Timing is everything - trade

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Timing is everything - trade

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Timing is everything.

Shero pulls the trigger on the Sydor trade and subsequently we see that 2 top 4 dmen go down (Ference-Bruins, Beauchemin-Ducks).

I was all for holding on to Sydor for the right time. In my mind, I think he pulled the trigger too early.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Timing is everything - trade

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Huh?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Injuries are going to happen all season, and other teams have much more to offer on the back-end than Daryll Sydor.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pinboy87 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Umm, didn't we trade D for D? So, we still have depth. Did I miss something?
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:35 pm

He's arguing that with the two defensemen down, those teams need a dman more and would have given more than Boucher.

Aka - Shero should have realized they were going to get hurt so he could have gotten more for sydor.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby careyz8 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Sydor had to waive his no trade clause and since he played in Dallas for many years, it was probably his #1 choice other than another cup contender.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:40 pm

As I said in the other thread on Boucher, Shero took a guy from the Press Box and turned him into a potential top 4 Dman who can play the point on the PP and who is also righty.

What more were you expecting? It's not like the Ducks were going to give up Corey Perry for Sydor.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MtWash on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:43 pm

If Boucher can contribute a little on the power play (I don't expent much), it's another good move by Shero. How much do you really expect to get in return for Sydor?
MtWash
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:44 pm

We weren't gonna get fantastic value for Sydor...certainly nothing more than we got already...

Secondly, both Boston and especially Anaheim have NHL caliber YOUNG depth...Salcido, Mikkelson, Festerling for Anaheim are all guys that could probably play in the NHL right now...

So, in response...Context is everything.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Hmm, couldn't we trade Boucher to the Bruins or Ducks now instead?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Penspal wrote:Timing is everything.

Shero pulls the trigger on the Sydor trade and subsequently we see that 2 top 4 dmen go down (Ference-Bruins, Beauchemin-Ducks).

I was all for holding on to Sydor for the right time. In my mind, I think he pulled the trigger too early.

ummm, you thinking the Pens could have got Lucic for Sydor or Meon for Sydor or something? Yeah right.

Ducks don't have the cap room and Burke is gone, and Boston isn't stupid.

Now you could argue that Boucher's price could go up due to pressure from injuries from other teams, and with 2 teams out 2 big d-men, they were lucky to pull off the trade before other teams could make Boucher's value go up.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:49 pm

We also don't have the capspace to make anything spectacular...
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:23 pm

The Snapshot wrote:As I said in the other thread on Boucher, Shero took a guy from the Press Box and turned him into a potential top 4 Dman who can play the point on the PP and who is also righty.

What more were you expecting? It's not like the Ducks were going to give up Corey Perry for Sydor.

Except that Boucher wasn't taken from the press box. The only game he was scratched for was Saturday night, and only because a deal was in place. In fact, excluding the 5 games Zubov has played, Boucher would rank 2nd on the Stars in ice team amongst the defense.

Boucher has struggled, but, more than anything, this was a deal to try and jump start the Stars. They have struggled badly, and Boucher was largely replaced while he was injured last year. Plus was going to be a UFA at the end of this season. He and Sydor have the same contract situation, which also made this work.

It seems people think that Shero simply dumped Sydor. Count me amongst the minority who believe that Shero saw some potential in a veteran puck moving defenseman who was third in the league in dman scoring two seasons ago. He's been a top four guy for the last several years. I tend to believe that he'll end up playing regularly for the Pens. That right handed shot comes in handy as well. I think Boucher ends up as a top six guy for us this season.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:33 pm

longtimefan wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:As I said in the other thread on Boucher, Shero took a guy from the Press Box and turned him into a potential top 4 Dman who can play the point on the PP and who is also righty.

Except that Boucher wasn't taken from the press box. The only game he was scratched for was Saturday night, and only because a deal was in place. In fact, excluding the 5 games Zubov has played, Boucher would rank 2nd on the Stars in ice team amongst the defense.

The reference was to Sydor. He has been sitting in the press box and was traded for someone who logs top-four minutes.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 am

I did not mention any player. Yes, it really is a supply/demand sort of statement. When other teams need an experienced defenceman, then they are more likely to give a more valuable asset in return. I'm not talking about blockbuster deal or anything, but there are some interesting options at 2.5 million are there not?

Its hard to blame Shero for this as hindsight is 20/20, but we are still very early in the season and we will get some quality offensive D back before the playoffs. The goals are finally staring to go in for the top 3 lines, so I don't think I would have changed anything.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Arlow on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 am

I think Shero made the move as quickly as possible not only for the Pens sake but also for Sydors. He's a stand-up guy who deserved to be playing somewhere and Shero respected that and moved him accordingly. It's a move that's going to work out for both of us.
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am

Last time I checked, I thought the pens were one of the top 5 best defensive teams in the NHL, I don't really think we need to worry about top 4 dmen, we be roliln' hard right now
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 am

Gonchar and Whitney are injured and yet we did not trade Staal for Tom Poti. It's amazing.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby spi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 am

Boucher will bring more than Sydor ever would have. Be is bigger and right handed. I dont think that RS moved too early at all. I think he put the team in a better position to get more back.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:02 am

Wow. You can't predict injuries. Plus, I don't think Shero would have gotten much more for Sydor.

He did fine with the trade.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:18 am

longtimefan wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:It seems people think that Shero simply dumped Sydor. Count me amongst the minority who believe that Shero saw some potential in a veteran puck moving defenseman who was third in the league in dman scoring two seasons ago. He's been a top four guy for the last several years. I tend to believe that he'll end up playing regularly for the Pens. That right handed shot comes in handy as well. I think Boucher ends up as a top six guy for us this season.

I guess i am in the minority too, i agree with everything you said.

Hindsight is great, but there is no way to know those two dman where going to down plus there is no guarantee they would trade with us. I have great respect for Sydor by the way he handled himself, he asked shero for a trade and then sat back queitly and waited. He did not cause problems in the locker room and he was a class act all the way. Shero then traded him to a team he would go to for a guy that could be a huge x factor for us. To me, that is a win-win for everyone. (Or if you watch the Office, its a win-win-win, Dallas wins, the Pens win, and us fans win)
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Doogs on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 am

spi wrote:Boucher will bring more than Sydor ever would have. Be is bigger and right handed. I dont think that RS moved too early at all. I think he put the team in a better position to get more back.

I completely agree with this. Besides, I read somewhere that the Ducks had gone to Dallas asking about Boucher, but Dallas wouldn't trade inside their division. Now, the better question is is there anyone we need from either of those teams? Especially the Ducks if infact they were/are interested.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 am

Doogs wrote:
spi wrote:Boucher will bring more than Sydor ever would have. Be is bigger and right handed. I dont think that RS moved too early at all. I think he put the team in a better position to get more back.

I completely agree with this. Besides, I read somewhere that the Ducks had gone to Dallas asking about Boucher, but Dallas wouldn't trade inside their division. Now, the better question is is there anyone we need from either of those teams? Especially the Ducks if infact they were/are interested.

Well, I'd take Getzlaf. :D
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jaysmiter on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 am

It's times like this that you really have to ask yourself...

Is the bloom of Shero's rose?!

(Sarcasm...thick and creamy, just like grandma used to make.)
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 am

jaysmiter wrote:It's times like this that you really have to ask yourself...

Is the bloom of Shero's rose?!

(Sarcasm...thick and creamy, just like grandma used to make.)

:lol: THAT was a classic thread.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins