Pesonen done as a Pen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby mac5155 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 pm

i think the big club's idea was to bring him over here on basically a "tryout". see how he adapts to NA hockey, and then make a long-term decision
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,660
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 pm

He's not exactly tearing up the AHL right now. Let him get acclimated to the game over here and see what happens. He could be good depth incase of an injury down the road as well.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby NeddieVedder on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:32 pm

So what? Dupuis is better than Pesonen.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I wouldn't say he's doing great. He's playing well down there, it seems, but he's far from dominating the league which really is what it would take to get him noticed, and maybe what should be expected if he's such a big deal. I don't think it's set in stone that he'd want out. He was 26 and still hadn't played in the NHL. The Pens took a chance on him. He's already made his NHL debut and surely will get another call-up at some point. If he chooses to stick it out for another year, you could just as easily argue that he'd want to stay with the team that actually gave him a chance.

I don't see what Dupuis has to do with anything. Who's to say Pesonen would even be as good as Dupuis? I don't think anyone is expecting Pesonen to play Dupuis' role as a checker/penalty killer. If Pesonen was a guy that's going to get whisked away by another team next summer and given an NHL spot, I doubt it would have taken him this long to get a chance in North America.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 pm

So we had injuries to Gonchar and Whitney which allowed a player like Goligoski to step in...

God forbid, Satan and Tank go down...guess who comes in? Na na na na na...

The fact that he's willing to go to the AHL tells me that he understands what's going on around him...

Furthermore, if he wants to sign elsewhere...then that's fine...we didn't exactly give up an asset for him...

And in terms of pure offensive talent, Pesonen has Dupuis beat...at least until Dupuis can accept a pass...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,453
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Draftnik on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:49 pm

There isn't much written in stone about the Pens wingers on their top 2 lines. Sykora, Satan, and Fedotenko can/will be UFAs after the season and Talbot is a C that has played W for a few weeks. I don't doubt Peso is disappointed to be in the AHL right now, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. If Peso plays well he will get a chance. If he doesn't, the Pens haven't lost anything. If other NHL teams think Peso is playing well (as you claim), the Pens could trade him for a pick/prospect before the deadline and get something for nothing. The Pens don't owe Peso anything. Ws will want to come here and play with 87 and 71 as their C.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:53 pm

ZenPenguin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I wouldn't say he's doing great. He's playing well down there, it seems, but he's far from dominating the league which really is what it would take to get him noticed, and maybe what should be expected if he's such a big deal. I don't think it's set in stone that he'd want out. He was 26 and still hadn't played in the NHL. The Pens took a chance on him. He's already made his NHL debut and surely will get another call-up at some point. If he chooses to stick it out for another year, you could just as easily argue that he'd want to stay with the team that actually gave him a chance.

I don't see what Dupuis has to do with anything. Who's to say Pesonen would even be as good as Dupuis? I don't think anyone is expecting Pesonen to play Dupuis' role as a checker/penalty killer. If Pesonen was a guy that's going to get whisked away by another team next summer and given an NHL spot, I doubt it would have taken him this long to get a chance in North America.


I don't understand why people think Dupuis is good in any way. He's on OK penalty killer, other than that, he's horrible.


As a 3rd or 4th liner, Dupuis is great. As a first or second liner, Pesonen is an unknown and as a 3rd or 4th liner, he sucks. Therefore, Dupuis > Pesonen, until otherwise proven.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:55 pm

ZenPenguin wrote:You do great in the AHL but aren't going to be called up.


But he hasn't played great in the AHL so this question is not warranted.

Dupuis hasn't been bad. Not sure what the issue with him is. He plays good positionally, good defense, good on the PK, and can play on any line. He fits the team well and knows his role.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby jaysmiter on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 am

Chris Minard is playing better in the AHL than Pesonen.

Fact.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Draftnik on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 am

Mongoose87 wrote:As a 3rd or 4th liner, Dupuis is great. As a first or second liner, Pesonen is an unknown and as a 3rd or 4th liner, he sucks. Therefore, Dupuis > Pesonen, until otherwise proven.


Exactly. DuPuis has proven he can fill roles (PK, 3rd/4th line energy player) at the NHL level. Peso didn't convince the Pens brass that he had the goods during training camp and apparently hasn't overwhelmed them at the AHL level either.

Peso and DuPuis aren't mutually exclusive entities at the NHL level so I doubt Peso considers DuPuis an impediment to a potential NHL paycheck.

The fact DuPuis spent time on the 1st line the past few seasons proves the Pens are looking for guys that can fill that role and are open to giving guys a chance. There is no reason to think they would not give Peso a chance if he showed the necessary ability in camp.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 am

Pesonen Stats in the AHL:

GP: 14
G: 5
A: 12
P: 17
+-: +10
PPG: 2
SHG: 0
S: 41
S%: 12.2%

He's 3rd on WBS in scoring for the team behind Minard (-7) and Taffe (-2).

I really don't see all of the commotion about calling him up right now. Maybe if he had 15 goals or something right now and was really tearing up the league but he doesn't and he really doesn't make the Pens any better by calling him up now unless someone gets hurt.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:04 am

ZenPenguin wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
ZenPenguin wrote:You do great in the AHL but aren't going to be called up.


But he hasn't played great in the AHL so this question is not warranted.

Dupuis hasn't been bad. Not sure what the issue with him is. He plays good positionally, good defense, good on the PK, and can play on any line. He fits the team well and knows his role.


Other than the fact that he can't make a pass, receive a pass, or do anything else, he's been playing well.


I guess your hockey prowess/scouting is better than Ray Shero and MT then.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:10 am

ZenPenguin wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:As a 3rd or 4th liner, Dupuis is great. As a first or second liner, Pesonen is an unknown and as a 3rd or 4th liner, he sucks. Therefore, Dupuis > Pesonen, until otherwise proven.


Exactly. DuPuis has proven he can fill roles (PK, 3rd/4th line energy player) at the NHL level. Peso didn't convince the Pens brass that he had the goods during training camp and apparently hasn't overwhelmed them at the AHL level either.

Peso and DuPuis aren't mutually exclusive entities at the NHL level so I doubt Peso considers DuPuis an impediment to a potential NHL paycheck.

The fact DuPuis spent time on the 1st line the past few seasons proves the Pens are looking for guys that can fill that role and are open to giving guys a chance. There is no reason to think they would not give Peso a chance if he showed the necessary ability in camp.


OMG... I must remain calm... have you seen what Dupuis has done on the 1st line? NOTHING. If I could make NOTHING a 72 point font I would. HE HAS DONE NOTHING except make Sid frustrated. Of the top of your head, how many goals do you think he has a Penguin? 10? 20? 15? ... no.... 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure why you are all so in love with him. He's not good. You think having him next year vs. Pesonen is smart from a long-term standpoint?

Man, years ago, I spent a year trying to convince the ESPN message board that Aubin was a horrible goalie. I guess I'll just you guys figure Dupuis out for yourselves.


Ughhh..Du-Pweeeeee hasn't played on the first line in 5 games. He's been on the 4th.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 am

Also, goals aren't everything either. You need your grinders/positional players/defensive specialists.

So, Max Talbot isn't exactly tearing it up on the scoresheet but is Pesonen better than him too? Is he better than TK? Is he better than Matt Cooke? Is he better than Zigomanis?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 am

ZenPenguin wrote:
Well, no one is proven until they play. Maybe they should have stuck Malkin and Crosby in the AHL, they weren't proven. Dupuis is terrible. How can you say he's better than Pesonen when Pesonen hasn't been given a chance? If it's even possible to be worse than Dupuis I'll be surprised.

Eveyone called Crosby and Malkin elite talent. Peso didn't make it his first time in the NHL. It doesn't compare. Additionally, Dupuis has played for years in the NHL. He's proven to be deserving of a spot on a team, albeit not a top line spot.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 am

No way he's done as a Pen. There aren't any injuries right now to our forwards. He'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd called up at this point. Minard has been tearing it up in Wilks-Barre. Pesonen has had goals in 3 straight and has 17 points. Maybe not jaw-dropping but he's doing fine.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby emptyfriend on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:37 am

Pesonen = Jiri Dopita.
WRITE IT DOWN.
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,123
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:38 am

People are saying Dupuis is a good third/fourth liner and the response is that he's terrible because he wasn't good on the first line. Hmm....
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:39 am

Henry Hank wrote:People are saying Dupuis is a good third/fourth liner and the response is that he's terrible because he wasn't good on the first line. Hmm....


I don't see anything wrong with that. Its flawless logic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,646
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:11 am

emptyfriend wrote:Pesonen = Jiri Dopita.
WRITE IT DOWN.


I fail to see any similarity.........Dopita was center, Janne is winger.............Dopita went straight to NHL team (Flyers), Janne is currently in AHL....................Dopita scored 27 points in 52 games, Janne already has 17 in 14...............Dopita had he's first stint with NA hockey at age of 32, Janne is 26.............
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Малкин лучший ХОККЕИСТ! :)

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:35 am

you are definitely leading the league in anti-dupuis threads. get over it. the dude plays 8 minutes a game
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,630
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:00 am

Misleading thread title for the fail.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:26 am

Right now, Pez doesn't have a spot on the team. His potential is a top six forward, but he isn't there yet. He's not a third/ fourth liner while dupuis has that capability.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:14 am

Guys played in 1 NHL game and a handful of AHL games and he's done as a Pen/NHLer?

As someone said, Satan or Fedex or Sykora get injured for an extended period of time, and he gets called up. Also if he's a smart guy he's got to realize that he's got to stick it out and work hard. If he stays with the organization, he could have a legit shot next year.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,439
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 am

IF Pesonen is smart he will see they only forwards signed so far are Malkin, Crosby, Kennedy, Cooke, Godarad and Dupuis.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,658
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OutofFoil, Pruezy11881, Scate and 18 guests


e-mail