Does Malone miss the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 pm

I don't think losing Malone is a big loss. His money will give us Staal for another few years (maybe even Letang/Gogo as well) based off of what TB payed him.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I don't think losing Malone is a big loss. His money will give us Staal for another few years (maybe even Letang/Gogo as well) based off of what TB payed him.

paid :P
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittPensFan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I don't think losing Malone is a big loss. His money will give us Staal for another few years (maybe even Letang/Gogo as well) based off of what TB payed him.

That's MY job! :lol:
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 pm

PittPensFan wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

That's MY job! :lol:

I got there faster!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I ate too much chocolate today.... I'm so damn hyper.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:43 pm

dagny wrote:My question is, for a hockey player, ultimately you have a choice between making a few more million or taking a little less for the chance to win the Stanley Cup. His life would be no less set with a few million less a year, but how would he eventually feel about passing up the chance to raise the Cup just to have a little more padding in the bank account?

i think the difference in contracts would have been somewhere in the $10 million range. that's too much money to give up. if we're talking about a couple million over 5 or 6 years, then i think he stays, but in this case, the disparity looked to be huuuge.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 pm

Again Greed wins out over passion and character. Hope he is happy in cashing those big checks and hopefully never gets a chance to win a Cup
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:21 am

I doubt his beak misses Hal Gill's slap shot.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:33 pm

Who cares, he cashed in as he should have. Made his own bed.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm

holeinone wrote:Again Greed wins out over passion and character. Hope he is happy in cashing those big checks and hopefully never gets a chance to win a Cup

Give me a break.

People, we are talking about MILLIONS OF DOLLARS here.

Anyone here who thinks they could look at MILLIONS of dollars and pass them up in the name of the "hometown discount" is lying. For us fans, these paychecks are just numbers we read about in the newspaper and discuss on the internet. For these guys, its very real. And if anyone here had a very real chance at shot at a few extra million dollars spread out over a five year period, you would certainly do it.

Let's keep in mind that the Lightning made the stanley cup finals not all that long ago. Yes, the management is extremely stupid and the market is lousy, but this is an age of parody and teams can turn around in a heartbeat.
Last edited by KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm

i didn't realize the #1 priority of a player should be to make as much money as possible. i'm glad he is being exposed for the fraud he is. they got exactly what they paid for.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 pm

If I was Malone and I got offered a 7 year contract from the Oklahoma City Thunder I would take it and run...

It was too good of a deal to pass up...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm

How's the caveman MO making out, bet he's not starving either.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:52 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Give me a break.

People, we are talking about MILLIONS OF DOLLARS here.

Anyone here who thinks they could look at MILLIONS of dollars and pass them up in the name of the "hometown discount" is lying. For us fans, these paychecks are just numbers we read about in the newspaper and discuss on the internet. For these guys, its very real. And if anyone here had a very real chance at shot at a few extra million dollars spread out over a five year period, you would certainly do it.

Let's keep in mind that the Lightning made the stanley cup finals not all that long ago. Yes, the management is extremely stupid and the market is lousy, but this is an age of parody and teams can turn around in a heartbeat.

I'll echo this. I will never ever blame anyone for taking the money. Ever. He earned the right to be a UFA and he cashed in.

Most here would absoutley do the same even if they won't admit it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:57 pm

They wont admit it because most joe sixpacks like us cant even comprehend what it would be like to have millions of dollars thrown at us.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I was under the impression that winning the Cup in a hockey player's lifetime was priceless. That any hockey player would gladly give up 10mil in exchange for lifting the holy grail, even once.

It's not about a "hometown" discount. It's about giving up the opportunity on a true contender for a few million more. It's not like he'd be making minimum wage if he'd stayed.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:02 pm

He is in tampa bay for 7 years. They have a strong core, who's to say they cant turn things around in a few years?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:03 pm

dagny wrote:I was under the impression that winning the Cup in a hockey player's lifetime was priceless. That any hockey player would gladly give up 10mil in exchange for lifting the holy grail, even once.

It's not about a "hometown" discount. It's about giving up the opportunity on a true contender for a few million more. It's not like he'd be making minimum wage if he'd stayed.

I'm sure playing for a cup contender plays a role...Tampa did win the cup in 04 too...They have at least 1 franchise player. They could could become a force easily within the next couple of years...Malone has a 7 year deal...that's a long time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:12 pm

dagny wrote:I was under the impression that winning the Cup in a hockey player's lifetime was priceless. That any hockey player would gladly give up 10mil in exchange for lifting the holy grail, even once.

I honestly think alot of that is talk.

Plus it's not like Tampa is the Islanders they have a strong core to build on, and Ryan has got lots of years left in him. No reason he can't get a cup there.

I really think people here can't comprehend how much money it is. We just throw it around.. oh it's 3 million in instead of 7 million or whatever. Most of us won't see that much cash in our lifetimes. I think it's pretty hard to put ourselves in that persons shoes and say .. oh know we would turn down an extra 3 million a year to play for a contender.

Money is money. People are motivated by money more than anything else. Hockey players would love to win a cup, for some that is probably the paramount. I would say though on average though.. if you give a guy like Ryan Malone a one time chance to cash out on 10 million(hypothetically given your post) or take the Stanley cup... that lots of guys his age or even older/younger would take the money and run.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Ryan Malone vs Hossa, classic example. Hossa has already made his money and is going to make a good dime this year no matter what. He easily selects the team with the best chance at the cup which he is missing. Ryan needs to cash in on his best season ever. Yes he was on a cup contender, but he has a family now and must look forward.

Don't see the problem. He just has to play the string out now.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Ron` wrote:Ryan Malone vs Hossa, classic example. Hossa has already made his money and is going to make a good dime this year no matter what. He easily selects the team with the best chance at the cup which he is missing. Ryan needs to cash in on his best season ever. Yes he was on a cup contender, but he has a family now and must look forward.

Don't see the problem. He just has to play the string out now.

the problem is that people see malone's family as just being him and his wife or whatever kids he has. they don't see that it means something to provide for not only future generations of your family, but also anyone else close to you. it's not like malone's lighting cuban cigars with $100 dollar bills or anything.

you never see an athlete who has yet to cash in take such a drastic pay cut because of a chance to win or loyalty. and regarding these 2 things...

a) even though we're good, the odds of us winning a cup this year with or without malone are not great. 30% at best IMO. it's the nature of sports. a fluke thing here or there and you're done. banking on us getting the cup is a lofty chance to take.
b) why should he stay loyal to his home town? i doubt i'll ever even set foot in the town that i grew up in for the rest of my life. nothing personal, i just acknowledge that there's a big world out there and the best fit for me probably isn't in the place where i grew up. and he lives in minnesota or something anyways so whatev.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Time for me to be condescending again. And, use the word "idiot".

These guys have short careers. They need to make their money while they can. Even if Malone stayed here, there is no guarantee of winning a Cup. The difference in the offers was not paltry, but rather, was $10million or so, which is a lot of more than most posters here will earn in their entire lifetimes, most likely.

It's his money, people, and it's his decision. Any player at all in this league could go to any team for less than market value, for a chance to win, but they don't. They sign where the money is. Nobody in Florida, Tampa, Phoenix, St. Louis, etc etc etc have any chance to win the Cup. Are they all money-grubbing losers because they didn't sign with a contender? Of course not.

Leave the guy alone. He did the right thing for himself. And if anybody here says that if they were in his shoes they would walk away from $10million, when their career could be over in a split second, they are liars. And if they WOULD do it, then they are idiots.

(There's that word again.)
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Honestly, do you think that Malone had no idea that TB wasn't going to be that good this year? He and his agent knew what they were getting into. Most players (i.e. Hossa) risk it for the championship so that they can have that one big payday. At any point in his career, he was never going to get this kind of offer again. He played a great playoffs, way above his talent level. Either way, as the Steve Miller Band would say "Go on, take the money and run".

That option is open to any player. The fact is that I only want the players who want to be here on the team. Guys like Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Whit, MAF, Talbot, TK, etc, want to be here and sign deals before they hit free agency.

Would you rather have players here who WANT TO BE HERE or players that WANT THE BIG MONEY?

That's the question that RS faces and I'm glad he makes the right decision.

After all... think of how his signings have worked out...

Fedotenko > MO
Satan > Malone
Cooke > Ruutu

How many teams could lose the type of production that Gonch and Whitney have put up and still have such a great record?
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:15 pm

I love my job. I have a great boss. And if I stuck around here I could eventually become a judge if I got a few breaks, which would be pretty cool. But if someone threw a giant pile of cash at me I'd be gone. Why should I hold an athlete to a higher standard? Why should anyone blame athletes for doing something they themselves would do if they faced a similar situation?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:23 pm

I was under the impression that every player believes he will do his best to help "his" team win that Cup. Why do you assume Malone has no Cup aspirations now that he plays in Tampa?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins