Mark Eaton

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Mark Eaton

Postby npv708 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I am amazed at the fact that it seems Mark Eaton has become the whipping boy for lgp.com for this season. Granted he is not to his usual block every shot form that he had been pre-Injury, but him at 50% blocking shots is still better than Gill at 100 %. I mentioned it earlier, last year Eaton was receiving top dman minutes playing alongside Sergei Gonchar (an All-Star), but this year has been paired on the 3rd d pairing with Goligoski (a Rookie). Does everyone here honestly expect him to be able to play the same exact type of game that he was able to with Sarge? Gonchar took a while to become as defensively sound as he was last year, but Gogo is nowhere close to that right now, as he is often found out of position or attempting to recover. Its a learning process that he will get eventually. This has completely thrown Eaton off of his usual game as he is not able to be a true stay at home since he has to cover more for his partner. If anyone has payed attention to the last few games, Eaton has blocked a ton of shots and has not been out of position often. Also he has been pinching in and has been amazing at keeping the puck in the zone, unlike some other people who won't be named (BROOKS). The only mistake that was extremely visible throughout the entire game was the one point where he failed to keep the puck in during the Buffalo game. Lets hear all your other complaints, praises, and whatnot, but I think this thread should be used to keep track of how Eaton actually does during the game, ie blocked shots and whatnot.

Rant done.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Mark Eaton

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm

He also blew his assingment on the goal in the Buffalo game. He's not 100% to blame on that, but it's largely his fault - back to the puck carrier, poor positioning.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 pm

He's had several bad games, so at least it makes more sense than the people trying to argue that Letang is bad.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby icecats30 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm

there is more to playing good defense than blocking shots... if he was paid to block shots all the time he'd be called a goalie, not a defenseman
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:15 pm

icecats30 wrote:there is more to playing good defense than blocking shots... if he was paid to block shots all the time he'd be called a goalie, not a defenseman

When he's healthy and has confidence, hes the penguins' best positional defender. Thats where those blocked shots come from.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby icecats30 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
icecats30 wrote:there is more to playing good defense than blocking shots... if he was paid to block shots all the time he'd be called a goalie, not a defenseman

When he's healthy and has confidence, hes the penguins' best positional defender. Thats where those blocked shots come from.

i agree.. but having 4 or 5 or 6 blocked shots a game doesnt make up for the turnovers or lack of speed.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Mark Eaton is a solid defensemen. When he is on his game, he's good positionally and is a great shot blocker. However, for being labeled an offensive defensemen earlier in his career, those talents have vanished. He's also as soft as Charmin. A lot of what he brought to the team, Scuderi is doing and doing better now.

With how the rest of the defense has progressed, he has pretty much lost his spot in the starting line-up. Brooks Orpik has become the defensemen he was supposed to be and he's killing penalties now. Kris Letang is quickly becoming one of the most complete defensemen on the team, and he's being rewarded with a lot of ice-time. Rob Scuderi is doing his thing, as is Alex Goligoski. Now add Phillipe Boucher to the mix, who has good size and good offensive instincts but can take care of business in your own end. It comes down to him or Hal Gil, and Gil gets the nod because he's the only defensemen other than Orpik who is good at clearing out the front of the net. Throw in Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar and forget about it.

You want to know who the older guy who will be moved next year because he lost his spot on this team, it's Mark Eaton.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Scuderi >>>>> Eaton

We do not need two Scuderis, and even if we did, Eaton is not as good. I think that Shero is in love with him, or he wouldn't even have been re-signed. He is not physical, he can't shoot, can't pass and so far in his return cannot skate. His positioning will get better. Yes, he blocks shots. For my money, Sydor was much better when he took Eaton's spot - and now Boucher should as well.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:30 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Scuderi >>>>> Eaton

We do not need two Scuderis, and even if we did, Eaton is not as good. I think that Shero is in love with him, or he wouldn't even have been re-signed. He is not physical, he can't shoot, can't pass and so far in his return cannot skate. His positioning will get better. Yes, he blocks shots. For my money, Sydor was much better when he took Eaton's spot - and now Boucher should as well.

At the time, Mark Eaton needed to be retained. You didn't know how Scuderi was going to progress. The fact that he took his game up another notch is great.

They're going to need to move Eaton in the off season to free up that money to re-sign Scuderi.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:32 pm

If Eaton doesn't go back to healthy form and then stay healthy, they should try to move him. If he does, then there is no need for Scuderi, because he isn't doing anything Eaton wasn't when he was healthy, and will more likely than not be offered more than Eaton's contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:34 pm

If Eaton is all we have to complain about this year, I'll take it...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:36 pm

KARMA NOTE
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Scuderi = Eaton. Eaton will be fine. He's not that old. It's hard to believe he's just lost it. He has, however, missed a ton of time the last two years and needs to shake the rust off. It's not an issue of Eaton and Scuderi and Gill and Sydor and whoever. Eaton is signed to what will be a bargain deal through next season. The other guys aren't. Scuderi will get more than $2 million as a UFA. Eaton will serve his purpose.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Scuderi = Eaton. Eaton will be fine. He's not that old. It's hard to believe he's just lost it. He has, however, missed a ton of time the last two years and needs to shake the rust off. It's not an issue of Eaton and Scuderi and Gill and Sydor and whoever. Eaton is signed to what will be a bargain deal through next season. The other guys aren't. Scuderi will get more than $2 million as a UFA. Eaton will serve his purpose.

I agree, I just like Scuderi more than Eaton. He fits in well with the young guys and he's a bit more physical. Plus, there is a reason he was given the "A" this month. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the scud missile.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby midd on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Wow, are people actually admitting they were wrong about Scuderi?? A few years ago everyone was bashing Scuds and Melichar I don't think Scuds game has changed all that much. He may have improved in his positioning but he has always been a decent defensive defenseman. Its nice to see Scuderi get his props.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 pm

midd wrote:Wow, are people actually admitting they were wrong about Scuderi?? A few years ago everyone was bashing Scuds and Melichar I don't think Scuds game has changed all that much. He may have improved in his positioning but he has always been a decent defensive defenseman. Its nice to see Scuderi get his props.

I was never bashing either of them. They were clones a couple years ago and each looked good when they weren't on the same pairing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm

midd wrote:Wow, are people actually admitting they were wrong about Scuderi?? A few years ago everyone was bashing Scuds and Melichar I don't think Scuds game has changed all that much. He may have improved in his positioning but he has always been a decent defensive defenseman. Its nice to see Scuderi get his props.

I'm with you. I liked him even when people hated him and I don't think his game has changed radically. He's gotten better, as he should. He had only played a year or two in the NHL at that time. I don't think people are really admitting they're wrong. A lot of people seem to be convinced that he's a significantly different player. I don't see it. I think he went from decent to good, which is the progression you'd like to see a player make with more experience.

But like I've said in other discussions, I never thought Melichar was horrible either. It seems to me that a defensive defenseman is either perceived to be really good or really bad. Scuderi's in the former at the moment, Eaton is the latter.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm

If you can't see how Scud's game has changed, then you must not be watching the same games that I am.

He has really come into his own within the last year and a half. Most specifically with the way he handles the puck.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Eaton is fine, and a solid signing by Shero. It's a good problem to have, this many defenseman.

I posted this in another thread - we almost needed to use Gogo in the cup finals - Shero isn't going to be faced with that again if he can help it. (having to turn to a defensman with almost zero NHL experience in the playoffs)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Kicksave wrote:

If you can't see how Scud's game has changed, then you must not be watching the same games that I am.

He has really come into his own within the last year and a half. Most specifically with the way he handles the puck.

I agree. At the end of the season, a couple years ago - the pens basically needed to choose between Melichar and Scuds. Easy decision - one had upside, and one had peaked. Scuds definitely has improved - and is an asset on the PK with Gill.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Meh.

I like Eaton but he has not been as solid this season as he has in the past. Yes, he's blocking a lot of shots but he's also not making good decisions at times. And as someone else already mentioned, he was responsible for the one goal in the Buffalo game.

Unlike some though, I'm not ready to run him out of town - I'm hoping he'll re-gain his form with time - but he hasn't been great and I think he's avoided a lot of criticism because so many fans like him.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Kicksave wrote:

..and his physicality. he takes the body so much better than in the days of scudichar.

he turned into a completely different player before last season. and like i've said...the hardest thing a penguin can do is redeem himself in the eyes of the LGP majority. he was despised 2 years ago and appreciated last year. if he didn't improve his game, then why is he the 1st guy ever in LGP history for people to all of the sudden just "come around on". he was young. he improved. he got into better shape. it ain't a conspiracy.

...but yeah. eaton is a fine 5-6 and a great 7.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Kicksave wrote:

Totally agree. Anyone who liked Scuderi's game two seasons ago must have liked seeing a guy get rag dolled in the corners and in front of the net while getting beaten one on one and committing turnover after turnover.

To hold the fact that someone can recognize the MASSIVE improvement in his game against them is ridiculous. He's solid and he eats minutes now. That is the best he will ever be, but it is pretty good.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

Totally agree. Anyone who liked Scuderi's game two seasons ago must have liked seeing a guy get rag dolled in the corners and in front of the net while getting beaten one on one and committing turnover after turnover.

To hold the fact that someone can recognize the MASSIVE improvement in his game against them is ridiculous. He's solid and he eats minutes now. That is the best he will ever be, but it is pretty good.

Pretty good and so important for a team struggling from injuries. Clutch, in fact. Worth being re-signed.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby midd on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:59 pm

You totally missed my point. It is so easy to criticize (even if its deserved) a player. However, when the player is playing "the way he should be" he is somewhat forgotten about. I seemed to recall many a people here and on the other site saying Melichar and Scuderi had to go. I said one of them would stay because neither of their salaries was a huge cap hit. Its fortunate for the Pens that they kept Scuderi. And again its nice to see people praise a guy who doesn't put up a whole lot of stats.

The Snapshot wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins