Spearing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Spearing?

Postby Three Stars on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Fleury did the same thing to someone last year. I recall we thought it was highly amusing.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:If this isn't reviewed by the NHL I will lose all faith in the power to be. That not only should have been a Major on Miller, but he should have to sit for 10 games. Total B.S.

That was brutal; a direct spear, and to the family jewels, no less, almost as bad as Messier's shot to Scuderi's the crotch. I still haven't forgiven him for that.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tjand72 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

It was a spear and should have been called, but it's not like he used both hands and tried to drive his stick through Staal. It was a goaltender that was unhappy with a few extra hacks, so he took a jab at Staal.

Nothing will or should be done about this.

Edit: I didn't think he got him in the nuts, but he may have. Still, nothing will be done.
Last edited by tjand72 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

I don't know about 10 games, but he should have been penalized for it for sure. If I'm Ray Shero, I'm already on the phone to the league asking for a review.

Miller looked right at him, took the stick back, and delivered a shot right where he was aiming. There was intent. It was deliberate. I don't see how you can let something like that go unpunished.

Given the way fouls seemed to be handled anymore though, I'm guessing that since Staal wasn't hurt on the play, Miller won't get anything at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 pm

All I want to know was where was Fleury's warning earlier in the game when he got his penalty?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Kicksave wrote:All I want to know was where was Fleury's warning earlier in the game when he got his penalty?

Exactly
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 pm

DelPen wrote:
Kicksave wrote:All I want to know was where was Fleury's warning earlier in the game when he got his penalty?

Exactly

That's easy. Paul Devorski, King of Inconsistency, was the senior referee.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:06 am

netwolf wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Exactly

That's easy. Paul Devorski, King of Inconsistency, was the senior referee.
Thought the same thing when it happened.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 am

I know it's basically cliche at this point to bash NHL officiating, but I would honestly like to sit down and watch a game with Stephen Walkom and ask him to explain these kinds of questionable calls (and non-calls), and how a guy that has a history of doing this still has a job. This kind of inconsistent stuff has been Devorski's MO for years.

I'm even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on calls like the phantom slashing call on Matt Cooke. It's a fast game. Mistakes are going to happen and I get that. It's the obvious ones that kill the game like the missed trip/cross-check on Zigomanis and the spear on Miller. In both cases, clear penalties were committed, both happened in plain view of the officials, and while no one was hurt on either play, both were really dangerous.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stan Potash on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:09 am

don't you realize that the NHL wants every team to have the same amount of power plays in every game? that makes it "fair." it's obvious they try like hell to make this happen. if one team gets 2 (justified) power plays in a row, you can bet the mortgage the next call goes against the other team, even if that means overlooking obvious penalties.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PittPensFan on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:12 am

I didn't know there was a warning system in place for things like spearing. Paul Devorski sucks.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby EagleMorph on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:42 am

What's funny is there were two Devorski's on the ice tonight. His brother was one of the linesmen.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins