What is with all this Gogo > Letang talk?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What is with all this Gogo > Letang talk?

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 pm

tph7856 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
tph7856 wrote:Letang is not good. He's incredibly weak defensively.

Hmmm... I see we don't watch too many real games , huh?

Oh we do, and he's not crap. But he's not at the level people put him on. Not sure what your looking at.

I'm just curious, what makes you say this?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm

tph7856 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
tph7856 wrote:Letang is not good. He's incredibly weak defensively.

Hmmm... I see we don't watch too many real games , huh?

Oh we do, and he's not crap. But he's not at the level people put him on. Not sure what your looking at.

Letang is more than solid on the defensive side of the game. He plays a very physical game for his size and doesn't back down. He's got the offensive game to pinch and the speed to get back on D and make that last ditch effort to knock the puck away from the opposing forward. He's an extremely fast and smooth skater and a very, very good passer.

So, again I ask, exactly how many games have you watched him play?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:39 pm

this is why Letang is the truth. His new nickname should be ""The Truth". Kris "The Truth" Letang. Mark it down you heard it here first.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 pm

it should be leopard. that way there can be a little tiger and a little leopard. mark it down
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:07 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:it should be leopard. that way there can be a little tiger and a little leopard. mark it down

It should be LeGame, its perfect, and is already there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
helmespc wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:People need to give up on Whitney as "expendable". He is the absolute last defenseman on this team that will be moved. It blows my mind that 1. People think Shero will move him and 2. Anyone would even be willing to move him.

Has he proven himself to not be expendable?

Yes.

No. The Pens are winning without him so I hardly think he's indispensable at this time. The best thing going with Whitney is the great contract he has and he's either affordable to keep or easier to trade if necessary.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:09 pm

goligoski has shown flashes of brilliance offensively. way more so than letang or even whitney have ever shown. i'm not saying they haven't shown great offensively play and awareness. but the way goligoski can skate and handle the puck in the offensive end is beautiful. there is a very small sample size, but he's very exciting.

i agree with another poster, though, that i would prefer 6 letangs over 6 gogos. ideally though, i'd prefer 1 letang, 1 gogo, 1 whitney, 1 orpik, 1 gonchar and then probably another orpik
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:12 pm

WildKaper wrote:Letang will be this team's #1 defenseman in a couple years -- bookmark it. His game is about as complete as we have seen since Larry Murphy (although he has a long way to go before we can compare him to Murf).

Goligoski will be #2. A close #2, but #2 regardless. I see him looking more like a Coffee type defenseman, better offensive than defensive. Him a Letang will make a wicked 1/2 combination in a couple years.

Whitney will be gone. A big defenseman who can't skate and refuses to be physical (aren't there 100 of these guys out there today). He is Souray, without the shot, and without the testicular fortitude.

hey. anyone know where the term 'testicular fortitude' came from or how it became popular?
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:14 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:goligoski has shown flashes of brilliance offensively. way more so than letang or even whitney have ever shown. i'm not saying they haven't shown great offensively play and awareness. but the way goligoski can skate and handle the puck in the offensive end is beautiful. there is a very small sample size, but he's very exciting.

i agree with another poster, though, that i would prefer 6 letangs over 6 gogos. ideally though, i'd prefer 1 letang, 1 gogo, 1 whitney, 1 orpik, 1 gonchar and then probably another orpik

Goligoski has 9 points in 16 games for a .6 points per game, at the same age Whitney put up 59 in 81 for .73 points per game. Gogo has a ways to go to meet Whitney offensively. Not saying he won't do it, but he isn't there now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:goligoski has shown flashes of brilliance offensively. way more so than letang or even whitney have ever shown. i'm not saying they haven't shown great offensively play and awareness. but the way goligoski can skate and handle the puck in the offensive end is beautiful. there is a very small sample size, but he's very exciting.

I'd probably trade out Gogo for a third Orpik. That d would have it all on every pairing.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Goligoski has 9 points in 16 games for a .6 points per game, at the same age Whitney put up 59 in 81 for .73 points per game. Gogo has a ways to go to meet Whitney offensively. Not saying he won't do it, but he isn't there now.

yeah. i meant not to say he's better offensively, necessarily. in all aspects, he's probably not. but his grace is eye-catching. more so than whitney and letang. whitney may be more productive in the end, but gogo looks like he can skate much more athletically and has the potential to amaze more than any defenseman we have.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:

I'd probably trade out Gogo for a third Orpik. That d would have it all on every pairing.

hah. i know. and take out whit for another gonch
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:31 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

hah. i know. and take out whit for another gonch

I'd take out Sidney Crosby for a healthy, early-90s Mario Lemieux.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Kicksave wrote:I'd take out Sidney Crosby for a healthy, early-90s Mario Lemieux.

I'll trade Dupuis for a mid 80s Gretz.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sanscrit on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Letang is a gamer. Every time I watch him he is playing hard. I don't get to see the pens live much, but in St. Louis I noticed him out there every time. He seems to always be playing with an edge, taking and giving back the physical play. More than a couple of times he skated gingerly to the bench but he was right back out there the next shift.

I think his size will limit him in his own end, but with a year or two more of experience he will be a very solid well-rounded defenseman. He is the type of player that you need in the core of your D to make deep playoff runs. He can pick it up physically, chip in offensively, and he probably isn't going to cost you a ton of money to keep on the roster.
sanscrit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Kicksave wrote:
I'd take out Sidney Crosby for a healthy, early-90s Mario Lemieux.

Sad thing is, I don't think he was ever "healthy" in the 90's. Shame too. What a waste of one of the most spectacular God-given talents. I love Sid and his work ethic, but Mario man.... watching him work his magic was something I am forever grateful for.

Rereading this, I wanted to add:
I see, like I'm sure many of you, a very real similarity between Mario's raw talent and that of Malkins. Malkin could nor will ever hold Mario's strap imo, but that is why Malkin is so special to me at least. Sid's unbelievable work ethic and drive to be the best along with Malkin sure gives us Pens fans smiles on our faces and tears on opposing team fan's cheeks. :)
Last edited by SoupOrSam on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:33 pm

helmespc wrote:3 mil for Gogo? C'mon. If he's getting that kind of cash after his rookie season, we might as well just trade him now.

I hope your right. But remember, people are signed based on potential now.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm

Whitney got a six year, $4 million per deal after two seasons. And that was when the cap was lower. If Goligoski puts up the numbers he's projected to put up, he's going to get paid. They'd be smarter to go long-term with him and pay a little more now than try to go year by year with him and pay a lot more later. Goligoski signed his entry level contract under pre-lockout rules. Just giving him a qualifying offer would cost over a million regardless of what he's done. Add in a solid amount of points and he's getting paid. He's already 23. This is one of the problems with a guy going to college as opposed to playing in the CHL. By the time he finishes his rookie year, his entry level deal is already up and he's in line to get a multi-year deal. Letang, on the other hand, will have three seasons under his belt by the time his entry level deal is up.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
WildKaper wrote:Letang will be this team's #1 defenseman in a couple years -- bookmark it. His game is about as complete as we have seen since Larry Murphy (although he has a long way to go before we can compare him to Murf).

Goligoski will be #2. A close #2, but #2 regardless. I see him looking more like a Coffee type defenseman, better offensive than defensive. Him a Letang will make a wicked 1/2 combination in a couple years.

Whitney will be gone. A big defenseman who can't skate and refuses to be physical (aren't there 100 of these guys out there today). He is Souray, without the shot, and without the testicular fortitude.

hey. anyone know where the term 'testicular fortitude' came from or how it became popular?

Mick Foley in the WWF used that line a few times several years back and that was the first I had ever heard of it :D

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Whitney got a six year, $4 million per deal after two seasons. And that was when the cap was lower. If Goligoski puts up the numbers he's projected to put up, he's going to get paid. They'd be smarter to go long-term with him and pay a little more now than try to go year by year with him and pay a lot more later. Goligoski signed his entry level contract under pre-lockout rules. Just giving him a qualifying offer would cost over a million regardless of what he's done. Add in a solid amount of points and he's getting paid. He's already 23. This is one of the problems with a guy going to college as opposed to playing in the CHL. By the time he finishes his rookie year, his entry level deal is already up and he's in line to get a multi-year deal. Letang, on the other hand, will have three seasons under his belt by the time his entry level deal is up.

Which makes Gogo all the more attractive to trade to get a top 6 winger, if need be.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Noise on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It's easy, Goligoski is scoring goals, Letang isn't. One you don't have to look too deeply to notice, the other you do. I'm thrilled with Goligoski's production on the PP given the injuries on D. I think he has awesome offensive potential. I think Letang's been the better defenseman. He's pretty much doing it all - hitting, taking hits, blocking shots, moving the puck. He has the same number of points as Goligoski and most of them are ES. The bottom line is they're two good young defenseman that have great two-way potential and should be a big part of this blue line for years to come.

I agree with whoever said Whitney has the most potential of them all. It's true. He's got the size that those two lack - and no, size is not just about hitting. He's got Letang's passing, he's got Goligoski's offensive instincts, and he's a big guy. His upside is the greatest. I'll never understand how people think it'd be a good idea to dump him and extend Gonchar. Whitney's contract is going to be a steal, and he's on the upswing. I like Gonchar, but you have to go with youth if you have to choose between the two. Sometimes, you have to let guys go - that's just the reality of sports these days.

Well, I'd like to keep everyone, but we can't. Gonchar seems to be the most obvious because of his contract size, age, and value, and the amount of offensive ability from the blue line, but if he won't waive his NTC, who's leaving?

I don't know, we'll see what Shero works out next summer.

I think if one of Staal, Whitney, or Goligoski goes, it will be lamented later.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Yeah, I don't quite get it. But too many people are impressed solely by offensive numbers. Goligoski has indeed shown more offense this season than Letang has, and he might well end up being a better offensive defenseman. But I seriously doubt he'll be a better all-around defenseman than Letang. Letang does lots of little things that tend to go unnoticed. But there is a reason he's leading the defensemen in ice time, and that's because the coaches notice. His all-around game is at this point far superior to Goligoski's.
I agree, he's farther along the curve to being a solid top 4 and likely a top two than GoGo.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Whitney got a six year, $4 million per deal after two seasons. And that was when the cap was lower. If Goligoski puts up the numbers he's projected to put up, he's going to get paid. They'd be smarter to go long-term with him and pay a little more now than try to go year by year with him and pay a lot more later. Goligoski signed his entry level contract under pre-lockout rules. Just giving him a qualifying offer would cost over a million regardless of what he's done. Add in a solid amount of points and he's getting paid. He's already 23. This is one of the problems with a guy going to college as opposed to playing in the CHL. By the time he finishes his rookie year, his entry level deal is already up and he's in line to get a multi-year deal. Letang, on the other hand, will have three seasons under his belt by the time his entry level deal is up.
I say trade him early with a high value, don't even tempt the devil with a contract offer. I don't see the same game or top end in GoGo that exists in Letang. But what the heck, it's my opinion.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins