Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:08 pm

netwolf wrote:This is a low risk, high reward move. Good job Rejean.

Seems to be a calling card for RS. Make the low risk, high reward moves then cash in with the big one when the opportunity presents itself.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 pm

All the best to Darryl Sydor. Wish him success into making Avery a mute. :) :wink: Besides appreciating his game, Sydor would always throw a couple warm up pucks over the glass to kids.
Ray Shero in signing M Eaton, picked him over Sydor. With that Shero was still able to pull off a trade that should make Sydor happy.
Mark Eaton needs to impove; based on performance Sydor should have been playing the last 2 games.

P Boucher~ welcome & be at home.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Three Stars wrote:Well, now you know that it's not unusual.

That is some smooth dancing. Thanks for the Tom-roll!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Somebody needs to block Three Stars' youtube access.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:19 pm

GrandInquisitor wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLwEzv_YlXM

always nice to see someone willing to drop them :)

I guess Godard is expendable now. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:19 pm

Kicksave wrote:Somebody needs to block Three Stars' youtube access.

Like you didn't bookmark it, too. :P
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dman66 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:21 pm

we are six pages in and i can't believe the most important aspect of this hasn't even been discussed. is boucher really gonna take tomas surovy's old number when he gets here and how is he going to handle the pressure of those expectations?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Admin wrote:

Like you didn't bookmark it, too. :P

Its my homepage
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cthulhuchrist on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:27 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Samsdog wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:Best of luck to Darryl Sydor. Once again, I have to applaud him for his professional behavior during his long stretches in the press box, not turning into a locker room cancer, and serving as a mentor to our younger defensemen. Hopefully, he can come in and help fix the locker room strife that's tearing the Stars apart....another guy with that ring surely can't hurt.

This. Sydor's been a true professional throughout all of his tenure here, that's more than you can say for Recchi. This guy deserves a shot wherever he goes, if only because of his outstanding attitude and unwavering professionalism.

I don't know if Sydor would be classified as a locker room cancer, but he was a disturbance and the coaching staff holds him, Recchi, and Roberts partially responsible for Staal's play last season because they were an extremely negative influence on him.

Where in the bluest of hells does this stuff come from. That our veterans are the reason staal was sucking? People praised Roberts influence in the locker room. Recchi's as well. This cancer thing is just ridicules.

As for Sydor, best of luck to him back in Dallas.
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:30 pm

dman66 wrote:we are six pages in and i can't believe the most important aspect of this hasn't even been discussed. is boucher really gonna take tomas surovy's old number when he gets here and how is he going to handle the pressure of those expectations?

It would make a pretty funny interview at the pre-game skate of his first game as a Pen...

Potash: "So, you're taking on your familiar #43...that belonged to former Penguin great Tomas Surovy...any pressure in filling those shoes?"

Boucher: "...who?" *skates away*

Just want to re-iterate, nice trade by Shero...Boucher hasn't been anything special this year...but his "potential" (i.e. his play over the course of this year) is higher than that of Sydor's at this point...and since everything else is equal (in fact, we have the advantage of not having the over-35 rule on Sydor's...so Boucher is a waive away from not counting against the Upper Limit, should it be necessary)...advantage on finances, advantage on player, advantage Pittsburgh...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:48 pm

dman66 wrote:we are six pages in and i can't believe the most important aspect of this hasn't even been discussed. is boucher really gonna take tomas surovy's old number when he gets here and how is he going to handle the pressure of those expectations?

:)
Tomas Surovy did score 2 goals on Patrick Roy in one game; I don't know if Mario did that. :P In 06 thought he could be THAT winger for Sid; but no.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:01 pm

This is the third time in his career that he's been traded to the Stars. I wonder what the record is for most times traded to a certain team.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:13 pm

It never hurts to have depth. Sydor was not a fit for this team, so RS gets a defenseman with a ton of upside for the Pens. Right-handedness makes him an immediate favorite for PP time. Dallas people seem ready to hate on him and say that his shoulder ailments have made him a shadow of his former, all-star self, but a change in scenery may be just what he needs.

All in all, the Pens lost basically nothing and gained what could be a huge upgrade to their PP. Also, depth on the blueline cannot be overstated and the Pens may be the best in the East as far as this is concerned.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Tek Jansen wrote:Orpik-Gonchar
Letang-Whitney
Boucher-Gogo

And no more Malkin on the point? I like!
And just think of this, when Sid or Geno pass up to the point, if we have that line up, we'll get some shots on net and not a dump back into the corner!

Letang and Boucher would both play the right side and only switch on occasion to let that point shot go.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Orpik-Gonchar
Letang-Whitney
Boucher-Gogo

I think the only way you can use that lineup is if: 1) Whitney comes back at another level, 2) Boucher bounces back to 06-07 standards or at least close to it, and 3) Goligoski improves in his own end. Skill on the back end is a luxury these days but you still have to balance it out. Scuderi and Gill have been huge on the PK and in turn the improved PK has been a big part of this team's heightened success since the deadline last year. I'd be hesitant to break that up. At least one of the two has to be in the lineup for the playoffs.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:35 pm

I called post game last night talking about sydor. said i heard trade rumors and such and whats that status. Old 29er told me he hasnt heard that and he can neither agree or deny that. and BOOM. they both said hes playing the best hockey of the D and they dont see why he was the man out... best +-. but thats kinda cool i called it hours before haha
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Poopypants on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Mr. Poopypants wrote:I think this is setting things up for another trade, possibly trading Eaton, Gill or Whitney. I don't want to see Whitney go, but once he is back on his feet, it could be a real possibility once the trade deadline approaches.

Its not even a remote possibility.

How can you even speculate that it's not a possibility that anyone will be traded? Unless you have a crystal ball sitting around. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but when Whitney and Gonch return the Pens will be very D heavy. With the possibility of a huge deal at the trade deadline looming like the Hossa deal last year, it may be a matter of getting that one player that will push the Pens over the edge. And giving a team Eaton and a pick or Gill and a pick won't get that sort of player.

Just sayin'
Mr. Poopypants
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wallflower on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Senka wrote:I called post game last night talking about sydor. said i heard trade rumors and such and whats that status. Old 29er told me he hasnt heard that and he can neither agree or deny that. and BOOM. they both said hes playing the best hockey of the D and they dont see why he was the man out... best +-. but thats kinda cool i called it hours before haha

I heard you. :lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Senka on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Neither would make it past waivers..

Good thing neither have to go through waivers.

Why wouldn't Gogo have to go through, he is 23 and has played in 16 NHL games.

I dont see it happening. I see Eaton now being that guy... and depending on who plays worse from loss-to-loss, HCMT will shuffle them out. He shuffled out Orpik last year a couple games i do believe to get a fire started.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:52 pm

This defense has come so far since the days when they were trying to be the soffest defense in the league.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:53 pm

wallflower wrote:
Senka wrote:I called post game last night talking about sydor. said i heard trade rumors and such and whats that status. Old 29er told me he hasnt heard that and he can neither agree or deny that. and BOOM. they both said hes playing the best hockey of the D and they dont see why he was the man out... best +-. but thats kinda cool i called it hours before haha

I heard you. :lol:

As did I. I didn't recognize your voice though. Not that I would.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Sydor did a good job of playing well after long layoffs. He stepped into the Cup finals last year and didn't kill the Pens despite not playing for ~ 2 months. He also played OK this season despite being a frequent scratch. It isn't an easy thing for a player to come in and play at a high level after long layoffs since practice can't simulate the speed, timing, physicality, pressure, etc of actual games. That is the biggest potential downside of this trade IMO because from the Pens perspective, Sydor was the perfect #7 to #9 type Dman.

Can Boucher (or now Eaton) play well after long layoffs? Time will tell.

Boucher still hasn't shown he is back to his 06/07 form coming off his injury last season but if he can recapture that form, he obviously has more upside than Sydor.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Neither would make it past waivers..

Good thing neither have to go through waivers.

Why wouldn't Gogo have to go through, he is 23 and has played in 16 NHL games.

GOALIES SKATERS

Years from Years from
Signing NHL Games Signing NHL Games
Age –NHL Played –NHL Played

18 6 80 5 160
19 5 80 4 160
20 4 80 3 160
21 4 60 3 80
22 4 60 3 70
23 3 60 3 60
24 2 60 2 60
25+ 1 -- 1 --

OK, Goligoski signed his first pro deal when he was 21 so he has 3 years or 80 games, which ever comes first. Letang was 19 so he has 4 years and 160 games. Neither are close to using up eligibility right now. Gogo will be close right about the time Gonchar comes back.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Orpik-Gonchar
Letang-Whitney
Boucher-Gogo

I think the only way you can use that lineup is if: 1) Whitney comes back at another level, 2) Boucher bounces back to 06-07 standards or at least close to it, and 3) Goligoski improves in his own end. Skill on the back end is a luxury these days but you still have to balance it out. Scuderi and Gill have been huge on the PK and in turn the improved PK has been a big part of this team's heightened success since the deadline last year. I'd be hesitant to break that up. At least one of the two has to be in the lineup for the playoffs.

Scuds has been the 2nd best defenseman behind Orpik.

When Whitney comes back I expect him to be playing 2nd pair with Scuderi and then the 3rd pair will be Gogo with Eaton, Gill or Boucher.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins