Cleveland Pens Fans

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cleveland Pens Fans

Postby Batman15 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:47 am

Alright - I am moving to Cleveland. Can you tell how excited I am? A few questions for my soon to be fellow Ohio pens fans....

1. Any places that have Center Ice and accomadate requests?
2. How far is it really from the burgh, should I get on the STH waiting list?
3. Do they care about hockey as a whole? (I am used to wearing pens gear and getting New Yorkers all fired up)
4. Are there Men's leagues for us to play in? I am looking near Avon Lake or West Lake and havent found a league yet.

I really appreciate your help and support! Feel free to reply or PM. Thanks again and LETS GO PENS!
Batman15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Cleveland Pens Fans

Postby maudineormsby on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:56 am

I am so terribly sorry.

The cleve. Shudder.

I can only answer #3: They don't care much.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 am

Winking Lizard in Coventry is kinda Pens friendly.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Yaldain on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am

I live in cleveland and acutally work for the Lake erie monsters(AHL team) . I will answer your questions in order .

1. Quite a few bars have Center ice .I think the best place is a bar Called Harpo's

2 . It is about 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive to the burgh so not to bad of a drive but that could be tough if you are doing it all the time

3. do they care about hockey I tell you what Cleveladn has a HUGE high school hockey following but as for the pros they really do not care all that much. They do have an ahl team www.lakeeriemonsters.com . They draw a decent amount of peole but most do not know a thing about the sport. All though the one radio show Maxewell talks about the pens a bunch as he is a huge fan.

4. There is adult leagues all over. The rinks I would look into are winterhurst , Iceland , Barons arena and a few others are scattered about. Winterhurst would be the closest to avon/westlake area(I use to live in avon)

I think that is all for now. Oh if you are looking for Steelers bars Blue moose is one of the best they get about 100 + people there a game ! If you want any more info just send me a message.
Yaldain

Postby PghSkins on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Batman15 wrote:Alright - I am moving to Cleveland. Can you tell how excited I am? A few questions for my soon to be fellow Ohio pens fans....

3. Do they care about hockey as a whole? (I am used to wearing pens gear and getting New Yorkers all fired up)
4. Are there Men's leagues for us to play in? I am looking near Avon Lake or West Lake and havent found a league yet.

I really appreciate your help and support! Feel free to reply or PM. Thanks again and LETS GO PENS!

I used to work a lot at the Avon Lake power plant. Dave and Buster's in Westlake should serve all your hockey watching needs. Plus you can boo the Top Dawg and the WKNR staff if they still do live Browns-oriented shows from there. I didn't care since I'm not a Steeler fan, but might be fun.

I would say 2:45 from Avon Lake to the Igloo. I could get there in 2 hours from my house off the Chippewa exit, and the Igloo is 45 min.

Most NHL fans I know there are longtime Pens fans from when the Lumberjacks were in town. Not a big BJs following. Have never been to a Monsters game but basically the entire crowd at Barons games could sit comfortably in the first two rows.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ryan21081 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:12 pm

maudineormsby wrote:I am so terribly sorry.

The cleve. Shudder.

It really annoys me how when someone says anything about Cleveland, Pittsburghers (Especially yinzers) make rediculous comments about a city that most of them have never been to. They hate the Browns and therefore the hole town is a **** hole. The fact is there is alot more to do in Cleveland than there is in Pittsburgh, especially at nite.

My company has an office there and I have spent a good bit of time in Cleveland. I have never had any trouble getting them to put the Pens game on if it is available and people are usually friendly.
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby maudineormsby on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:28 pm

ryan21081 wrote:

The cleve. Shudder.

It really annoys me how when someone says anything about Cleveland, Pittsburghers (Especially yinzers) make rediculous comments about a city that most of them have never been to. They hate the Browns and therefore the hole town is a **** hole. The fact is there is alot more to do in Cleveland than there is in Pittsburgh, especially at nite.

My company has an office there and I have spent a good bit of time in Cleveland. I have never had any trouble getting them to put the Pens game on if it is available and people are usually friendly.

Just for the record:

I'm not from Pittsburgh. I'm from Columbus. And I still hate Cleveland.

That is all.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ryan21081 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Lol thats not the point. A cities worth has nothing to do with one or any of its sports teams... just look at the Pirates. :)
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dean Wormer on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 pm

People need to realize that Pittsburgh and Cleveland are the exact same city. One has a lake the other has rivers. That is the only difference.

The Winking Lizard in Macedonia gets big time Steeler turnouts every week. I don't know if the Penguins are the same way or not.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:48 pm

ryan21081 wrote:

The cleve. Shudder.

Just not true. I was born in California, grew up in Pittsburgh, and have lived and worked just outside of Cleveland for about 15 years. I can't stand Cleveland, nor any of their sports teams despite all the time I've spent here. My wife was born and has spent her whole life in Ohio, most of it in the Cleveland area, and it took a relationship with me to even get her to the city of Pittsburgh. Despite the fact that she still likes the Browns, she openly admits that Pittsburgh is a much nicer city to spend time in, and has become an unabashed Pens fan.

If nothing else, most of my hate comes from the local media, which are almost universally revolting in their 'reporting' on a bunch of teams that have never won much of anything, yet week to week are sure to destroy the 'pathetic' teams that will face them next. :roll: It's really hard to describe, but I have lived a bunch of cities with major sports teams, and never seen anything like the media here. They really make you want to hate a team you may not otherwise care about one way or another.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:50 pm

entropyfitch wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:People need to realize that Pittsburgh and Cleveland are the exact same city. One has a lake the other has rivers. That is the only difference.

The Winking Lizard in Macedonia gets big time Steeler turnouts every week. I don't know if the Penguins are the same way or not.

I completely disagree.

as someone who was born and raised in cleveland and spent a few years in pittsburgh, i can tell you that is not the case. I was also someone who thought the two cities wouldnt be that different, but they are two different worlds. Its hard to explain, but the only people who i have ever met who have ever understood this, were people who lived in both cities.

You couldn't be more correct...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Batman15 wrote:Alright - I am moving to Cleveland. Can you tell how excited I am? A few questions for my soon to be fellow Ohio pens fans....

1. Someone else pointed out Dave & Busters, which is good, but ridiculously expensive if you like to drink. Harpo's is also good, not far for the airport. In the area you mentioned, you can't beat BW's in Avon Lake on Walker. The owner is a big hockey fan, and several of the bartenders are Pens fans. I've watched a bunch of games at the Winking Lizard in Avon, as well. I also have Center Ice in Avon, but I am not so good with requests... :P

2. Others have covered this, no more than 2-3 hours. ST were never an option for me, since I work many evenings with a constantly rotating schedule.

3. Not a whole lot of hockey passion, and if you see hockey gear, it will likely be Pens gear as anything else. You definitely won't be getting anyone fired up, as there is no competing team. Even having Pittburgh on the clothing evokes no reaction, as my wife regularly wears Pens clothing out and gets no negative reaction.

4. Winterhurst rink in Lakewood is your best bet for a men's league from Avon Lake or Westlake. It's right of I-90 which runs right through both areas. There is also a rink in North Olmsted, but I don't know the league status there. When my workplace had a league team, most of their games were at Winterhurst.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 pm

If you drink tap water in Cleveland, do you spontaneously combust?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby maudineormsby on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 pm

ryan21081 wrote:Lol thats not the point. A cities worth has nothing to do with one or any of its sports teams... just look at the Pirates. :)

Nothing to do with sports teams. I hate the city, the people, the smell, everything; but I ESPECIALLY hate the weather. Ick. Lake effect + weird temperature shifts.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm

ryan21081 wrote:Lol thats not the point. A cities worth has nothing to do with one or any of its sports teams... just look at the Pirates. :)

Or the Phillies!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:06 am

Dean Wormer wrote:People need to realize that Pittsburgh and Cleveland are the exact same city. One has a lake the other has rivers. That is the only difference.

May your hot-tub be filled with a truckload of fizzies.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby patrick8766 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:29 pm

If you don't need to see games other than the Penguins then get DirectTV and the Fox Sports package. $12/month and they don't black out the Pens
patrick8766

Postby Dean Wormer on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:02 pm

entropyfitch wrote:

I completely disagree.

as someone who was born and raised in cleveland and spent a few years in pittsburgh, i can tell you that is not the case. I was also someone who thought the two cities wouldnt be that different, but they are two different worlds. Its hard to explain, but the only people who i have ever met who have ever understood this, were people who lived in both cities.

I was born in Pittsburgh and my entire immediate family has basically lived their entire lives there. I also moved to Cleveland at a fairly young age and spent the rest of my life up till college there. I have honestly noticed the two cities have far more in common than they are different. Sure, the downtown area in Pittsburgh is far nicer than Cleveland but that mainly has to do with everyone in Cleveland living in suburbs 20 minutes away and it has killed the city. But that's another story altogether. Anyways, the culture of the two cities are almost identical (old steel towns, both in that weird Midwest/East Coast buffer zone, etc...) and the people that live in them are very similar. I know many people are going to disagree with me due to the Cleveland vs Pittsburgh rivalry thing, which is fine, but I think a lot of that hatred between the two cities has to do with how similar they really are. Granted, Pittsburgh has an NHL team and Cleveland only has a NBA team, which is a huge plus for Pittsburgh in my book.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins