bad move on our part..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: bad move on our part..

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Am I completely off my rocker in thinking that if the current defense can hold the fort like they have been there could be a possibility that Gonchar may get shopped this coming offseason?

Don't get me wrong I love what Gonchar brings to the table but if our current block of young puck moving defenceman can do the job why carry the $5 million price tag of Gonchar when that salary can be used to fill a hole elsewhere.

I think Eaton will be retained for that option next summer.

I don't think that it is impossible to hear Gonchar's name come up in rumors in the off season. He is a bargain at $5MM. But with Whitney/Letang/Goligoski they should have enough offense from the blueline next year.

Maybe Gonchar is the piece needed to get Sid his winger?

Moving Gonchar is a very tough move to make. I'll let Ray Ray handle that one :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Gonchar will be re-signed by the Pens to a nice "cap-friendly" deal so he can ride out his career in Pittsburgh.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm

KG wrote:Maybe Gonchar is the piece needed to get Sid his winger?

I doubt it. If they moved Gonchar it would probably be for the sole purpose of freeing up cap space to keep the guys they already have.

I think people need to just come to terms with the idea that the system isn't going to allow for another star winger to be brought in to play with either Crosby or Malkin for the long-term. If anything, it'll continue to be guys like Sykora, Satan & Fedotenko.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:18 pm

I like Gonchar, Letang, & GoGo. However it is completely impossible to have all three of these players after next season.

Letang is signed for 1 year after this (entry level, 3rd year)
Gonchar is signed for 1 year after this (5 mil)
Goligoski is not signed and needs a contract

If Shero signs Alex after this season for maybe something cheap even, it makes it almost impossible to resign Letang & Gonchar for the 10/11 season. At that time Gonchar will be 36, Letang 23. Maybe Letang's blue line skills will be closer to Gonchar's by then. A young Letang + GoGo > 1 older Gonchar.

As much as I love Gonchar, there is no way he should be on this team after 09/10 season unless he drops down to like 2 million per season which is a slap in the face to him. It is in the BEST interest for the team in the long run. Maybe Gonchar will go play in the KHL or something after 09/10. It would suck to play vs him. It might be hard for Malkin too.

Options like you were saying KG:

1. GoGo gets traded at the deadline (this year) maybe with a pick or something for a top 6 winger to help us go on a cup run again.
2. Gonchar gets traded after the season to free up cap space for a top 6 winger, while this is fine only if Letang/GoGo keep improving skill wise.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

When July 1 hits and we already have Gonchar, Orpik, Whitney, Letang and Eaton under contract people will see the bigger picture.

Bring back Scuds and Gogo and we're set. Even if someone overpays for Scuds we just need some depth. Gone will be Gill and Boucher unless they want to take pay cuts. But having 5 solid NHL quality defensemen under contract for next year where 4 of them will be playing 80% of the game is huge.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins