Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 am

Why was Dom Moore unhappy?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:44 am

the TSN story no longer references RDS, and states it is pending the trade call to the NHL, due at 11am.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:47 am

Kicksave wrote:Why was Dom Moore unhappy?

I don't know if Moore was actually unhappy, but I think even Shero admitted he made the move for Moore's benefit so he could get more playing time. By that point, Talbot had passed him on the depth chart and he was stuck on the fourth line.

TSN also is confirming it on their own so this appears official:

The deal is pending completion of the trade call with the National Hockey League, which is scheduled for 11am et/8am pt today.

I don't really see what's in this for Dallas. I'm going to guess Boucher isn't the same player he as an All-Star two years ago, but he's still been one of their top defensemen post lockout. He was injured much of last season. I don't know what his problem has been this year. I'm eager to see him. If he returns to form, you have to figure he's going to be a permanent cog in the lineup even after Whitney and Gonchar return.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:49 am

André wrote:Could Vrbata be a good winger for Sid? Guessing Tampa could let him go for a reasonable return.

Please no. Please.

Vrbata has been absolutely awful this whole season.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:49 am

Very unexpected. Now who sits? Eaton? Then who sits when Whitney returns? Someone's got to go...

Letang to WBS?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am

Karl_Racki wrote:I will believe it when it hits TSN, NHL.com, or CBC. Until then I don't trust what I can't read..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256157& ... dlines_nhl
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:53 am

Corvidae wrote:Very unexpected. Now who sits? Eaton? Then who sits when Whitney returns? Someone's got to go...

Letang to WBS?

Gogo would go to WBS before Letang.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Member on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:54 am

Corvidae wrote:Very unexpected. Now who sits? Eaton? Then who sits when Whitney returns?

Gill.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:55 am

relantel wrote:the TSN story no longer references RDS, and states it is pending the trade call to the NHL, due at 11am.

Once the Pens site has it, I'll be totally sold.

It almost seems too good to be true that we could get someone like that just for Sydor.

Btw, Boucher is averaging 22 minutes per game, leads the Stars in blocked shots, and is 4th in hits.

I'm still thinking something has to be added... a late round pick.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:57 am

Corvidae wrote:Very unexpected. Now who sits? Eaton? Then who sits when Whitney returns? Someone's got to go...

Letang to WBS?

Gill please.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:57 am

I don't see anyway Letang ever plays in the AHL again. He's playing great hockey. Eaton will sit for now, although he might rotate with Boucher depending on how he does. It's too early to tell what will happen by the time Whitney and Gonchar are back because nobody knows who will get injured and how players will be playing. I know it's probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but if everyone is healthy by the playoffs, I'd sit Goligoski. I love the guy and think he has awesome upside, but he's mistake-prone as a rookie defenseman will be. I'd hold him out of the playoffs this year as long as they have other options. I think Letang's earned his spot because he's doing the little things defensively to make a difference. Goligoski has mostly made his mark on the PP where he won't be needed when Gonchar and Whitney are around.

We're also assuming Boucher is still a good defenseman. He could always be a bust. I like the risk because he's definitely got a better upside than Sydor right now. At worst, they both were going to be irrelevant when other guys come back.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't see anyway Letang ever plays in the AHL again. He's playing great hockey. Eaton will sit for now, although he might rotate with Boucher depending on how he does. It's too early to tell what will happen by the time Whitney and Gonchar are back because nobody knows who will get injured and how players will be playing. I know it's probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but if everyone is healthy by the playoffs, I'd sit Goligoski. I love the guy and think he has awesome upside, but he's mistake-prone as a rookie defenseman will be. I'd hold him out of the playoffs this year as long as they have other options. I think Letang's earned his spot because he's doing the little things defensively to make a difference. Goligoski has mostly made his mark on the PP where he won't be needed when Gonchar and Whitney are around.

We're also assuming Boucher is still a good defenseman. He could always be a bust. I like the risk because he's definitely got a better upside than Sydor right now. At worst, they both were going to be irrelevant when other guys come back.

Very well said.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Letang to WBS?

Why the hell is everyone saying to sit or send down Letang?? Am I missing something here? Letang is never going back to the AHL again! Gogo would go before him, but I really, really, REALLY do not see either one leaving the NHL anytime soon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:04 pm

No one on Dallas' squad has played well this year. The chemistry of that entire team is bad.

The Stars fans are correct in saying Boucher isn't playing as well as he used to. He's had two shoulder injuries and has become a bit more timid.

However, saying he's garbage is simply not true. He's still a solid veteran who steps his game up at big moments and can play both sides of the ice effectively.

It's a good band-aid for this year. And when Whitney and Gonchar return, it'll be fun to watch Letang, Boucher, Gonchar and Whitney move the puck.

Even taking into account Boucher's struggles this year, he's better than Sydor in virtually every aspect.
Last edited by Jesse on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Letang to WBS?

When Whitney returns:

Whitney-Orpik
Letang-Scuderi
Goligoski-Boucher

When Gonchar returns:

A lot can happen between now and March-April. So, we should not even be worried about that. And in my opinion, what a great dilemma to be in when 55 returns to the lineup.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrBrightside on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Letang leads all Penguin defensemen in ice time. I don't think he's going to be demoted.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:Neither would make it past waivers..

Good thing neither have to go through waivers.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 pm

My bet is that RS is hoping Boucher will fit in better Sydor, then once Whit returns he'll deal Scuds or Eaton if at all possible. But he is obviously expecting Boucher to be good because he wouldn't trade one 2.5 million dollar press box player for another. But he's not going to keep that many defensemen, someone's going to get moved obviously. There's no risk in acquiring Boucher and if he returns to anything resembling his old form then he'll at least be better than Sydor.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:13 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Awesome.

I love Boucher. How weird though that just a few hours ago, FSN was interviewing, and now boom he's gone.

i had a feeling that something was up during that interview. At the end of it Stiegy made a comment like "thanks for taking the time to talk... cant wait to see you back on the ice" and Sydor had this look of like UM YEAH... like he knew something was in the works.

I like Sydor. He's a solid guy and player. We just have way too many solid dmen now. Our young guys are studs. And if anything we need some more brawn... Boucher gives that to us.

Thanks for the efforts and professional approach to being with the Pens DS! Best of luck!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Samsdog wrote:My bet is that RS is hoping Boucher will fit in better Sydor, then once Whit returns he'll deal Scuds or Eaton if at all possible. But he is obviously expecting Boucher to be good because he wouldn't trade one 2.5 million dollar press box player for another. But he's not going to keep that many defensemen, someone's going to get moved obviously. There's no risk in acquiring Boucher and if he returns to anything resembling his old form then he'll at least be better than Sydor.

I think the whole thing about sending people down/trading them is kind of silly right now. The Pens aren't immune to further injuries. I doubt anyone goes anywhere until the deadline, if at all. And I'd be willing to bet Shero carries 8 defensemen into the playoffs. The last thing we need is to trade our guys for parts or picks only to find out in the 2nd or 3rd round that we needed them after all.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:

Letang to WBS?

Letang on waivers? :roll:

He wouldn't have to be put on waivers to be sent down. I think he would go before GoGo. I do have trouble believe Shero just signed Eaton for $2 milliion/year to sit, but then again, look what happened to Sydor.
Last edited by Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 pm

The best part of this deal is that we got rid of an over-35 contract for a contract that doesn't have those handcuffs on it.

If this works out, it's a great move. If not, and Boucher's timidity issues and injuries are as bad as claimed, we send him to WB/S and open up some cap room! Total win/win situation.

Best of luck to Darryl Sydor. Once again, I have to applaud him for his professional behavior during his long stretches in the press box, not turning into a locker room cancer, and serving as a mentor to our younger defensemen. Hopefully, he can come in and help fix the locker room strife that's tearing the Stars apart....another guy with that ring surely can't hurt.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:26 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:Best of luck to Darryl Sydor. Once again, I have to applaud him for his professional behavior during his long stretches in the press box, not turning into a locker room cancer, and serving as a mentor to our younger defensemen. Hopefully, he can come in and help fix the locker room strife that's tearing the Stars apart....another guy with that ring surely can't hurt.

This. Sydor's been a true professional throughout all of his tenure here, that's more than you can say for Recchi. This guy deserves a shot wherever he goes, if only because of his outstanding attitude and unwavering professionalism.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 pm

cs6687 wrote:Pens are upgrading defense when they were ranked in the top 10 in fewest goals allowed until the Detroit game. Flyers are talking to Shanahan when they are near the top in goals allowed. You tell me, which team gets it?

excellent post
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Great move by RS. Boucher is big, 6'3" 225. Sydor did a good job while here but I really think that this trade makes future trades more possible. At most we were hoping to get a low round pick. Should Boucher come in and play well, maybe we get more for him. This is a no risk high reward move by Shero. Eaton better pick up his game because his competition just got better.

Oh and someone may have mentioned this but, Bouch is a Righty!
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins