Good News on Staal's Contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Good News on Staal's Contract

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 am

Do you think Staal got a call from Malone telling him to take a little less money and stay on that team because the grass is not greener?

In all seriousness though, if this is true and Staal did tell his agent to start working on a long term deal, thats great. Everyone keeps sayign we need a scoring winger, we need a scoringwinger. I am sorry, we don't need a scoring winger, would rather have Staal then a scoring winger. He is going to be one of the most well rounder players in the NHL and right now he is not so bad either. He is great defensivly, He is strong on the PK, he is getting better at his faceoffs (thanks to the mantis), his offensive game is coming around and he is 20 years old. He gets more minutes then most third line centers, he is one of the guys out on the ice in the final minutes when we are trying to close out the game. When we put Malkin and Crosby on the top line togther to get something going, staal slips into the 2nd line center and we don't lose much.

Shero is building this team so we are deep down the middle and i like that, i don't see him over spending for a free agent scoring winger. If he does anythign he will do a rental like he did with Hossa last year, bring a guy in, let him build chemistry with Malkin/Crosby during the end of the regular season then let him tear it up in the playoffs. Everyone keeps saying that crosby needs a scoring winger, to be honest i think crosby wants the guy who gives them the best shoot at winning and thats staal
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 am

5 years $15MM ??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby czwalga on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:55 am

Henry Hank wrote:Point taken on the ice time. I still stand by my general statement that they can't pay him that much to be a third liner. If they have all that money invested in three centers, plus the defensemen they have, plus Fleury, they're going to have nothing left for wingers. For the investment locking up Staal will require, he's going to have to play a top six role. Of course, things will be fluid. Sometimes he'll be third line center. Sometimes he'll be a top two wing. Sometimes Malkin and Crosby will be paired and Staal will center the second line. I think he's going to have to be a wing the majority of the time, which isn't a problem. He's done well as a wing before.

But I guess we should see what his price tag ends up being. I'm expecting $4.5-$5 million per year...

If he gets 4.5 million a year.... umm wow. I was thinking 3 mill would be too much at this point. What has he proven? He should sign a 2.5 mill a year contract for 3 years then he'll get his money if he turns out.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Shero met with Staal's agent today:

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/

Penguins GM Ray Shero was sitting in the stands with agent Paul Krepelka, Jordan Staal’s agent.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:29 pm

czwalga wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Point taken on the ice time. I still stand by my general statement that they can't pay him that much to be a third liner. If they have all that money invested in three centers, plus the defensemen they have, plus Fleury, they're going to have nothing left for wingers. For the investment locking up Staal will require, he's going to have to play a top six role. Of course, things will be fluid. Sometimes he'll be third line center. Sometimes he'll be a top two wing. Sometimes Malkin and Crosby will be paired and Staal will center the second line. I think he's going to have to be a wing the majority of the time, which isn't a problem. He's done well as a wing before.

But I guess we should see what his price tag ends up being. I'm expecting $4.5-$5 million per year...

If he gets 4.5 million a year.... umm wow. I was thinking 3 mill would be too much at this point. What has he proven? He should sign a 2.5 mill a year contract for 3 years then he'll get his money if he turns out.

Precedent has been set. Corey Perry has had point totals of 25 (in 56 games), 44, and 54. He signed a five year deal at a $5.325 cap hit. He's got 20 points in 19 games this season so he's living up to it. Staal is on pace for a 53 point season if you're into those sorts of projections. If he has that type of season, it seems that he'd be right in line with where Perry was prior to signing his deal. Staal is several years younger so if anything that probably drives his price up more. That's why they'd be smart to get it done now. If they wait until the summer, Staal's a $5 million guy. Maybe they can do $4 million per if they sign sometime soon. It's not about what he's proven. Young players get paid for potential in their RFA years now.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:42 pm

If the Pens can lock up Staal on a 5 year deal for $4M or less per season it would be a big win for the Pens IMO. The way Gogo (and Letang last season) has emerged I expect one of Gonch or Whit will be dealt before next season to alleviate some of the Cap crunch.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Draftnik wrote:If the Pens can lock up Staal on a 5 year deal for $4M or less per season it would be a big win for the Pens IMO. The way Gogo (and Letang last season) has emerged I expect one of Gonch or Whit will be dealt before next season to alleviate some of the Cap crunch.

I kind of think the same, though I wonder who is the better choice to keep.

Whitney is younger, cheaper and locked in for quite some time, yet isn't the well-rounded defender Gonchar has become. Then again, Gonchar really wasn't the well-rounded defender he became until, well, he became that type of player late last season.

Gonchar, is more experienced and better all around, but he makes more money and is set to become a free agent after next season.

I really think Shero has to play his cards right with this one. If he truly feels Gonchar would be willing to re-sign at Whitney's current salary or less after his contract is up -- which I think is reasonable for a defender of his age -- I think Whitney should be dealt.

I just think Gonchar brings more to the table and he genuinely seems to love Pittsburgh. Plus, I have the weird feeling that Whitney might bring more in a trade because of his age and what he has accomplished in his short career. We may see him as a liability, but my gut feeling is that most GM's would drool to have him.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 pm

I'd say in the ideal situation, they'd move Gonchar this summer because he's likely gone after next season anyway. Whitney's deal is going to be a bargain more each year as he improves. Gonchar's NTC throws a wrench into that, of course. Maybe he'd be more willing to oblige if the Pens can win the Cup this year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'd say in the ideal situation, they'd move Gonchar this summer because he's likely gone after next season anyway. Whitney's deal is going to be a bargain more each year as he improves. Gonchar's NTC throws a wrench into that, of course. Maybe he'd be more willing to oblige if the Pens can win the Cup this year.

I really can't wait to see Whitney play when healthy. If he doesn't play well this season i'll be fine with it, but I really can't wait to see what he does next year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'd say in the ideal situation, they'd move Gonchar this summer because he's likely gone after next season anyway. Whitney's deal is going to be a bargain more each year as he improves. Gonchar's NTC throws a wrench into that, of course Maybe he'd be more willing to oblige if the Pens can win the Cup this year..

:idea: :D
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:35 pm

KG wrote:5 years $15MM ??

I could maybe live with that.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm

3 million a year for Staal is not happening.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Your crazy if you think Staal isn't getting at least 3. If he made it to RFA I would expect he'd get an offer from someone for 5.

If Shero can lock him up for 5 years in the 3.5 - 3.75 range its a steal.

If only Shero could find a way to lock up Gogo and Letang to five year deals.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:22 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I'll take Lemieux - Francis -whatever as the best group of centers.

Lemieux-Francis-Trottier-Hrdina
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:25 am

cojac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'll take Lemieux - Francis -whatever as the best group of centers.

Lemieux - Francis - Fata - Ihnacak is fine with me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
cojac wrote:

Lemieux - Francis - Fata - Ihnacak is fine with me.

You hardly have to let Fata and whoever that is see the ice.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 am

Mongoose87 wrote:

Malkin = Lemieux Jr.

I thought Jaromir Jagr was Mario jr.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guido on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 am

DelPen wrote:Image

Do it Shero

I like it. I like it a lot.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:08 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Lemieux - Francis - Fata - Ihnacak is fine with me.

You hardly have to let Fata and whoever that is see the ice.

Exactly.

Ihnacak is my favorite obscure penguins draft pick from the last couple years. I use him when I want to throw a name out that no one in the room will know.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins