Is Goligoski going to be a candidate for the Calder?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is Goligoski going to be a candidate for the Calder?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 pm

He's leading rookie defensemen in goals and points. He's 6th in points for Rookies. Gogo definitely has great offensive instinct.

When Whitney/Gonchar come back, does Goligoski sit? Do you still have him in?

What do you think?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Is Goligoski going to be a candidate for the Calder?

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:34 pm

Seeing as how Stamkos is bombing I don't even know who the other rookies are. I'd say yes because he is not going back to WBS, Letang at this point will go before Gogo does.

And I have these pairs:

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Letang
Goligoski-Scuderi

Gogo-Whitney on the 2nd PP.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Gonchar isn't back until at least March. Based off of his injury, I'm not so sure he's going to be 100% in March. That's a tough one to come back from.

The other main candidates for ROY are Brassard/Voracek from Columbus, Grabovski/Kulemin from Toronto, Wheeler from Boston, and Moller from LA.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm

1 Derick Brassard CBJ C 16 8 8 16 7 4 1 0 1 0 31 25.8 14:14 19.5 52.6
2 Kris Versteeg CHI R 15 3 10 13 8 6 1 0 0 0 25 12.0 17:52 24.3 47.4
3 Mikhail Grabovski TOR C 18 8 4 12 -3 10 2 0 0 0 31 25.8 17:00 20.7 41.5
4 Jakub Voracek CBJ R 17 3 8 11 5 16 0 0 0 0 26 11.5 12:36 17.8 0.0
5 Patrik Berglund STL C 14 5 5 10 9 2 1 0 0 0 25 20.0 13:52 19.1 32.8
6 Alex Goligoski PIT D 16 4 5 9 2 6 3 0 0 0 26 15.4 19:25 21.4 0.

This doesn't include tonight's game.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Someone's getting traded, methinks.... Never thought about it, but with Gonchar and Whitney back, and with Letang and Gogo playing as well as they are (at time, especially this early), what do you do?
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:44 pm

NHL.com Rookie Scoring

Kris Versteeg in Chicago, Patrik Berglund in St. Louis and Drew Doughty in LA are more names worth mentioning.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:47 pm

wondermoose wrote:Someone's getting traded, methinks.... Never thought about it, but with Gonchar and Whitney back, and with Letang and Gogo playing as well as they are (at time, especially this early), what do you do?

Right now, you do nothing. You wait and see how Whitney plays when he gets back, and once he gets some game in, you take a look at where you are, and make a decision then.

Right now though, Goligoski is playing too well to be the odd man out.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 am

Brassard will pull away with it if he keeps getting a point+ per game. There are a lot more guys putting up impressive numbers than our Gogo. It's actually a heck of a year for rookies, just not the big name in Stamkos. A lot of VERY young defensemen playing as well. I forget the exact number, but I think during a game I was watching they mentioned there are 5 or 6 defenseman playing this season that are 18 years old.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:28 am

bhaw wrote:Brassard will pull away with it if he keeps getting a point+ per game. There are a lot more guys putting up impressive numbers than our Gogo. It's actually a heck of a year for rookies, just not the big name in Stamkos. A lot of VERY young defensemen playing as well. I forget the exact number, but I think during a game I was watching they mentioned there are 5 or 6 defenseman playing this season that are 18 years old.

It'd still be amazing for a rookie d-man to put up 20 goals. He's on pace for that now.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:19 am

The numbers may be there, but he's not the best rookie out there... He's on possibly the most talented power play, player for player, in the league. He makes too many mistakes and blunders for a Calder candidate.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 am

wondermoose wrote:The numbers may be there, but he's not the best rookie out there... He's on possibly the most talented power play, player for player, in the league. He makes too many mistakes and blunders for a Calder candidate.

For a defender his age, his mistakes and blunders are few.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:The numbers may be there, but he's not the best rookie out there... He's on possibly the most talented power play, player for player, in the league. He makes too many mistakes and blunders for a Calder candidate.

For a defender his age, his mistakes and blunders are few.

Even so, he is not the best rookie out there. Plus remember that the Calder has been all about numbers the last several years. Goligoski has been a great surprise, but he definitely is not the best rookie out there right now. If he can continue improving throughout the year, he may get himself in a place to be a candidate, but when you have rookies putting up points, a defenseman isn't going to win.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am

I think Drew Doughty of LA is a better all-around dman. He's also only 18 and it's pretty amazing when a 18 yr old dman on a .500 team is a +7.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby emptyfriend on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:56 am

If both Gonchar and Whitney are healthy for the end of the season, Gill and Sydor will DEFINITELY be gone at the deadline, even if it's just for some picks.....then we'll be left with
Orpik Gonchar
Letang Whitney
Gogo Scuderi
Eaton
Pretty good seven goin' onto the playoffs IMO
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby burghsportsguys on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Goligoski is not ready for the NHL this year. He needs another year in WBS. We can't survive without Whitney, he's a core player.

OK, now that myth has been dispelled, so I'm still saying deal Whitney. In fact, I think Goligoski is playing at a much higher level than Whitney did last year.

If someone is willing to deal a goal-scoring winger for Whitney, Shero should be all over it.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm

God, I really missed the trade Whitney threads. This place was so empty without them.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:49 pm

burghsportsguys wrote:Goligoski is not ready for the NHL this year. He needs another year in WBS. We can't survive without Whitney, he's a core player.

OK, now that myth has been dispelled, so I'm still saying deal Whitney. In fact, I think Goligoski is playing at a much higher level than Whitney did last year.

If someone is willing to deal a goal-scoring winger for Whitney, Shero should be all over it.

He was forced into NHL duty with the injuries. He still makes bad mistakes that cost the team and his decision making is still very slow. Exactly what you'd expect out of a young defenseman with little experience. If we had a full defensive line up, he would absolutely be in WBS right now and it would be helping him. Right now, he's forced to learn on the fly.

I don't think he is playing better than Whitney did last year. Whitney's mistakes were magnified because everyone wanted to point out when he looked at the wrong player. Goligoski's mistakes are downplayed because everyone wants to point out all of his good attributes.

I'd like to keep Whitney around. We already have a bunch of guys coming up on free agency, and Gonchar is gone after that. Letang and Goligoski are good on the PP when they have someone controlling it (ie Malkin). Whitney appears he can handle the QB responsibility on the PP. He will be very important once Gonchar is gone. Losing Whitney means we need to replace him with someone because Gill, Scuderi, and now Boucher are all UFAs. Scratch Whitney and that's 5 d. Assuming they an keep Scuderi for a reasonable price, that's 6. 6 is technically enough, but this year shows why you need more.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Samsdog wrote:God, I really missed the trade Whitney threads. This place was so empty without them.

Yep, thats the perfect way to describe it. Empty. I feel kind of sick actually without them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm

case in point to the Whitney comparison... imagine what this board would have looked like had it been Whitney who took the shoot into the Gagne's shinpads, leading to the SHG. With Gogo, more people complained about Fleury not saving it than about the poor decision to shoot AND his inability to slow Gagne up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:54 pm

If he keeps this up, maybe he gets a shot, but I don't think he'll win.

1. Brassard
2. Versteeg
3. Doughty
4. Voracek
5. Goligoski
6. Berglund

is how I'd put the top 6 right now.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:55 pm

emptyfriend wrote:If both Gonchar and Whitney are healthy for the end of the season, Gill and Sydor will DEFINITELY be gone at the deadline, even if it's just for some picks.....then we'll be left with
Orpik Gonchar
Letang Whitney
Gogo Scuderi
Eaton

Boucher says hello.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:If both Gonchar and Whitney are healthy for the end of the season, Gill and Sydor will DEFINITELY be gone at the deadline, even if it's just for some picks.....then we'll be left with
Orpik Gonchar
Letang Whitney
Gogo Scuderi
Eaton

Boucher says hello.

Yep, i'd put Boucher in Gogo's spot, not sure where Gill fits in though, I don't see him getting moved, and he'll be playing in the playoffs. Actually the way it falls, Scuderi is probably sitting as 3rd pair minutes for Gill is the best way to use him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:
Orpik Gonchar
Letang Whitney
Gogo Scuderi
Eaton

Boucher says hello.

Yep, i'd put Boucher in Gogo's spot, not sure where Gill fits in though, I don't see him getting moved, and he'll be playing in the playoffs. Actually the way it falls, Scuderi is probably sitting as 3rd pair minutes for Gill is the best way to use him.

It's also very hard to predict how Gonchar will look upon his return. It may be something where he's back, but it may take him the off season to return to form. I think it's almost crazy to assume he will be back in top form by the playoffs given the nature of his injury.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:08 pm

I see no reason not to try and lock up Gogo and Letang long term, while keeping Whitney as well.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 pm

purelebo84 wrote:If he keeps this up, maybe he gets a shot, but I don't think he'll win.

1. Brassard
2. Versteeg
3. Doughty
4. Voracek
5. Goligoski
6. Berglund

is how I'd put the top 6 right now.

Bingo. Over the long haul, Gogo could potentially jump into the top 3, but I doubt it. His points will dwindle too much as his PP time fades.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins