Scud Missle a Game-Time Decision

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Scud Missle a Game-Time Decision

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Scud Missle a Game-Time Decision

Postby Nizzy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:45 pm

A hurt Scuderi still better then a healthy Eaton?

How did Eaton get so bad?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Nizzy wrote:A hurt Scuderi still better then a healthy Eaton?

Two really bad leg injuries over the course of the last two years.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Can someone please and I mean please explain why anybody is saying Eaton has been that terrible this year? Yes he is not blocking every shot that comes his way, but remember he is also playing with someone in their first year as opposed to someone who has been an all -star. Your expecting him to be able to play the same way with GoGo that he did with Gonchar? Really? That's not very likely, same as you would expect talbot and satan to play differently without Crosby? This year Eaton has not been able to be a stay at home dman as usual and has been called upon to become more of a puck moving dman, which he is obviously not.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve McKenna'd on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:04 pm

"That other guy could be forward Paul Bissonnette, who started his hockey career on the blue line. Bissonnette took some practice reps alongside Darryl Sydor. His versatility was one of the reasons he made the Penguins roster."

Sounds like either way, Eaton is still out.
Steve McKenna'd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guido on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Eaton was absolutely dreaful on the west coast swing. I'm an Eaton supporter, I remember how good he was last year, before his injury. He complimented Gonchar perfectly. Unfortunately, he hasn't been as good so far this season and has earned his status as a healthy scratch.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocky133213 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Scuderi is slowly turning into one of my favorite players. He has been an anchor back there on both the PK as well as 5-5.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby westside on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Steve McKenna'd wrote:"That other guy could be forward Paul Bissonnette, who started his hockey career on the blue line. Bissonnette took some practice reps alongside Darryl Sydor. His versatility was one of the reasons he made the Penguins roster."

Sounds like either way, Eaton is still out.

I'd like to see Biznasty out there. I've been waiting for a Pens to lay the smack down on Hartnell, and Biz could be that guy. Especially since Hartnell got benched for the 3rd period last game. I imagine he'll be even more of an *** than normal.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Eaton has been normal.

He stated himself that he was to blame for some goals. He's just not been as good has he has in the past, and on an MT run team (especially on D), you don't play if the team is winning.

Because its Philly, I'd play Biznasty.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 pm

npv708 wrote:

Can someone please and I mean please explain why anybody is saying Eaton has been that terrible this year? Yes he is not blocking every shot that comes his way, but remember he is also playing with someone in their first year as opposed to someone who has been an all -star. Your expecting him to be able to play the same way with GoGo that he did with Gonchar? Really? That's not very likely, same as you would expect talbot and satan to play differently without Crosby? This year Eaton has not been able to be a stay at home dman as usual and has been called upon to become more of a puck moving dman, which he is obviously not.

Eaton has been painfully terrible. His pass is no where near what it used to be, he's not blocking any shots, and any time the puck goes into the corner behind him you can rest assured that the other team will have it and Eaton will be on his butt. He's such an easy target out there now. Sydor >> Eaton; Scuderi >>>>>> Eaton.

Eaton was an awful signing - hind site being twenty twenty of course.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 pm

npv708 wrote:

Staal just had a hat trick. Tank just buried the OT winner. Satan just scored 2 sick goals in the past few weeks. MT's on a 4 game win streak. Whitney's still out. Who else is there to pick on but Eaton? :D
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:55 pm

People have variably shifted from praising Eaton to dissing him throughout his tenure. I'd say missing significant time for two straight seasons will lead to some rust. And since what have you done for me lately is generally the way, it's been so long since he's done something positive that it seems like he never has or never will. In general, people find it easy to pick on defensive defensemen, I think, because you only tend to notice them when they screw up. People hated Scuderi for a long time, and I don't think the change only has to do with him improving. I've never really had a problem with his game. People still hate Melichar, who again I thought was a decent defensive defenseman.

I thought the Eaton signing was good at the time and in time I think it will prove to be a smart one. Whether people want to believe it or not, they signed him at a bargain - look at what other like players signed for (Salvador, Finger). Scuderi's not likely to have to settle for $2 million after this season. This things always shift. I'm willing to bet a year from now we'll have threads pointing out what a bargain Eaton is.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Bissonnette as a 4th winger is different than as a defensive pairing. :shock: We'll see who gets the call.
But, no need to risk Scuderi.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve McKenna'd on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Hopefully RS will start talking contract with Scuds before it's too late. It may still be possible to get the guy for 2-3 years @ 2-2.5 million per if they don't wait til the end of the season. It seems easier to talk them into hometown discounts when there aren't other teams throwing offers their way.
Steve McKenna'd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Daniel87 wrote:Staal just had a hat trick. Tank just buried the OT winner. Satan just scored 2 sick goals in the past few weeks. MT's on a 4 game win streak. Whitney's still out. Who else is there to pick on but Eaton? :D

Dupuis.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

FSN just announced he's playing.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm