Bud Light "Difference Maker" of the Game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bud Light "Difference Maker" of the Game...

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Rewatching Tuesday's Pit-Det game (I don't think that will ever get old 8-) ) really high-lighted how completely asinine it is for sports announcers to make their player of the game pronouncements with a good portion of the game left to play. They do it in football all the time at the beginning of the fourth quarter, and they did it in this game early in the third period.

The went to a split-screen with Zetterberg and Crosby, and then talk about how wonderful Zetterberg is and how he was clearly the "difference maker". There is not a single person that could watch that whole game and not see that Staal was the only choice as "difference maker", "player of the game", or whatever other stupid name they want to give it. Why even pick a player if you are not going to wait until a point in the game when an intelligent decision can be made, you know, like the end of the game?

I know it makes absolutely no difference in the greater scheme of things, it's just one of those things that bugs the heck out of me... :lol: :wink:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Bud Light "Difference Maker" of the Game...

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm

I also get annoyed during Pens games on FSN when they'll pick the sandwich of the game or whatever in the first period.

IMO, stuff like that needs to wait until late in the third period.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 pm

And it should. It is only because some stupid corporate shmuck felt it too risky to wait until later in the game. They had to slot it when they did so that the sponsor would get maximum exposure, forget about getting the right call.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Didn't they do that when it was 6-4 Detroit, before Staals last two goals? At that time Staal was not a difference maker.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Jim wrote:Didn't they do that when it was 6-4 Detroit, before Staals last two goals? At that time Staal was not a difference maker.

Thats the point. Wait till the end of the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Let's see
Budweiser is the sponsor of the "Difference Maker" of the Game.
Budweiser wants people to see this advertisement.
More people tend to watch the game while it is ongoing rather than after it's over (who would have thought). :roll:
figure the rest out on your own
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Andrew wrote:Let's see
Budweiser is the sponsor of the "Difference Maker" of the Game.
Budweiser wants people to see this advertisement.
More people tend to watch the game while it is ongoing rather than after it's over (who would have thought). :roll:
figure the rest out on your own

Thanks for the great insight... :roll:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Your welcome. Sometimes people don't think about things and miss the obvious. I hope it makes sense now.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Andrew wrote:Your welcome. Sometimes people don't think about things and miss the obvious. I hope it makes sense now.

And sometimes people just don't think. Let me spell it out for you since you seem to be having a little trouble comprehending...

There is absolutely no point in declaring a 'player of the game', or whatever they want to call it when there is still a large portion of the game left to play. This game illustrated that point precisely. Either wait until the game has been decided, call it the Bud Light "Difference Maker" of the first two periods, or scrap it altogether. Better yet, maybe the whole NHL should adopt this policy you are defending and just award the Stanley Cup to San Jose right now. After all, they do have the best record right now, and who really wants to wait all the way until June to figure out who is going to win, nobody will be watching anyway.

I know that is pretty tough to understand, but hopefully if you take a little time you can figure it out.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 pm

There is absolutely no point in declaring a 'player of the game', or whatever they want to call it when there is still a large portion of the game left to play

I don't know man. I mean, the commentators were professional hockey players themselves. If anybody could make that judgment, I think they could. You should probably just trust them and go with what they say.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Andrew wrote:
There is absolutely no point in declaring a 'player of the game', or whatever they want to call it when there is still a large portion of the game left to play

I don't know man. I mean, the commentators were professional hockey players themselves. If anybody could make that judgment, I think they could. You should probably just trust them and go with what they say.

If you really stand behind their decision without any clarification, you are an idiot. If you want to clarify that at the time, it may have been right then you have a point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 pm

see post #6 for clarification regarding what I think.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Andrew wrote:see post #6 for clarification regarding what I think.

I read the whole thread, don't see it. Where does the professionalism of the commentators come in? I don't see the relevance. Either argue that they need to plug the ad or argue that they know what they're talking about.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:02 am

I started out being a bit facetious, so perhaps the trend continued?
Just messing with Sigwolf. He seems to be wound a little tight
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Hey, they were all over Detroit smashing the Pens. It backfired and you have to love that.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins