Mark Eaton

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Mark Eaton

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 am

He's been getting outplayed.

When he's at the top of his game, he's like a second goalie in the defensive zone, but he still is a huge liability with the puck. It's fine and dandy that he's good defensively, but the way he carries and passes the puck limits the breakout and creates more neutral zone and gray area turnovers. And when he's not at the top of his game- those aspects of him become really glaring.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RusPenMario on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:38 am

What do you fans think of sending Eaton to Ottawa for Vermette? It seems Sens are looking for a D and could make Vermette as a part of a deal.

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/verme ... 85421.html
RusPenMario

Postby bh on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:41 am

RusPenMario wrote:What do you fans think of sending Eaton to Ottawa for Vermette? It seems Sens are looking for a D and could make Vermette as a part of a deal.

That would be a great trade. Not sure Ottawa would go for it though. Vermette would look good with Sid and Miro. He's the type of player I really like. His stats this year a bad but so is the rest of the Sens. I think he would thrive here under MT's system.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:38 am

bh wrote:
RusPenMario wrote:What do you fans think of sending Eaton to Ottawa for Vermette? It seems Sens are looking for a D and could make Vermette as a part of a deal.

That would be a great trade. Not sure Ottawa would go for it though. Vermette would look good with Sid and Miro. He's the type of player I really like. His stats this year a bad but so is the rest of the Sens. I think he would thrive here under MT's system.

It would probably take either Gogo or Letang to get Vermette. Ottawa believes Vermette has a lot of potential.

I'd like to pick up Vermette if the price is right. I don't know if I'd send Gogo or Letang. Maybe I'd consider Whitney, but the Sens aren't going to do that deal unless they are sure Whits is 100%.

I think a change of scenery would do Vermette good too. Does anyone know how much Vermette makes and how long he is signed for?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:43 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
bh wrote:

It would probably take either Gogo or Letang to get Vermette. Ottawa believes Vermette has a lot of potential.

I'd like to pick up Vermette if the price is right. I don't know if I'd send Gogo or Letang. Maybe I'd consider Whitney, but the Sens aren't going to do that deal unless they are sure Whits is 100%.

I think a change of scenery would do Vermette good too. Does anyone know how much Vermette makes and how long he is signed for?

I think it was like 2 years for 5.5 mil coming into the season.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RusPenMario on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:32 pm

His salary for this season is 2,525m, then 3m, then he becomes UFA

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0809
RusPenMario

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
bh wrote:

You'd trade Whitney before you'd trade Gologoski or Letang? What?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:42 pm

If Gonchar is playing before the deadline, I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt. His value will still be rather high, but I don't think he'll be skating by then unfortunately, plus I'd hate to see Gonch go. But for me, I think Gill has got to go. He is just bad.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:57 pm

SOLD...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:He's had several bad games, so at least it makes more sense than the people trying to argue that Letang is bad.

With Eaton, you typically know what you are getting. Letang is more of an enigma. I thought he would be more of a goal scorer by now. Once a player gets about 100 NHL games under his belt, you start to get a feel for who he is and what he brings. But Letang's defensive play (although shoddy at times) is much better than I thought it would be when he first arrived.

And it is obvious that Eaton cannot get the push or the jump with that bad leg just yet. He may never regain it 100%. That is why Shero should never paid so much for him. He has rarely been 100% in his CAREER, let alone in his tenure in the Burgh. At his pricetag, there may not be many takers, either.

Eaton has not played horribly, but wow, 4.5 mil for him and Sydor. Ouch.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Letang's offensive numbers aren't where people might expect them to be because he's been asked to play a more responsible game and make sure his own end is taken care of first.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 pm

I have no problem with the offense Letang is putting up. He rarely plays on the top power play unit. Yet, you see the talent that he has. He will continue to get better...I like his game a lot...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 pm

As somebody said before in another thread, Letang just didn't lose his offensive prowess to score goals. I believe he's been scaled back and was told to focus more on the defensive side of the game. This team needs somebody to take some of the important defensive minutes that Gonchar left behind, and Letang has stepped up admirably. He leads all defensemen in ice-time so far this season.

In time, he'll learn to balance his new found defensive prowess with his offensive skills. You have to remember, the kid is only 21 and defense is one of the hardest positions to jump into at a young age, especially if you're playing the amount of minutes Letang is getting right now.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Kicksave wrote:As somebody said before in another thread, Letang just didn't lose his offensive prowess to score goals. I believe he's been scaled back and was told to focus more on the defensive side of the game. This team needs somebody to take some of the important defensive minutes that Gonchar left behind, and Letang has stepped up admirably. He leads all defensemen in ice-time so far this season.

In time, he'll learn to balance his new found defensive prowess with his offensive skills. You have to remember, the kid is only 21 and defense is one of the hardest positions to jump into at a young age, especially if you're playing the amount of minutes Letang is getting right now.

I agree he is focusing on defense (and rightfully so when your team leads the league in goals for).

But even in the shootouts, he appears to have lost a little confidence (he has the Jordan Staal "worried/frozen" look of last season).

But like Staal, Letang will be a very fine player REALLY soon. Patience is the key with Letang.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
bh wrote: That would be a great trade. Not sure Ottawa would go for it though. Vermette would look good with Sid and Miro. He's the type of player I really like. His stats this year a bad but so is the rest of the Sens. I think he would thrive here under MT's system.

Whits hasn't exactly been very consistent, but he does have the most experience and is signed long term for a good price, which makes him even more attractive. If he is involved in a deal, I'd expect to receive more than Vermette in the deal.

I like Letang's and Gologoski's potential. I know what I'm going to get from Whits, but the chance of Letang or Gogo becoming scary good makes me hesistant to trade them, if that makes sense.

Out of Whits, Gogo, and Letang, who would you trade and why?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:20 pm

I think a change of scenery would do Vermette good too. Does anyone know how much Vermette makes and how long he is signed for?[/quote]

You'd trade Whitney before you'd trade Gologoski or Letang? What?[/quote]

Whits hasn't exactly been very consistent, but he does have the most experience and is signed long term for a good price, which makes him even more attractive. If he is involved in a deal, I'd expect to receive more than Vermette in the deal.

I like Letang's and Gologoski's potential. I know what I'm going to get from Whits, but the chance of Letang or Gogo becoming scary good makes me hesistant to trade them, if that makes sense.

Out of Whits, Gogo, and Letang, who would you trade and why?[/quote]

I'm not sure that you have to trade any of them...Mobile, young d are hard to come by...I would just sign a free agent wing or 2...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 pm

not my WB... but hes being outplayed by 5 other DMen.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

npv708 wrote:If Gonchar is playing before the deadline, I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt. His value will still be rather high, but I don't think he'll be skating by then unfortunately, plus I'd hate to see Gonch go. But for me, I think Gill has got to go. He is just bad.

If Gonchar is back by the deadline, I'd be surprised if two of Scuderi, Gill, and Eaton aren't moved. At that point the Pens would have 9 NHL caliber d-men with Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, and Letang being locks to play every night. That leaves two spots for Boucher, Goligoski, Eaton, Scuderi, and Gill to fight for. IMO Gogo and Boucher will end up as the 5 and 6, so Gill and Scuds are both probably gone since Eaton is signed for next year at a below market rate and whichever of these 3 they keep will be just a depth guy/healthy scratch for the rest of the year. Boucher has the most skill out of our guys who will be UFAs this summer, so he'll probably be here for the playoffs and I think RS may be hoping that he'll like the situation here in Pittsburgh enough to resign at a reduced price.

A top 6 of

Gonchar-Orpik
Whitney-Letang
Boucher-Goligoski

would change the Pen's greatest problems from the Stanley Cup Finals last year, a quick transition game and the ability to make a quality outlet pass from their own zone, into one of their strength's.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Senka wrote:not my WB... but hes being outplayed by 5 other DMen.

Eaton is perhaps the smartest hockey player on the team. It's a sure bet that he is not 100% yet. If he were, his positioning would not be off like it has been. It's almost as if he cannot "get to the spot" as quickly, especially late on shifts.

Only time will heal that, and we all must hope that he can regain 100% of his strength back.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Whits hasn't exactly been very consistent, but he does have the most experience and is signed long term for a good price, which makes him even more attractive. If he is involved in a deal, I'd expect to receive more than Vermette in the deal.

I probably wouldn't trade any of them unless it was for a young dynamic winger with at least 1 year left on his entry level deal. If I learned anything from the the SCF last year it was that you absolutely need d-men that can make that quick first pass out of your own zone to start the counter attack and are composed with the puck on their stick. Sid and Geno are guys that can really expose another team's defense if you can get them the puck when they are in full stride. When the Pen's transition game is working and our centers have time and space they are unstoppable, Sid and Geno's speed and vision is good enough to make average wingers look great but only when the defensemen are able to start the counter attack quickly. We saw this last year in the finals with Scuds, Gill, Sydor, and Orpik, they can't make that pass and the other team's forwards are given the extra time to get back in position. The Pens are lucky enough to have 3 of these type of defensemen and I wouldn't want to lose them for anything less than a package that would make it a steal for the Pens.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I'd like to pick up Vermette if the price is right. I don't know if I'd send Gogo or Letang. Maybe I'd consider Whitney, but the Sens aren't going to do that deal unless they are sure Whits is 100%.

But you don't know what you're getting from Whitney. He had a great breakout season, then apparently was playing with some sort of half-gimped foot for the whole of last season. And he still managed to get it all together come playoff time. He too is still fairly young and coming into his own. I hope he manages to get back up to speed very soon, and expect big things out of him next season for sure.

And to your question, I'd keep all 3. If trading Gonchar meant locking up Whitney, Gogo, and Letang long term, I'd do it (I'd like to see Shero try to keep them all. The more offensive D-men this age, the better). Not taking anything away from Gonch, because he was indeed Norris worthy last season, but the team has proven that they can get by without him, and surgery at an older age is always dicey. Plus he'd most likely net the greatest return out of any of those guys if traded (except for maybe Whitney, but that's becuase his deal is great and is why he won't be going anywhere).

I think ideal scenario going forward, even if it isn't completely realistic, is to have Gonch, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Scuderi, and Gologoski be the Top-6.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:34 pm

meecrofilm wrote:But you don't know what you're getting from Whitney. He had a great breakout season, then apparently was playing with some sort of half-gimped foot for the whole of last season. And he still managed to get it all together come playoff time. He too is still fairly young and coming into his own. I hope he manages to get back up to speed very soon, and expect big things out of him next season for sure.

And to your question, I'd keep all 3. If trading Gonchar meant locking up Whitney, Gogo, and Letang long term, I'd do it (I'd like to see Shero try to keep them all. The more offensive D-men this age, the better). Not taking anything away from Gonch, because he was indeed Norris worthy last season, but the team has proven that they can get by without him, and surgery at an older age is always dicey. Plus he'd most likely net the greatest return out of any of those guys if traded (except for maybe Whitney, but that's becuase his deal is great and is why he won't be going anywhere).

I think ideal scenario going forward, even if it isn't completely realistic, is to have Gonch, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, Scuderi, and Gologoski be the Top-6.

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Gonchar has a no trade clause in his contract so he probably won't be going anywhere.
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Let me put it this way. Whatever happens..whether its our favorites or not.

In shero we trust.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:37 pm

I would like to keep all three.

But if you had to trade one to get a young dynamic winger that would give Crosby/ Malkin someone who they could play with long term, who would you trade? For Vermette, I don't think the Sens would take just Gogo. They would want someone else too. They would probably take Whits or Letang straight up for Vermette, I'd want more than just Vermette in return.

If you take Vermette out of the equation, who would land a young dynamic winger?

I'm not sure if trading Gonchar would. Maybe if the trade involves Tampa or Atlanta, but I think that most GMs are putting an emphasis on youth, and only look to add veterans during free agency or at the trade deadline to get them over the hump.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Given the obscenely low amount of time Eaton has played the last two seasons I'd like to see some time before I pass final judgment. It's a crowded blue line, to be sure, but I think he could fit into the top 6. I'd think its going to be one of the offensive d-men that goes, there's four of them and personally I like the o-man paired with a d-man formula. Either Gonchar if he waives his NTC or one of Gogo and Letang, just because they're very very similar players. My thought is the younger they can keep the team the better, so I'd like to see either Gonch take a serious paycut or leave, as much as it would hurt the powerplay in the short term.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins