Shero praise...from me = )

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shero praise...from me = )

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:26 pm

A little love for Shero. I truly believe that the pens are in great hands, present and long term with Shero manning the ship.

Since they first hired him, I have been very impressed with his poise and knowledge of the players and the current cap structure. He is a bright young face for the franchise.

I think he is slowly becoming one of the better GM's in the league.

When the pens make a trade or a free agent signing I am very confident that at the end of the day that the deal has been carefully thought about and benefits the team in one way or another.

Bottom line: Shero has all my confidence. I would have him running my team any day of the week.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Shero praise...from me = )

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Yeah, he doesn't seem nearly as erratic as some of the other GMs in this league.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Shero, my hero. How wonderful you are.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

I also kind of think he's in a good situation here in Pittsburgh. I can't really say for sure what it's like in other places, but i think most people here support all forward thinking moves by the team. I think most of us are patient with player development and would rather the team focus on consistent long term success than for them to bankrupt the system to play for the now.

That said, he's also shown a willingness to make a key move and make a run for the cup with Hossa. Most penguin fans were shocked with the move, but also loved watching Hossa play an integral part in our cup run.

The fans here are very supportive through good and bad times, i think it's a luxury that few NHL teams have right now.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Marian Hossa not signing that Contract was the best thing to happen for us in my opinion. Tieing Hossa up for 7.5 Million for 7 years with Crosby/Malkin at 8.75 is just insane for 3 players. We would have been Tampa Bay all over again. Sure, we might have gotten a cup or two. But we would have no room to sign Staal, Oprik, and future players like Letang as well for long term deals. Now I think our team will remain more balanced giving us many more years as a cup favorites, instead of just turning into a team with 3 superstars and no talent around them / depth. As much as I hate the situation, I still think Shero should make that deal again. It was a great run, the franchise needed that playoff money to keep things going in the right direction. Maybe we don't end up beating the Rangers in row 2 without the Hossa trade.

The One trade I didn't like that much was getting Laraque. We gave up Carcillo who I wanted to see in a Pens uniform for a few years. Carcillo is so underrated with his hockey ability. It would have been so interesting to see Therrien throw Carcillo on Crosby's line when we would play the Flyers or something just so nobody would F*** with Sid. Carcillo is more of the Psycho type of enforcer that will go punch someone in the face just because... Laraque was too nice.

Just my opinions :)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Nizzy wrote:Marian Hossa not signing that Contract was the best thing to happen for us in my opinion. Tieing Hossa up for 7.5 Million for 7 years with Crosby/Malkin at 8.75 is just insane for 3 players. We would have been Tampa Bay all over again. Sure, we might have gotten a cup or two. But we would have no room to sign Staal, Oprik, and future players like Letang as well for long term deals. Now I think our team will remain more balanced giving us many more years as a cup favorites, instead of just turning into a team with 3 superstars and no talent around them / depth. As much as I hate the situation, I still think Shero should make that deal again. It was a great run, the franchise needed that playoff money to keep things going in the right direction. Maybe we don't end up beating the Rangers in row 2 without the Hossa trade.

The One trade I didn't like that much was getting Laraque. We gave up Carcillo who I wanted to see in a Pens uniform for a few years. Carcillo is so underrated with his hockey ability. It would have been so interesting to see Therrien throw Carcillo on Crosby's line when we would play the Flyers or something just so nobody would F*** with Sid. Carcillo is more of the Psycho type of enforcer that will go punch someone in the face just because... Laraque was too nice.

I thought that we gave up too much for Roberts at the time...I messed that one up...BGL trade I liked because I was/am a big fan of legit heavyweights on a young team with stars.

Deadline deals you usually have to give up more though. Gill he gave up a 2nd and a 5th etc...

One thing Shero is good at is identifying the teams strengths and weaknesses...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Nizzy wrote:Marian Hossa not signing that Contract was the best thing to happen for us in my opinion. Tieing Hossa up for 7.5 Million for 7 years with Crosby/Malkin at 8.75 is just insane for 3 players. We would have been Tampa Bay all over again. Sure, we might have gotten a cup or two. But we would have no room to sign Staal, Oprik, and future players like Letang as well for long term deals. Now I think our team will remain more balanced giving us many more years as a cup favorites, instead of just turning into a team with 3 superstars and no talent around them / depth. As much as I hate the situation, I still think Shero should make that deal again. It was a great run, the franchise needed that playoff money to keep things going in the right direction. Maybe we don't end up beating the Rangers in row 2 without the Hossa trade.

Not to derail the thread, but Carcillo would not have lasted in a Pens uniform. When you are playing for the Cup, the last thing you need is a psycho in the box 8 minutes a game. The guy hasn't done much hockey wise, and this year he's not doing much penalty wise for the Coyotes. And Gretzky has given him plenty of opportunity.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Barracuda on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Shero is a pretty good gm, but not the best.

Good: His trades. He has not made a trade I haven't liked. He's gotten some good pieces for this team while giving up trash we don't need. I know some of these players were liked by fans, but giving up army, crusher, welch, and carcillo was addition by subtraction.

Negatives: I know there's a lot of negativity on this board, but I don't like how he is handling the scoring winger situation. I know it seems like Hossa bailed at the last minute, but why sign wingers for only a year? Crosby and Malkin need time to develop chemistry with their wingers but sykora, satan, and fedotenko are all ufas next year. I doubt all 3 will be resigned.
Barracuda
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Barracuda wrote:Shero is a pretty good gm, but not the best.

Good: His trades. He has not made a trade I haven't liked. He's gotten some good pieces for this team while giving up trash we don't need. I know some of these players were liked by fans, but giving up army, crusher, welch, and carcillo was addition by subtraction.

Negatives: I know there's a lot of negativity on this board, but I don't like how he is handling the scoring winger situation. I know it seems like Hossa bailed at the last minute, but why sign wingers for only a year? Crosby and Malkin need time to develop chemistry with their wingers but sykora, satan, and fedotenko are all ufas next year. I doubt all 3 will be resigned.

I think it's a positive that he doesn't get locked into long term big dollar deals with aging vets....Come end of this year I think we will all be happy that he didn't sign Satan to a 2 or 3 year deal...By giving only 1 year deals to non-core players it gives him more roster flexibility come July 1...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:51 pm

For a second, I misread the title of this thread as Shero - Parise. I wish somehow Shero could steal Parise from NJ, haha. But SHero praise is good too. Especially after the Tampa/Melrose disaster, having good ownership and management cannot be understated.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Barracuda wrote:Negatives: I know there's a lot of negativity on this board, but I don't like how he is handling the scoring winger situation. I know it seems like Hossa bailed at the last minute, but why sign wingers for only a year? .

I actually think its his long term plan to be a deep downt he middle type team, and he will try to acquire older vets (ala sykora and satan) and sign them for short term deals to play wing. I think he made his choice and i like that. I mean last time i looked Malkin was leading the league in scoring and sid was up there too. All without the scoring winger everyone wants.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 pm

In Shero we trust.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:55 pm

The Penguins' task now is to develop two wingers from within.

Or give Kevin Stevens a youth potion and tell him to stay away from the hookers and blow.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Three Stars wrote:The Penguins' task now is to develop two wingers from within.

Or give Kevin Stevens a youth potion and tell him to stay away from the hookers and blow.

We know what the odds of that happening is :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:02 pm

The Carcillo/Laraque trade didn't look too bad back then, but in hindsight yeah. That's the way it is.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:03 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
Barracuda wrote:Negatives: I know there's a lot of negativity on this board, but I don't like how he is handling the scoring winger situation. I know it seems like Hossa bailed at the last minute, but why sign wingers for only a year? .

I actually think its his long term plan to be a deep downt he middle type team, and he will try to acquire older vets (ala sykora and satan) and sign them for short term deals to play wing. I think he made his choice and i like that. I mean last time i looked Malkin was leading the league in scoring and sid was up there too. All without the scoring winger everyone wants.

The scoring winger thing is kind of annoying. . . anyone look at how many goals the Pens have been getting as of late?
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Zach6668 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Noise wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:

The scoring winger thing is kind of annoying. . . anyone look at how many goals the Pens have been getting as of late?

Even more important, look at the number in the W column. :D
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby careyz8 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Even more important, look at the number in the W column. :D

Exactly, off to one of the best starts in franchise history and the top three lines have been producing very well during this streak. Everybody seems to know their role on this team.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 pm

It's not just Shero that likes to be deep down the middle -- lots of hockey experts cite having good centers as a key to a good team.

Develop the wingers through the system, trade them for good prospects/picks and keep the core. Big fan of Shero's
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Wake up Shero!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Noise wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:

But, they're coming from centers, and, as we all know, if your centers do your scoring it is a sign of personal weakness.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 pm

He needs a theme song.

"We need a Shero...holdin' out for a Shero 'till the end of the night".

"There goes my Shero...watch him as he goes".

"And they say that a Shero will save us...I'm not gonna stand here and waaaaaait".
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Three Stars wrote:He needs a theme song.

"We need a Shero...holdin' out for a Shero 'till the end of the night".

"There goes my Shero...watch him as he goes".

"And they say that a Shero will save us...I'm not gonna stand here and waaaaaait".

If I had any musical talent, I'd re-do the Greatest American Hero theme and call it the "the Great American Shero".

Actually....it's photoshop time. :lol:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Barracuda wrote:Negatives: I know there's a lot of negativity on this board, but I don't like how he is handling the scoring winger situation. I know it seems like Hossa bailed at the last minute, but why sign wingers for only a year? Crosby and Malkin need time to develop chemistry with their wingers but sykora, satan, and fedotenko are all ufas next year. I doubt all 3 will be resigned.

I think there are two BIG reasons for this:

1. Staal. It's hard to commit to other guys long term until they can get his situation under control. It's still totally up in the air depending on when he signs and how he looks between now and then. You can't commit long term to wingers when you don't know how much Staal is going to cost, nor do we know what position he will be playing in the long term.

2. Satan and Fedotenko are not guys Shero wants long term. Why sign guys who are your 2nd choice when you have better players coming up the next off season? Both of these guys were also big question marks. $3M+ for a guy who had a couple lousy years up to this season is not good management. He could do it this year because they had the room to do it. Next year, that luxury goes away with Malkin's contract kicking in and Staal's contract, assuming he stays.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins