Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Postby WWGRD on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Great move by Shero.

Best of luck to Sydor.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Trade Whitney?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:47 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:If this works out, it's a great move. If not, and Boucher's timidity issues and injuries are as bad as claimed, we send him to WB/S and open up some cap room! Total win/win situation.

This is a very good point. if it doesnt work out Boucher would be easier to move than Sydor later on. Former all-star, right hand shot, 18-19 goals a few years ago... all better attributes than what Sydor brings to you.

Bottom line, its obvious that Ray Shero knows what hes doing.
The manner in which he opperates is beyond professional and is a perfect example of a GM on a Mario owned team.
The guy is smart, patient, a calculating gambler and class all around.

Just think fellas, we are only 2 years removed from CP and look at this team! Enough said!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Samsdog wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:Best of luck to Darryl Sydor. Once again, I have to applaud him for his professional behavior during his long stretches in the press box, not turning into a locker room cancer, and serving as a mentor to our younger defensemen. Hopefully, he can come in and help fix the locker room strife that's tearing the Stars apart....another guy with that ring surely can't hurt.

This. Sydor's been a true professional throughout all of his tenure here, that's more than you can say for Recchi. This guy deserves a shot wherever he goes, if only because of his outstanding attitude and unwavering professionalism.

I don't know if Sydor would be classified as a locker room cancer, but he was a disturbance and the coaching staff holds him, Recchi, and Roberts partially responsible for Staal's play last season because they were an extremely negative influence on him.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:52 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:If this works out, it's a great move. If not, and Boucher's timidity issues and injuries are as bad as claimed, we send him to WB/S and open up some cap room! Total win/win situation.

Boucher has registered 31 hits in 16 games this season, which would put him third among the Pens defenseman in hits and hits per game. Doesn't sound timid to me.

If anyone should be sent to WBS for being timid it should be Cupcake Eaton, whose purpose on the ice is to avoid physical contact with another human being.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Loaf31 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Wow great deal by RS. Listening to the post-game show, a caller called in and asked about trading Sydor. Big coincidence
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Boucher is obvioulsy not what he used to be, but getting him with only giving up Sydor is a no-brainer...

A mobile, veteran right handed shooting defensman...I like it...

I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal a defensman for a good forward eventually though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm

I thought it highly unusual that Sydor was a guest on-the-air during the telecast last night. Figured something was up.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Admin wrote:I thought it highly unusual that Sydor was a guest on-the-air during the telecast last night. Figured something was up.

Well, now you know that it's not unusual.

I don't see a downside to this move at all.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Samsdog wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:Best of luck to Darryl Sydor. Once again, I have to applaud him for his professional behavior during his long stretches in the press box, not turning into a locker room cancer, and serving as a mentor to our younger defensemen. Hopefully, he can come in and help fix the locker room strife that's tearing the Stars apart....another guy with that ring surely can't hurt.

This. Sydor's been a true professional throughout all of his tenure here, that's more than you can say for Recchi. This guy deserves a shot wherever he goes, if only because of his outstanding attitude and unwavering professionalism.

I don't know if Sydor would be classified as a locker room cancer, but he was a disturbance and the coaching staff holds him, Recchi, and Roberts partially responsible for Staal's play last season because they were an extremely negative influence on him.

The coaching staff can blame whoever they want but at the end of the day they're paid to keep those things from happening. Yes, it's a daunting task, and yes, I don't think that many coaches could handle the Recchi debacle well, but the failing is their own if it's not handled well. I think when Rex was here, Sydor was a bit of a distraction but I think he was kind of following Rex's lead. He calmed down when Recchi left and, except for a few isolated incidents, kept his mouth shut and his comments kept to "it's obviously tough when you're not playing". I don't buy and no persuasion could ever make me buy an argument that exonerates the coaching staff for not controlling their players.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Samsdog wrote:My bet is that RS is hoping Boucher will fit in better Sydor, then once Whit returns he'll deal Scuds or Eaton if at all possible. But he is obviously expecting Boucher to be good because he wouldn't trade one 2.5 million dollar press box player for another. But he's not going to keep that many defensemen, someone's going to get moved obviously. There's no risk in acquiring Boucher and if he returns to anything resembling his old form then he'll at least be better than Sydor.
We will not trade Scuds to make room for a 35 year old that will be a UFA soon. We need a defensive guy like scuderi on the team at all times.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Wooooo official!
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 pm

bh wrote:
Samsdog wrote:My bet is that RS is hoping Boucher will fit in better Sydor, then once Whit returns he'll deal Scuds or Eaton if at all possible. But he is obviously expecting Boucher to be good because he wouldn't trade one 2.5 million dollar press box player for another. But he's not going to keep that many defensemen, someone's going to get moved obviously. There's no risk in acquiring Boucher and if he returns to anything resembling his old form then he'll at least be better than Sydor.
We will not trade Scuds to make room for a 35 year old that will be a UFA soon. We need a defensive guy like Scuderi on the team at all times.

Yeah, I do see your point. I just wonder how Shero will handle that many NHL d-men, though can't argue with the contention that Scuds will probably not be the odd man out.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Billkamm on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 pm

I liked Sydor. He deserves to be a starter in this league. I think this is a great trade. Good for both players and both organizations. Win/win situation.

Thanks for your time in Pittsburgh Sydor. Hope things work out well for you in Dallas (again).
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bowser on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:25 pm

Strange move by Shero to move Sydor and not get some salary cap relief.

Sydor wanted out and a chance to play more, it wasn't happening here under MT for some reason.

Boucher and Eaton will continue the yo-yo until Whitney returns. Boucher isn't the same guy from 3 years ago with the shoulder problems.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Three Stars on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:27 pm

Bowser wrote:Strange move by Shero to move Sydor and not get some salary cap relief.

Why would anyone take Sydor off the Penguins' hands to give them salary cap relief?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Three Stars wrote:
Bowser wrote:Strange move by Shero to move Sydor and not get some salary cap relief.

Why would anyone take Sydor off the Penguins hands to give them salary cap relief?

Exactly. + I don't think they have too much faith in Eaton as of late. In all fairness Eaton has been hurt much of the past 2 seasons so you can't expect him to be sharp as a tack. I also think that Eaton's injury history factored in as well.

Shero did Sydor a favor as well. Sent him to a former team instead of Sydor sitting and waiting for a chance to play.

Much props to Sydor. A constant professional from the moment he was here. I hope he does well.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:36 pm

I'm trying to rationalize it from Dallas' perspective. They're familiar with Sydor, I guess they feel his leadership would be beneficial in turning things around there. They might also feel that given Boucher's level of play at the moment, Sydor isn't a downgrade at all.

From the Pens' side, they do Sydor a favor and give him a better opportunity while retaining their defensive depth, which might be unmatched in the league. There's really no downside to the deal. At worst, Boucher is just depth like Sydor was. I think there's more upside because Boucher's been a higher level D more recently than Sydor has. Boucher is depth that could be good enough to stay in the lineup even when Gonchar and Whitney are back. Sydor was never even going to be close to the lineup with all healthy.

They still potentially could have nine defensemen if everyone is healthy at the same time, but maybe it isn't much of a problem. Gonchar probably won't be back until after the deadline, so roster limit won't be an issue. Having that kind of depth for the playoffs would be quite a luxury. A few years ago, Buffalo had their D almost entirely reduced to AHL guys and fell to Carolina in the ECF. The Pens shouldn't have to worry about that. And of course, injuries are always possible if not probable. I'm guessing the log jam will work itself out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Poopypants on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:58 pm

I think this is setting things up for another trade, possibly trading Eaton, Gill or Whitney. I don't want to see Whitney go, but once he is back on his feet, it could be a real possibility once the trade deadline approaches.
Mr. Poopypants
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Mr. Poopypants wrote:I think this is setting things up for another trade, possibly trading Eaton, Gill or Whitney. I don't want to see Whitney go, but once he is back on his feet, it could be a real possibility once the trade deadline approaches.

Its not even a remote possibility.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'm trying to rationalize it from Dallas' perspective. They're familiar with Sydor, I guess they feel his leadership would be beneficial in turning things around there. They might also feel that given Boucher's level of play at the moment, Sydor isn't a downgrade at all.

i think you hit it right on the head, hh.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:

Boucher has registered 31 hits in 16 games this season, which would put him third among the Pens defenseman in hits and hits per game. Doesn't sound timid to me.

If anyone should be sent to WBS for being timid it should be Cupcake Eaton, whose purpose on the ice is to avoid physical contact with another human being.

Just going by what the Dallas fans said. Boucher has had some shoulder injuries/surgeries, and hasn't appeared the same since, according to them (similar to what happened to Melichar).

As for Eaton, he just needs some time to find his game again; he did miss the majority of 2 seasons due to injuries (both off blatant cheap shots, I must add).
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:06 pm

It's not like Dallas is getting some schlub that's lucky to be cashing an NHL paycheck. Sydor, when he got a chance to play, was doing a pretty good job and I still maintain he deserved to be playing ahead of Eaton and Gill. I don't think he's going to cure all their problems (jettisoning Sean Avery would be the best single thing they could do in that regard) but he's going to help them if given a chance.

That said, it was pretty clear he wasn't going to be allowed to contribute here for whatever reason, so it's best for him to be moved. And since the Pens were moving a player that wasn't contributing, then anything they get in return is a bonus. Even if Boucher flops and takes up Sydor's spot in the press box, then it's a lateral move at worst.

On the other hand, if Boucher is able to rediscover his offensive game playing with the Pens' collection of forwards, it has the potential to be a deal. This is a low risk, high reward move. Good job Rejean.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins