Pens Powerplay/Special Teams

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Powerplay/Special Teams

Postby FuturePens on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:49 am

The Pens Power play tonight was 1-6 with 1 shot total...which was lead by an individual effort goal that's it...plus they got scored on twice short handed by cheating d-men in the o-zone...was that the new PP strategy...if yes...then we need a new special teams PP coach sooner then a proven winger for Crosby imo.!

Other facts...Before the game the team was ranked 12th in the league and dead last on the road.

I am not aware of any changes being made lately...recommendation?...beside the obvious that Gonchar's absence is more noticeable then anyone arguable though it would be having Latang and Goligolski around...obviously Mike Yeo can't think of any!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens Powerplay/Special Teams

Postby letsgopens87 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:51 am

Trade Latang and Goligolski
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 am

I swear this same thread has popped up around this time each of the last two seasons... of course, nobody really says much when the PP finishes in the top five.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the HockeyGod on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 am

FuturePens wrote:The Pens Power play tonight was 1-6 with 1 shot total...which was lead by an individual effort goal that's it...plus they got scored on twice short handed by cheating d-men in the o-zone...was that the new PP strategy...if yes...then we need a new special teams PP coach sooner then a proven winger for Crosby imo.!

Other facts...Before the game the team was ranked 12th in the league and dead last on the road.

I am not aware of any changes being made lately...recommendation?...beside the obvious that Gonchar's absence is more noticeable then anyone arguable though it would be having Latang and Goligolski around...obviously Mike Yeo can't think of any!

Personally, I'm not sold on this Malkin on the point thing. I'm not saying that's the impetus of all the PP's ills, but I don't think Malkin's skills are being properly utilized on the point. I think he's much more valuable (along with Sid) down low. I think the PP would be much more productive if their two top forwards were both being used as forwards. I know with Gonchar and Whitney on the mend that doesn't leave you with many good options on the blueline ...but ...what are you going do? What they're doing now certainly leaves room for improvement.
the HockeyGod

Postby Easton on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:11 am

the HockeyGod wrote:
FuturePens wrote:The Pens Power play tonight was 1-6 with 1 shot total...which was lead by an individual effort goal that's it...plus they got scored on twice short handed by cheating d-men in the o-zone...was that the new PP strategy...if yes...then we need a new special teams PP coach sooner then a proven winger for Crosby imo.!

Personally, I'm not sold on this Malkin on the point thing. I'm not saying that's the impetus of all the PP's ills, but I don't think Malkin's skills are being properly utilized on the point. I think he's much more valuable (along with Sid) down low. I think the PP would be much more productive if their two top forwards were both being used as forwards. I know with Gonchar and Whitney on the mend that doesn't leave you with many good options on the blueline ...but ...what are you going do? What they're doing now certainly leaves room for improvement.

Malkin is fine at the point. His shot is one of the reasons we even have a PP percentage.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:14 am

the HockeyGod wrote:

Clearly you haven't seen Malkin's cannon. That's reason enough to put him at the point imo. Not to mention he's done a great job keeping the puck in the zone. Gonchars shoes (or skates as the case may be) are tough to fill and no one could do better.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the HockeyGod on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 am

Daniel87 wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:

Clearly you haven't seen Malkin's cannon. That's reason enough to put him at the point imo. Not to mention he's done a great job keeping the puck in the zone. Gonchars shoes (or skates as the case may be) are tough to fill and no one could do better.

I've seen Malkin's cannon. That's not reason enough to play him there in my opinion. My main problem with him up there is that it makes him one dimensional(, his shot, which you alluded to). Malkin has a much better chance of scoring 20 feet away from the net than he does 40 feet away. Maybe part of the problem with the PP in the first place is that Yeo is trying to pound the proverbial square peg into the round hole. Malkin isn't Gonchar. Don't try and have Malkin fill in for Gonchar, just change the PP accordingly to the available personel.
the HockeyGod

Postby bh on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:41 am

the HockeyGod wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:The Pens Power play tonight was 1-6 with 1 shot total...which was lead by an individual effort goal that's it...plus they got scored on twice short handed by cheating d-men in the o-zone...was that the new PP strategy...if yes...then we need a new special teams PP coach sooner then a proven winger for Crosby imo.!

[/quote]I think that Malkin is fine on the point. I really don't like Goligolski out there however. I counted about 10 times last night his shot was blocked. He shoots right into their legs almost everytime (well, except in the shootout, thank goodness). On of those times led directly to the first shorthanded goal. He just scares me on the PP.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:25 pm

bh wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:The Pens Power play tonight was 1-6 with 1 shot total...which was lead by an individual effort goal that's it...plus they got scored on twice short handed by cheating d-men in the o-zone...was that the new PP strategy...if yes...then we need a new special teams PP coach sooner then a proven winger for Crosby imo.!

I think that Malkin is fine on the point. I really don't like Goligolski out there however. I counted about 10 times last night his shot was blocked. He shoots right into their legs almost everytime (well, except in the shootout, thank goodness). On of those times led directly to the first shorthanded goal. He just scares me on the PP.

It's funny you say that, because during the broadcast last night, Steigy and Errey were commenting how he never shoots it into the high forward, and always gets it past him, lol. Of course, I started paying attention to it, and after that comment, he did that about half a dozen times, including the SH goal.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:28 am

the HockeyGod wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:

I've seen Malkin's cannon. That's not reason enough to play him there in my opinion. My main problem with him up there is that it makes him one dimensional(, his shot, which you alluded to). Malkin has a much better chance of scoring 20 feet away from the net than he does 40 feet away. Maybe part of the problem with the PP in the first place is that Yeo is trying to pound the proverbial square peg into the round hole. Malkin isn't Gonchar. Don't try and have Malkin fill in for Gonchar, just change the PP accordingly to the available personel.

How many goals have the Pens scored on the PP this year from 20 feet out? Not many. Power play goals are either scored from the point or from rebounds on shots from the point.

Who better to have taking those shots then Evgeni Malkin? I think his blast tonight even further answered that question.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

They pass up way, way too many chances when Sid, Satan, or Staal has the puck below the goal and could throw in front of the goalie; both because there's usually no one in front of said goalie, or because they're not moving there themselves. They also pass these chances up 5-on-5, too.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
bh wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:Personally, I'm not sold on this Malkin on the point thing. I'm not saying that's the impetus of all the PP's ills, but I don't think Malkin's skills are being properly utilized on the point. I think he's much more valuable (along with Sid) down low. I think the PP would be much more productive if their two top forwards were both being used as forwards. I know with Gonchar and Whitney on the mend that doesn't leave you with many good options on the blueline ...but ...what are you going do? What they're doing now certainly leaves room for improvement.
I think that Malkin is fine on the point. I really don't like Goligolski out there however. I counted about 10 times last night his shot was blocked. He shoots right into their legs almost everytime (well, except in the shootout, thank goodness). On of those times led directly to the first shorthanded goal. He just scares me on the PP.

It's funny you say that, because during the broadcast last night, Steigy and Errey were commenting how he never shoots it into the high forward, and always gets it past him, lol. Of course, I started paying attention to it, and after that comment, he did that about half a dozen times, including the SH goal.

That's one reason I'd like to see Letang step up his PP game a little bit, because I think he has the best recovery speed of any D-man the Pens have right now. I was actually just thinking that during the Gagne SH goal the other night when Gogo got beat, "Man, if that had been Letang, he would've caught him."
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins