If We Re-Sign Staal Soon...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If We Re-Sign Staal Soon...

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Who do you want to see locked up next, and for what amount of time? With most of the core just about in tact to play together for a number of years barring injury and trade opportunity, where do we go after Staal? As far as forwards I'd like to see us sign Talbot. For defense, I'd definitely like to see a deal reached with Letang. Reason I'm asking is I don't know where these guys stand as far as their contracts go. So who else do you want to see locked up?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: If We Re-Sign Staal Soon...

Postby Maagwa on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 pm

Talbot (RFA) - Naaaaaaa
Sykora (UFA) - Naaaaaaa
Goligoski (RFA) - Yaaaaaaaaaaa
Zigomanis (UFA) - Yaaaaaaaaaa
Sabu (UFA) - Naaaaaaaaaa
Last edited by Maagwa on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maagwa

Postby Waffles on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Lemieux :O
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Talbot (RFA)
Sykora (UFA)
Goligoski (RFA)
Zigomanis (UFA)
Sabu (UFA)
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Talbot and Zigomanis... those are the kind of guys that the best teams get locked up. Talbot something 3 years 5 million, Zigo something like 2 years 2.2 million.

Sabu's gonna be a starter next year somewhere, It's not important to re-up guys like sykora, gill, and scuderi now, as a lot can happen by july 1 and we don't know whether we'll need them.

Letang and Goligoski remain a puzzle. Goligoski is RFA after this year, Letang has 1 more year. The decision is most likely going to have to be made as to which one of those are in our long-term plans. The other option would be to let gonch's contract run out and let him walk, however i don't agree with that.

Personally I think Letang is very expendable. I haven't seen a lot from him in his entire time here. Yes, he skates incredibly well, but he makes a lot of mistakes on both ends of the ice. Goligoski, however, I can see turning into a top-notch dman in this league. He skates equally as well as letang, and he is outstanding with the puck. Obviously, as a rookie he is showing defensive flaws, but those should work themselves out. In addition, the right package centered around letang could land a pretty solid top-6 forward.

Just my take, i'm sure plenty of people would rather see letang kept around.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Three Stars on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Maagwa wrote:Talbot (RFA) - Naaaaaaa
Sykora (UFA) - Naaaaaaa
Goligoski (RFA) - Yaaaaaaaaaaa
Zigomanis (UFA) - Yaaaaaaaaaa
Sabu (UFA) - Naaaaaaaaaa
Pesonen (UFA) -Nananananaaaanananaanaanaaaaaa

Fixed.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:39 pm

I think Sabu has played great, but I am not sold that he will be a #1 starter for a team next year. Most teams have a solid #1 goalie. LA doesn't have a #1, but they are waiting for Bernier...

Sabu will probably be a backup again next year, either in Pittsburgh or elsewhere...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Paekman on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I think that the re-signing of Talbot is very important to this club. I'm of course going to start with the "heart & soul" type of player argument. The bottomline is that guys like Max Talbot are very important to championship (or close to championship) caliber clubs. I know that some folks will use the Colby Armstrong "great locker room guy/not so great player" argument, but I think that's where the primary difference lies: Talbot is a great player.

Talbot scores big goals. Talbot plays with great energy and passion (just like his current center). Talbot is solid defensively and at least passable on faceoffs. Talbot sticks up for himself and his teammates. Talbot does solid work night in, night out. He's not a huge goal scorer, but there's no reason why he can't get 20 a season or so.

Some may chuckle at the notion, but I believe that Max is a part of "The Core" of this club. Yes, the player is replaceable. Any player outside of a select few in the league is. However, the total package that Talbot brings is not, IMHO.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 pm

My Order of preference:

1. Talbot
2. Sykora
3. Zigomanis
4. Goligoski
5. Sabourin
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Nizzy wrote:My Order of preference:

1. Talbot
2. Sykora
3. Zigomanis
4. Goligoski
5. Sabourin

1. Talbot
2. Goligoski
3. Sykora
4. Zigomanis
5. Sabourin
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Talbot and Goligoski will both be re-signed easily imo. 3 year deals for both...

Sykora I am curious to what his cost/term will be. He took his discount to come here in the first place, not sure if he will do it again. I will not break the bank to keep him...2 years $7MM total? $3.5 per...Satan money...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Paekman wrote:I think that the re-signing of Talbot is very important to this club. I'm of course going to start with the "heart & soul" type of player argument. The bottomline is that guys like Max Talbot are very important to championship (or close to championship) caliber clubs. I know that some folks will use the Colby Armstrong "great locker room guy/not so great player" argument, but I think that's where the primary difference lies: Talbot is a great player.

Talbot scores big goals. Talbot plays with great energy and passion (just like his current center). Talbot is solid defensively and at least passable on faceoffs. Talbot sticks up for himself and his teammates. Talbot does solid work night in, night out. He's not a huge goal scorer, but there's no reason why he can't get 20 a season or so.

Some may chuckle at the notion, but I believe that Max is a part of "The Core" of this club. Yes, the player is replaceable. Any player outside of a select few in the league is. However, the total package that Talbot brings is not, IMHO.

and the fact that A and L motors needs him to do commercials.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 pm

1. Talbot
2. Goligoski
3. Sykora
4. Zigomanis
5. Sabourin
is correct
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 pm

KG wrote:Talbot and Goligoski will both be re-signed easily imo. 3 year deals for both...

Sykora I am curious to what his cost/term will be. He took his discount to come here in the first place, not sure if he will do it again. I will not break the bank to keep him...2 years $7MM total? $3.5 per...Satan money...

You have to think Sykora took the deal he did to get one more bigger one coming out of this deal. He isn't young though, so the hopes of another Cup is probably burning in his mind. So maybe Detroit? :P J/k. Sykora's deal will probably depend on the outcome of this season. I can see him going for money, but not necessarily to the likes of a TB like some others did.

I believe Shero knows what Sykora is worth to the team and he knows that a big part of Sykora's performance is Malkin. I doubt he'll throw too much at him, so if the tag starts getting much over 3-3.5 per year, my guess is he's gone.

Talbot needs to stay.
Goligoski will sign, and I don't see him costing much.
Zigomanis has been nice, but like Adam Hall, he's gone if he wants much more than league minimum. Remember that this guy was waived by the Coyotes.
Sabu will depend on how he performs the rest of the way out. You have to think Shero likes having him on the cheap side, but he may want someone more dependable for long stretches if Fleury goes down for any length of time again.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby spi on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Max T should be locked up immediately if not sooner. I think he loves the org. and the org should pay it back with a multiyear deal that gives him a sizable raise on his current salary but maintains a very reasonable salary for the cap. Talbot fills so many key roles with this team and he is definitely the kind of player that winning teams need. You gotta lock up guys like that early to remove the risk of losing them or overpaying them.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Paekman wrote:I think that the re-signing of Talbot is very important to this club. I'm of course going to start with the "heart & soul" type of player argument. The bottomline is that guys like Max Talbot are very important to championship (or close to championship) caliber clubs. I know that some folks will use the Colby Armstrong "great locker room guy/not so great player" argument, but I think that's where the primary difference lies: Talbot is a great player.

Max = Colby + Talent.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MtWash on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Max = Colby + Talent.[/quote]

Max = Colby + Talent + Fu Manchu
MtWash
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:59 pm

MtWash wrote:Max = Colby + Talent.

Max = Colby + Talent + Fu Manchu[/quote]

Fu Manchu adds +3 to PKing.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Talbot and Zigomanis... those are the kind of guys that the best teams get locked up. Talbot something 3 years 5 million, Zigo something like 2 years 2.2 million.

Sabu's gonna be a starter next year somewhere, It's not important to re-up guys like sykora, gill, and scuderi now, as a lot can happen by july 1 and we don't know whether we'll need them.

Letang and Goligoski remain a puzzle. Goligoski is RFA after this year, Letang has 1 more year. The decision is most likely going to have to be made as to which one of those are in our long-term plans. The other option would be to let gonch's contract run out and let him walk, however i don't agree with that.

Personally I think Letang is very expendable. I haven't seen a lot from him in his entire time here. Yes, he skates incredibly well, but he makes a lot of mistakes on both ends of the ice. Goligoski, however, I can see turning into a top-notch dman in this league. He skates equally as well as letang, and he is outstanding with the puck. Obviously, as a rookie he is showing defensive flaws, but those should work themselves out. In addition, the right package centered around letang could land a pretty solid top-6 forward.

Letang > Goligoski
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Sykora isn't going to command a raise at all. He's getting old and he's totally one-dimensional. He'll be lucky if we even want him back at the same price.

Max Talbot is very overrated among Pens fans. I'm not against keeping him just for his popularity, continuity and good vibes in the dressing room. But as a player he is the definition of replaceable. He's not more talented than Colby. Colby was a better player than Max easily. Prioritize Goligoski over Talbot by far.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Pens15 wrote:Sykora isn't going to command a raise at all. He's getting old and he's totally one-dimensional. He'll be lucky if we even want him back at the same price.

Max Talbot is very overrated among Pens fans. I'm not against keeping him just for his popularity, continuity and good vibes in the dressing room. But as a player he is the definition of replaceable. He's not more talented than Colby. Colby was a better player than Max easily. Prioritize Goligoski over Talbot by far.

Uh...no, Talbot is miles ahead of armstrong talentwise. He always was. As a player, he is replaceable though, but i'm willing to pay for is innate ability to score huge goals. He did it all last year and the year before that really and put the ! on it with that goal in the finals.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Sykora isn't going to command a raise at all. He's getting old and he's totally one-dimensional. He'll be lucky if we even want him back at the same price.

Uh...no, Talbot is miles ahead of armstrong talentwise. He always was. As a player, he is replaceable though, but i'm willing to pay for is innate ability to score huge goals. He did it all last year and the year before that really and put the ! on it with that goal in the finals.

Agreed. He isn't going to break the bank either. Whoever said Zigomanis for 2/2.2M is crazy though. He'll get league minimum, maybe a touch more if he stays with the Pens. Otherwise it's just another Adam Hall.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Perhaps you've missed the last several off seasons where older players get fairly sizable contracts for similar numbers to Sykora.

If he doesn't get a raise, it's because he chooses to stay here and forgo what another team will offer.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

How do you figure that Talbot is "miles ahead" of Colby talentwise? Even if he is better, which I disagree with, it's not by miles. Colby scored a lot of big goals in his time also. He had a knack for OT goals. I think Colby had better hands than Max. He was also bigger and he could hit a lot better. I don't want to overrate Colby either, but I strongly think he was better than Max.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Noise wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Talbot and Zigomanis... those are the kind of guys that the best teams get locked up. Talbot something 3 years 5 million, Zigo something like 2 years 2.2 million.

Letang > Goligoski

I agree. But, I hope we can hold onto both. For all the grief Dejan K gave the Goligoski draft pick, :) I hope he is watching Alex Google have early season success.
But in the harsh world, I watched the devils/avs remain in contention by trading from their depth.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins