This Years Team Better Then Last Year?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

This Years Team Better Then Last Year?

Postby joe on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 am

I realize it's early but is it crazy to say this team is better then last year?

Shero has done it again. Every move he makes turns to gold. How many of us were stunned to learn satan and fedentenko were coming here. They have both been exceeded expectations.

The young guys are really stepping it up. The pens are blessed with an abundance of defenseman.

The goaltenders are solid. Every line looks great. The pens third line might be the best line in hockey. Welcome back jordan staal! :)

The zigomanis (sp) deal before the season started gave the pens their best faceoff man.

Once the pens get their power play going watch out. This team is so much fun to watch.

I realize the season is long and health is always issue. This team no matter the adversity just shakes it off and reaches down for more.

Does anyone really miss the players that left the pens over the summer? Who would have thought hossa and malone are gone and the pens are just as formidable! :)
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: This Years Team Better Then Last Year?

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:46 am

I, for one, miss Hossa and Malone.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 am

I know I make a lot of dumb jokes about wishing Hossa's failure but I will admit that I wanted him to stay and still miss that kind of talent even though it was short lived. It was fun being that offensively scary. I also miss some of the guys personalities, like Ruutu. WWGRD was fun to me, even though it annoyed some people. So there are things I admit I miss, and players with what they brought to the team that I miss....

...but...

You can't look back! So far Shero has been turning a situation of potential lemons into lemonade and I love our new guys. We lost Hossa and Malone but at the same time, our young penguins in the core are older and more developed. There's some intangibles and experience that the players gained despite losing in the finals that they did not have last year. Talent alone does not win Cups so I think our experience is just another piece to the puzzle and we're getting there!

When the Pens first started playing the Red Wings in the finals, they seemed in awe of Detroit and just being in that situation. But even in that series alone they grew in leaps and bounds and I'm seeing it carry over into the season now despite having to deal with a new roster. Crosby has unfinished business and his determination and work ethic is contagious. They all know they are part of something really special, especially with the sick talent we have, and it inspires all the guys to step up.

Only time will tell what this means come springtime but right now I'm more optimistic than I thought I would be. I don't know if, on paper, we're better than what we had in the spring, but there's a lot of things we've gained that do help ease the sting of what we did lose. And who knows what kind of players might join our fold come early spring. It's a great day for hockey, indeed. :)
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jasmine on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:25 am

Yes.

Cooke is better than Ruutu who is already suspended (the refs hate him), Godard is more useful than BGL, Staal is or will be better than Malone, Letang and Gogo getting invaluable experience, Sabu is as good as Conks . . . I mean what's NOT better? Get over Hossa - ONE guy won't win the Cup unless he's Sidney Crosby - who is the reason this team will buck the odds of the SCF loser not getting back the following year. This team will win the Cup in 2009 largely due to Sid's unparalled determination and desire.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:43 am

Geno is a complete and absolute BEAST -- his raw skill and talent is so incredibly scary -- and not to take away from how far he has come in earning his "A". But overall, besides his own talent, what Sid brings in work ethic and leadership for the Penguins DOES answer Semin's question of what's so special about him.

Okay, I'm done gushing for now. :oops:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 am

Comparing the Pens this time last year we had these lines:

Malone-Crosby-Sykora
Staal-Malkin-Recchi
Roberts-Christensen-Hall
Ruutu-Talbot-Laraque

Gonchar-Eaton
Scuderi-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

I think we're a bit better. Any talk of Hossa should be saved for at the deadline to see how we are doing then and if Shero can grab a similar player.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 am

I think the team as of right now at this point of the season is definitely better than last year's after the same number of games. As far as better than the team as it was in the Cupo finals, I'd say definitely not yet. Lot of the season to go through and it really matters where you finish, not start. Last year at about this time Ottawa looked virtually unbeatable and then just squeaked into the playoffs where they proceeded to wither up and die.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am

Yes, I believe they actually are. Miroslav Satan, although not the complete player Hossa is, has been very productive on the first line with Sid and is much better in his own zone than I thought he would be. Fedotenko has looked good since moving to Malkin's line and appears to have found a home. The biggest suprise to me though has been how well Matt Cooke has played since he was put on the third line with Kennedy and Staal. I loved Ruutu and what he brought to this team but Matt Cooke has replaced everything that Jaarko used to give the Pens while playing a much more disciplined game, no stupid penalties. Cooke and TK's speed and forechecking have really helped take some pressure off Staal and let him play a more simplified game. The third line's play is really what makes me think this team is better than last year's version, they could roll 3 lines last year that played well in their own end but now all 3 have the ability to carry the team offensively. When you also consider they are 11-4-2 and haven't had Gonchar or Whitney play one minute yet, you really have to start to think that this team is better than last year's version.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mjg on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:...what Sid brings in work ethic and leadership for the Penguins DOES answer Semin's question of what's so special about him.

Semin will find out about Crosby sometime in the spring. That joker better hope they don't see the Pens in the playoffs. Sid looks like a nice kid, but he knows how to turn something like into a torturous lesson for the offender.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Offensively the Pens are far better this year.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:36 pm

DelPen wrote:Comparing the Pens this time last year we had these lines:

Malone-Crosby-Sykora
Staal-Malkin-Recchi
Roberts-Christensen-Hall
Ruutu-Talbot-Laraque

Gonchar-Eaton
Scuderi-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

I think we're a bit better. Any talk of Hossa should be saved for at the deadline to see how we are doing then and if Shero can grab a similar player.

Thole lines are ridiculous.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:29 pm

we have to maintain here~ just 3 weeks ago after losing to the new york rangers, the season was downhill quickly. Being consistent all through the season is what I"m after. Penguins learned a lot from the senators, they need to avoid whatever sickness that came over them last year.

But, to be giddy :) , goalies, scoring, and the penguin defense all in sync~ lovely.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:34 pm

wondermoose wrote:I, for one, miss Hossa and Malone.

Yeah, Malone's 3 points would just do wonders for this team.

The Pens really seemed to need Hossa so badly on Tuesday, too.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I, for one, miss Hossa and Malone.

Yeah, Malone's 3 points would just do wonders for this team.

The Pens really seemed to need Hossa so badly on Tuesday, too.

I said I miss them, not that the team needed them. Simple, literal, grammatical difference. Miss... Need... Yes, I can understand how you drew that conclusion. :roll:
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm

DelPen wrote:Comparing the Pens this time last year we had these lines:

Malone-Crosby-Sykora
Staal-Malkin-Recchi
Roberts-Christensen-Hall
Ruutu-Talbot-Laraque

Gonchar-Eaton
Scuderi-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

Essentially, we're getting one of the league's top defensemen at the deadline and we don't have to give anyone away! At this point, having watched this team play live last night, I'd say yes -- we;re better than last year. Even simply that Geno and Sid are a year better should make us a better team.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:44 pm

I think it's better than at the beginning of last season, but not at the end, at least not yet.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

whats gonna happen when Whitney gets back, and then Sarge?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:05 pm

viva la ben wrote:whats gonna happen when Whitney gets back, and then Sarge?

They're gonna trade Staal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:42 pm

I felt pretty confident going into the season that this year's team would end up being better and I feel even better about that now. I thought Satan and Fedotenko would make up most of the production we aren't getting from Hossa and Malone. I think they're doing that. I thought Staal would pick up the rest of the slack to bridge the gap between the two teams and then some. He's definitely looking like he's going to do that, and I'd add contributions from guys like Kennedy and Talbot to that picture too. Letang's and Goligoski's development paths are in hyperspeed with Gonchar and Whitney are back. Just wait until the blue line is healthy and figured out.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Free Candy on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Right now the argument is definitely there. But don't forget we are doing this w/o Whitney or Gonchar. IMagine the team with those two back.
Free Candy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 pm

I know it's no use comparing to the past, but one could make the argument that the '92/'93 team was better than the 91/92 team except for... well, you know. It's all about how the season ends, when it comes down to it. I guess we'll see whether this team is better than last years in June!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:31 pm

wondermoose wrote:I know it's no use comparing to the past, but one could make the argument that the '92/'93 team was better than the 91/92 team except for... well, you know. It's all about how the season ends, when it comes down to it. I guess we'll see whether this team is better than last years in June!

Yeah, most people would agree that that was the best Pens team ever. But no one, other than the diehard Pens fans and probably some Islander fans, will ever remember that team.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins