Pesonen done as a Pen?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pesonen done as a Pen?

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Fire MT. Pesonen > Crosby >> Dupuis >>>>>>> Melichar.

Pesonen-Gaborik-Kovalchuk
Pesonen-Malkin-Semin
Pesonen-Pesonen-Talbot
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

No Pesonen on the 4th line... that line sucks then!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Maagwa wrote:Pesonen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dup.

He sucks. 82 games. Less than 10 goals on Crosby's wing. I could pick someone off the street that could score more than that. "Oooooo Dup is so fast omg omg omg" Ya, to bad so inconsistent. TK would be a better winger then him. I have such a bad vibe for him that I don't even want to look him up on wikipedia to further and more intelligently evaluate his role and potential. I just want to hate him.

Dupuis isn't supposed to be a goal scorer. He's supposed to a 3rd or 4th line guy that can kill penalties and play defense. He's proven that he can do that at the NHL level. HE DOES NOT SUCK. There are more types of games than just offensive game.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby careyz8 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Pesonen hasn't even played a quarter of a season of North American hockey. He's still getting used to it. I'm sure he's gonna start netting them pretty soon. Worst comes to worse is that we trade him at the deadline for a pick/prospect. Remember, he's not close Crosby or Malkin's caliber. But, he is on pace for 29 goals and 90+ points, just by what he has now.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MtWash on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 pm

PATIENCE! How about we let him develop for more than 1 month. We don't need a "scoring winger" right now anyways. Our team is on fire and we have good depth for the year IMO. Let him play almost all year at WBS and next year, when we lose some UFA's, maybe he is good enough to be a top 6 winger.
MtWash
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby emptyfriend on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Burnaby_Joe wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:Pesonen = Jiri Dopita.
WRITE IT DOWN.

I fail to see any similarity.........Dopita was center, Janne is winger.............Dopita went straight to NHL team (Flyers), Janne is currently in AHL....................Dopita scored 27 points in 52 games, Janne already has 17 in 14...............Dopita had he's first stint with NA hockey at age of 32, Janne is 26.............

Dopita scored 33 points in 73 NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE games, Pesonen has 17 in 14 AMERICAN LEAGUE GAMES. 26 is still old for an NHL debut these days, is it not? Point is he will be in the NHL for a cup of coffee, like Dopita. He was said then to be a lock to be a monster in the NHL, and it never happened. And BTW, if the gold helmeted wonder doesn't crack the Pen's NHL lineup this season, he'll go home next season before he plays in the AHL again......
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Burnaby_Joe on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm

emptyfriend wrote:
Burnaby_Joe wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:Pesonen = Jiri Dopita.
WRITE IT DOWN.

I fail to see any similarity.........Dopita was center, Janne is winger.............Dopita went straight to NHL team (Flyers), Janne is currently in AHL....................Dopita scored 27 points in 52 games, Janne already has 17 in 14...............Dopita had he's first stint with NA hockey at age of 32, Janne is 26.............

Dopita scored 33 points in 73 NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE games, Pesonen has 17 in 14 AMERICAN LEAGUE GAMES. 26 is still old for an NHL debut these days, is it not? Point is he will be in the NHL for a cup of coffee, like Dopita. He was said then to be a lock to be a monster in the NHL, and it never happened. And BTW, if the gold helmeted wonder doesn't crack the Pen's NHL lineup this season, he'll go home next season before he plays in the AHL again......

That tells me that maybe Dopita would have been better off with some seasoning in AHL, nothing else.
Why would 26 be old!? I really don't think Janne is going back like that. He has enough talent to be somewhere else in the NHL if not Penguins.
Burnaby_Joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Psst...everyone...relax, this is his first year in North America...I'm sorry that he's not batting 3 points per game in his first 15 North American pro games like you wanted...geez...

I'm not sure who expected instant top liner, that wasn't happening likely...and I'm not sure the people that have given up on him (or never gave him a chance) are right either...he's a prospect and something of a project, he hasn't been over or under expectations really for me...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I don't see why people are down on him as a player. The guy has shown nothing but class and willing to put in the hard work to make it to the NHL. It didn't cost this organization anything to give him a shot. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, then we're no worse off than we were before. This team is bereft of top-2 line wingers, and that is what Pesnonen could become.

And let's face it, 26 isn't that old. Brian Gionta didn't come around until his later 20s. Martin St. Louis didn't break into the NHL and be successful until he was a bit older. I'm not comparing their styles of play, just saying sometimes players tend to take a while to develop and mature.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:26 pm

He sucks. 82 games. Less than 10 goals on Crosby's wing. I could pick someone off the street that could score more than that. "Oooooo Dup is so fast omg omg omg" Ya, to bad so inconsistent. TK would be a better winger then him. I have such a bad vibe for him that I don't even want to look him up on wikipedia to further and more intelligently evaluate his role and potential. I just want to hate him.

One of the worst comments I've read in a while.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:I don't know why people are so in love with Pesonen.

This. The fact remains that no one here has really seen much of pesonen at all, even those who get to go to the WBS games on a semi regular basis. There is no way this obsession should have been developed. He is worth being excited about, because he is virtually a no-risk high reward acquisition, but he has shown nothing to indicate that he is ready to play regular NHL minutes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:34 pm

purelebo84 wrote:

I was going to refer you to Kicksave's location, but he removed it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Pascal Dupuis on your fourth line tells alot. Solid third liner on any team, second liner on the majority. I like the chemistry of this team. Work your way into the lineup with a bunch of serious stars. The record supports it too. Could be the best start ever for this team, all time. If they wouldn't have lost either of the blue chip D they would be rolling.
Last edited by Ron` on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:36 pm

bhaw wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:

I was going to refer you to Kicksave's location, but he removed it.

What was my location?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

This. The fact remains that no one here has really seen much of pesonen at all, even those who get to go to the WBS games on a semi regular basis. There is no way this obsession should have been developed. He is worth being excited about, because he is virtually a no-risk high reward acquisition, but he has shown nothing to indicate that he is ready to play regular NHL minutes.

Perhaps you don't have access to youtube...

If Pesonen is smart and actually cares about getting a shot in the NHL, he will stick around. It would be detrimental to his chances to hop from team to team hoping someone just plugs him in the lineup. And if he gets that shot and doesn't produce, no one will pick him up. His best opportunity going forward is to continue working in the AHL and earn a spot.

As of right now, it appears he is being smart about it and handling it very well. The off season could be interesting. It is actually pretty nice to just infuse a prospect into the system like that, but at the same time, he is free to do as he pleases come July 1st.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Kicksave wrote:What was my location?

Were you the one that had "Maagwa makes stupid posts?" Or was that Kovy? (or canaan? or someone else?)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:40 pm

bhaw wrote:

Were you the one that had "Maagwa makes stupid posts?" Or was that Kovy? (or canaan? or someone else?)

Ha-ha. No, that was his own location. I just took the screen shot of it and reminded him of it. He then went on to call me, canaan and Kovy like the top-3 negative posters or something like that.

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:41 pm

bhaw wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

If Pesonen is smart and actually cares about getting a shot in the NHL, he will stick around. It would be detrimental to his chances to hop from team to team hoping someone just plugs him in the lineup. And if he gets that shot and doesn't produce, no one will pick him up. His best opportunity going forward is to continue working in the AHL and earn a spot.

As of right now, it appears he is being smart about it and handling it very well. The off season could be interesting. It is actually pretty nice to just infuse a prospect into the system like that, but at the same time, he is free to do as he pleases come July 1st.

Did you quote the correct post?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Immediate gratification is not the norm. He is doing well in the AHL adapting. What makes anyone think he's a failed project already? I actually think he will be up and producing before this season is over.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Ron` wrote:Immediate gratification is not the norm. He is doing well in the AHL adapting. What makes anyone think he's a failed project already? I actually think he will be up and producing before this season is over.

I actually thought he was adapting really well and was pleased with his output. He's a lot more physical than I expected him to be and he's making smart decisions.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:
idoit40fans wrote:he has shown nothing to indicate that he is ready to play regular NHL minutes.

Did you quote the correct post?

That was how I meant it, but then I decided to add something of substance to the post.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Kicksave wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Ha-ha. No, that was his own location. I just took the screen shot of it and reminded him of it. He then went on to call me, canaan and Kovy like the top-3 negative posters or something like that.

I thought someone else put their location as "Maagwa makes stupid posts" as well. I forget who though...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Kicksave wrote:
bhaw wrote:

He definitely doesn't like the clique.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:01 pm

I think the reason why people want to see Peso up here is because we've already seen plenty of our current wingers and we're not thrilled with them. It's no secret that we're at least one and maybe two top six wingers short of a full set. We can shuffle all we want but at the end of the day guys like Max and Pascal Dupuis aren't really top 6 material. Staal was a failure at wing and even Rusty is marginal. We even tried Cooke and TK but they couldn't stick. So we have this guy in WB who we know has talent. The coaches down there have been very impressed with him from what I've read, but he does still need to adjust some to North American hockey. Why the heck wouldn't people want to at least give him a look? If he bombs there's not much harm done.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:04 pm

you still want to set him up for the best chance for success. that is after he has spent more time in WBS. It's much smarter to get him as ready as possible for his shot than to just throw him in there and hope he works.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Pens15 wrote:I think the reason why people want to see Peso up here is because we've already seen plenty of our current wingers and we're not thrilled with them. It's no secret that we're at least one and maybe two top six wingers short of a full set. We can shuffle all we want but at the end of the day guys like Max and Pascal Dupuis aren't really top 6 material. Staal was a failure at wing and even Rusty is marginal. We even tried Cooke and TK but they couldn't stick. So we have this guy in WB who we know has talent. The coaches down there have been very impressed with him from what I've read, but he does still need to adjust some to North American hockey. Why the heck wouldn't people want to at least give him a look? If he bombs there's not much harm done.
Look at the overall picture, our record is fine. Our production is fine behind solid goaltending. There is no reason to rush Peso.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins