit because as he put it " I want to win a Cup and I think Detroit is the best place for me to do that". Malone takes the money and almost every one give him a free pass so that he can live in luxury the rest of his life. Malone passes up a chance to win the cup and Hossa is trying to win the Cup. Which of those two scenarios makes more sense.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 pm

holeinone wrote:Everybody crucifies Hossa for taking a 1 year contract in Detroit because as he put it " I want to win a Cup and I think Detroit is the best place for me to do that". Malone takes the money and almost every one give him a free pass so that he can live in luxury the rest of his life. Malone passes up a chance to win the cup and Hossa is trying to win the Cup. Which of those two scenarios makes more sense.

There's no guarantees when it comes to a cup. Hoss probably won't win one with Detroit. The odds are against it. Malone did the sensible, guaranteed thing.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:40 pm

holeinone wrote:Everybody crucifies Hossa for taking a 1 year contract in Detroit because as he put it " I want to win a Cup and I think Detroit is the best place for me to do that". Malone takes the money and almost every one give him a free pass so that he can live in luxury the rest of his life. Malone passes up a chance to win the cup and Hossa is trying to win the Cup. Which of those two scenarios makes more sense.

You do realize that you're a heretic?
Watch out for this mentality when you say that sort of thing:

BTW, I agree with you.
Last edited by columbia on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Malone ain't goona win no cup in Tampa. That I guarantee. Let's face it, some guys want to win and some just want to make money. That is why some teams will never win (Pirates good example) Those guys get their paychecks and laugh all the way to the bank. Do you really think they care whether they win or not. They have so much money to spend who cares whether they lose for another 16 years in a row. It is all about character and frame of mind. Too much money and you lose motivation and nobody can tell me that is not true.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Drafnik wrote:
Who cares what he thinks? He had a chance to earn a long term contract by sacking up before his contract year. If he played as hard in 05/06 & 06/07 as he did in 07/08, he would still be with the Pens. Shero and Therrien probably took a longer term view of his professionalism (or lack thereof) rather than looking only at last season.

If you can't handle the truth, don't read this post.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:09 pm

For me, it was the fact that he felt that he had a better chance to win the cup with the Red Wings than with the Penguins. It will be hard for the Pens to get back there after losing, however, winning back-to-back championships is a much harder feat. The contract, although an anomaly, is a lesser factor. He was going to get paid, regardless of where he ended up.

As far as Malone, he wasn't worth what he was paid. Nobody is going to fault him for getting paid while he can, especially if somebody is willing to overpay as much as the Lightning did.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:19 pm

It still comes down to having a chance to win or take the money and run. It is not like he wasn't going to get paid to stay here. He took the money and ran. Bottom line. Hope he loves the losing in T Bay.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm

holeinone wrote:Everybody crucifies Hossa for taking a 1 year contract in Detroit because as he put it " I want to win a Cup and I think Detroit is the best place for me to do that". Malone takes the money and almost every one give him a free pass so that he can live in luxury the rest of his life.

Well, Hossa and Malone's salaries (and overall career earnings) are not comparable. This was Malone's only time to make big money. Really can't blame him.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins