Pesonen done as a Pen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Pens15 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

bhaw wrote:you still want to set him up for the best chance for success. that is after he has spent more time in WBS. It's much smarter to get him as ready as possible for his shot than to just throw him in there and hope he works.

Yeah I absolutely agree, I'm not saying bring him up now. I wouldn't be opposed to it but there's no rush. I do want to see him at some point for sure though.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm

Pens15 wrote:
bhaw wrote:you still want to set him up for the best chance for success. that is after he has spent more time in WBS. It's much smarter to get him as ready as possible for his shot than to just throw him in there and hope he works.

Yeah I absolutely agree, I'm not saying bring him up now. I wouldn't be opposed to it but there's no rush. I do want to see him at some point for sure though.

If they plan on retaining him, it will be necessary to see what void he can fill next year.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 pm

ZenPenguin wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
Exactly. DuPuis has proven he can fill roles (PK, 3rd/4th line energy player) at the NHL level. Peso didn't convince the Pens brass that he had the goods during training camp and apparently hasn't overwhelmed them at the AHL level either.

Peso and DuPuis aren't mutually exclusive entities at the NHL level so I doubt Peso considers DuPuis an impediment to a potential NHL paycheck.

The fact DuPuis spent time on the 1st line the past few seasons proves the Pens are looking for guys that can fill that role and are open to giving guys a chance. There is no reason to think they would not give Peso a chance if he showed the necessary ability in camp.

OMG... I must remain calm... have you seen what Dupuis has done on the 1st line? NOTHING. If I could make NOTHING a 72 point font I would. HE HAS DONE NOTHING except make Sid frustrated. Of the top of your head, how many goals do you think he has a Penguin? 10? 20? 15? ... no.... 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure why you are all so in love with him. He's not good. You think having him next year vs. Pesonen is smart from a long-term standpoint?

Man, years ago, I spent a year trying to convince the ESPN message board that Aubin was a horrible goalie. I guess I'll just you guys figure Dupuis out for yourselves.

Are you 12 or 13 years old? Judging by the comments subsequent to my last post in this thread, you are some kind of board idiot so I shouldn't have responded. DuPuis is an established NHL player. He has proven he can fill 3rd/4th line and PK roles on multiple NHL teams. The fact MT tried him on the 1st line is an indication the Pens lack top 2 line talent on the Wings. That is opportunity for skilled players like Peso. The fact DuPuis was tried there earlier this season while Peso toiled in WBS is an indictment of Peso and his failure to claim a top 2 line role on the Pens. Peso may be able to fill an NHL role some day, but he didn't demonstrate that ability to the Pens staff during camp. It is too early to write Peso off, but clearly whatever mojo he had in Finland will take some time to adapt/translate to the North American game. He isn't some uber Euro star like Malkin, Ovechkin, etc that can walk into the NHL straight from Europe and dominate.

DuPuis and Peso fill different roles so one has almost nothing to do with the NHL fortunes of the other. Since DuPuis plays on one of the top 2 PK units, he is a decent bargain for $1.2M per year. He is capably filling a valuable role for the Pens. A successful NHL team is never made up of 12 forwards with strictly offensive skills. There has to be a blend of various skills so guys with the right skills play in the right situations. Do you know who Ville Leino is? He was the MVP in Finland (same league as Peso) last season. Did he hang himself yet because he is riding a bus with Grand Rapids while Maltby, Draper, Kopecky, McCarty, and Helm have dressed for the Red Wings? I suspect Leino and Peso understand the different roles forwards play on hockey teams and the transition they need to make to the NHL game so they are not sticking pins in voodoo dolls representing DuPuis, Maltby, Draper, etc.

Even if I claimed DuPuis was a good 1st line player (I didn't), why would the opinion of a random stranger on the Internet upset you?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11 am

Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:20 am

Kicksave wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Kicksave wrote:What was my location?

Were you the one that had "Maagwa makes stupid posts?" Or was that Kovy? (or canaan? or someone else?)

Ha-ha. No, that was his own location. I just took the screen shot of it and reminded him of it. He then went on to call me, canaan and Kovy like the top-3 negative posters or something like that.

I can't figure out how to get screenshots on a Mac laptop. Who knows how?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:32 am

purelebo84 wrote:I can't figure out how to get screenshots on a Mac laptop. Who knows how?

I assume its the same as on my imac. apple + shift + 4, you should be able to just drag the lasso around it
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Maagwa wrote:Pesonen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dup.

He sucks. 82 games. Less than 10 goals on Crosby's wing. I could pick someone off the street that could score more than that. "Oooooo Dup is so fast omg omg omg" Ya, to bad so inconsistent. TK would be a better winger then him. I have such a bad vibe for him that I don't even want to look him up on wikipedia to further and more intelligently evaluate his role and potential. I just want to hate him.

Dupuis isn't supposed to be a goal scorer. He's supposed to a 3rd or 4th line guy that can kill penalties and play defense. He's proven that he can do that at the NHL level. HE DOES NOT SUCK. There are more types of games than just offensive game.

It's the Playstation hockey idea. In video games it does not matter what a player does or doesn't do as long as he puts up points. Points are all that matters in video game hockey and that is what many people have begun to base "real life" opinions on.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:23 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Ron` wrote:Immediate gratification is not the norm. He is doing well in the AHL adapting. What makes anyone think he's a failed project already? I actually think he will be up and producing before this season is over.

I actually thought he was adapting really well and was pleased with his output. He's a lot more physical than I expected him to be and he's making smart decisions.

That alone will get him more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

How do you know the Penguins are playing great hockey and the top three lines are clicking?

There is a 4 page thread discussing whether it should be Janne Pesonen or Pascal Dupuis getting the 5 minutes of even strength ice time on the forth line. I'll vote for Dupuis since his speed and forechecking give him the best skill set to succeed as an energy line guy and he isn't on a two-way contract, but in all honesty, I don't really care if it's Dupuis, Pesonen, Taffe, or Minard that gets these minutes.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Dupuis is fine in his 3rd/4th line role. He isn't keeping Pesonen down.

If Sykora or Satan go down, look for Pesonen to get the call-up.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Kicksave wrote:Dupuis is fine in his 3rd/4th line role. He isn't keeping Pesonen down.

Dupuis was bad on the first line, he can't play in the NHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Dupuis is fine in his 3rd/4th line role. He isn't keeping Pesonen down.

Dupuis was bad on the first line, he can't play in the NHL.

Yikes, then Ryan Malone owes a certain someone $31.5 million and a written apology...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins