Who knows about the new guy, Boucher

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who knows about the new guy, Boucher

Postby Rohit on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 pm

I pretty much dont follow any other teams besides the penguins so I know nothing about a lot of the other players out there.

from what I have read it seems that worst case scenario Boucher is no better than Sydor, but no one seems to think he is going to be any worse

my question is, what is the best case scenario? how good can this guy really be and what is stopping him from being that?

ps. if the mods feels this should be in the other thread, feel free to merge it there, i just wanted to break out of it so i wouldnt have to search through 8 pages of posts
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Who knows about the new guy, Boucher

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Best Case scenario, he takes a huge portion of the pp workload while playing 2nd/3rd pairing even strength minutes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Worst case scenario, he eats nacho's and finishes his contract.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rohit on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 pm

nice :)
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 pm

How dare he do that to the Finish Flash! :evil:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 pm

You can't get much worse than a healthy scratch. According to some people, he rocks the ice for 21+ minutes/game. If he can log 10-12 minutes here and lay out a good outlet pass here and there, I like it. Anything to help the transition game pleases me. Syd did not want to be here, he'd rather play a lot of minutes than win. I have no problem with him, he kept everything behind the scenes... maybe I'm lazy but I'd rather drink champagne with Mario and win than play and lose. $2,500,000.00/82=over $30,000 to get tanked with Mario. Dallas fans seem mad by the move so, Great job as usual Mr. Shero.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:07 am

He won't be worse than Sydor, and if he for some reason doesn't fit in, the Pens are in the same spot they were in with Sydor, EXCEPT Boucher does not have a NTC.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:18 am

My scouting report on Boucher is...

He's a solid two-way defenseman that, over time, has had trouble assuming the role of both a power play trigger man and shutdown physical defenseman at the same time...one assignment at a time, and he's normally good...both, well, that's just not in the cards right now...has an absolute cannon, but is running out of ammunition due to continual shoulder problems...can cause a trainwreck for an opposing forward with a heavy hit, but is running out of steam due to continual shoulder problems...has been plagued by injuries since as far as anyone can remember...

Isn't shy about hitting or blocking shots...is starting to become shy about firing the biscuit...in his prime, it wouldn't be uncommon for him to unleash one a couple times a period...but there will be some games now where he'll wrist a shot from the half wall and that will be is only shot of the game...on the plus side, he creates fewer odd man rushes because his shots would often go awry...

Can skate well for a man his size and age...once he gets his feet moving, he can get going at a pretty good clip...can't really do anything fancy with the puck, especially with his feet moving...could probably stand to benefit from not logging huge minutes, especially those that require to play physical and block shots...

Career role: 2nd pairing two-way defenseman that might move on to specialize as power play triggerman (injuries allowing), like a more naturally talented Francois Beauchemin with better hockey sense...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 am

iEUX wrote:
mikey287 wrote: that's just not in the cards right now...has an absolute cannon, but is running out of ammunition due to continual shoulder problems...can cause a trainwreck for an opposing forward with a heavy hit, but is running out of steam due to continual shoulder problems..

too many metaphors. cannot compute.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives!"

I can't quote the response, given that this is a family board n'at.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 am

I do not think that the idea was to get Boucher. Shero was doing Sydor a solid by moving him off the team. In order for Dallas to absorb Sydor's $2.5M they needed to move at least $2M out. Apparently Boucher wasn't in Dallas' plans much like Sydor was not in the Penguin's plans.

I do not see this trade as an attempt to improve the Penguins. I see it as the team making a statement that they are willing to help their players (Sydor) when said player is genuinly in a bad spot. This trade in NO WAY hurts the Penguins, but I do not feel that improving the team played any real part in the deal.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:10 am

Jim wrote:I do not think that the idea was to get Boucher. Shero was doing Sydor a solid by moving him off the team. In order for Dallas to absorb Sydor's $2.5M they needed to move at least $2M out. Apparently Boucher wasn't in Dallas' plans much like Sydor was not in the Penguin's plans.

I do not see this trade as an attempt to improve the Penguins. I see it as the team making a statement that they are willing to help their players (Sydor) when said player is genuinly in a bad spot. This trade in NO WAY hurts the Penguins, but I do not feel that improving the team played any real part in the deal.

Dude, give me my brain back! You stole that sucka! Thought robbery is illegal on the InterWEbZ
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:
Jim wrote:I do not think that the idea was to get Boucher. Shero was doing Sydor a solid by moving him off the team. In order for Dallas to absorb Sydor's $2.5M they needed to move at least $2M out. Apparently Boucher wasn't in Dallas' plans much like Sydor was not in the Penguin's plans.

Dude, give me my brain back! You stole that sucka! Thought robbery is illegal on the InterWEbZ

I didn't know someone had posted something like that. Was it in the other thread? I posted in this one before I saw the bigger one.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Eeek, I can't tell if you're serious or joking.... I'l just say my previous post was a joke and that I fully agree with everything you said.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby eastonpensfan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Bobby Boucher? He can hit really hard...

eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:37 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:Eeek, I can't tell if you're serious or joking.... I'l just say my previous post was a joke and that I fully agree with everything you said.

I was just going to follow up with "Great minds think alike..."
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:44 pm

I think Boucher adds another dimension to the team. He's pretty much an older version of Letang. I think this will make it easier to hold Letang accountable because no one on the team really plays like him as far as making hits and shotting the puck. Unfortunately Letang has not been doing much of either so having a guy like boucher can push letang to play better or he could lose his spot for a game or two.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 pm

DelPen wrote:I think Boucher adds another dimension to the team. He's pretty much an older version of Letang. I think this will make it easier to hold Letang accountable because no one on the team really plays like him as far as making hits and shotting the puck. Unfortunately Letang has not been doing much of either so having a guy like boucher can push letang to play better or he could lose his spot for a game or two.

I think Eaton should be more concerned with losing his spot than Letang. I have not seen anything that makes me think Letang might be scratched for a game or two.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SaijinSatch on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:50 pm

the reason i see this as happening is that boucher fills an identity on the ice, sydor seemed to be a slightly more off. def. trying to play a more d. def. role. boucher will be the third puck moving d man in the back, eaton will be depth, the lioness' cubs shall return and all is once again right in the jungle

..or what the two people before me said
SaijinSatch
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby spi on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I just think about when we got the Long Arm of the Law, The USS Hal Gill. Many cringed because he was on an awful Leaf squad. When he first got here he stumbled but once he got the system he flourished and was so solid in the playoff run.
I think a change of scenery will serve Boucher well and we can get Orpik off the second PP unit. The funny part of that will be that we will have 2 righties on the second PP.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins