Why all the Powder Blue Hate 'round here

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why all the Powder Blue Hate 'round here

Postby pinboy87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:03 pm

I, for one, hope that the Pens don't go back to the powder blues full-time, but I really like them. I hope that they keep them around as a third jersey.

I created this thread because, as a professional direct marketer, I can't figure out why there seems to be such a backlash from the "core" fan base over the PB's. The PB's really are a very nice design - and from a sales perspective they are like printing money. I am curious to hear from other "core" fans why they don't like the PB's.

Consider this thread a focus group. Or just ignore it altogether and let it fall down the page.
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Why all the Powder Blue Hate 'round here

Postby Soon5one4 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm not sure I've seen any backlash. The only time you get arguments are when people start discussing moving to them full time. Take a look at the game last Saturday, or tonight, and you'll see that "core" fan base is about 50% decked out in powder blue. I"m sure you'd see even more if everyone could afford a new jersey.
Soon5one4
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Why do we need upwards of three threads with the same discussion?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:11 pm

I love the Blues. I agree with what was posted above. People are for the most part fine with them, but are just afraid of seeing them replace the black and gold. And I just don't think that's gonna happen -- not if the team has close ties and influence from the fan base like they do.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pinboy87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:11 pm

nocera wrote:Why do we need upwards of three threads with the same discussion?

My goal with this thread was to provide a singular place for the discussion. Most of what I read in the other threads are knee-jerk reactions - either for or against. I was curious WHY there are some fans that don't like the PB's

As I said in the opening post - if you aren't interested in the thread, let it fall down the page.
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pinboy87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:15 pm

hyde wrote:Personally, I love the powder blues. I think they are the cleanest jersey in any sport. I think there is a backlash for "core" fans because I think they associate the blues with the bandwagon jumpers and there is still a hostility between life-long fans and the more recent fans who are just learning the game. Just my humble opinion.

This was my initial thought.
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby beerman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm

I do like the look of them for the most part, but my big thing is that I don't want them to replace the black and gold. Therefore I won't buy a third jersey unless I know for sure that it won't become anything more than the 3rd.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ivand87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm

I personally love them and if it was up to me I'd probably have those jerseys become our full-time jerseys, but maybe find a way to add some more black and gold to them. I don't think the logo is enough.

But I'd be OK if they kept them as our 3rds. I'd probably be OK with the Pens going back to black and gold too.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:47 pm

I've never liked any sports jerseys that are that color, but there are two additional reasons for my particular dislike of these specific jerseys:

1. When the Pens originally wore them (which was well before my time), they just weren't that good. This jersey represents mediocrity to me.
2. They aren't the Cup-era jerseys, which I've always wanted back since they were ditched. I don't think anything they've worn since is even close to as good as those were, even factoring out the franchise was at the pinnacle of it's success (to this point, anyway) when they were worn.

The odd thing is, that despite the above, I thought they worked quite well at the Winter Classic. I guess it was the outdoor setting with the snow falling.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Pittsburgh is a Black and Gold city.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pinboy87 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm

netwolf wrote:I've never liked any sports jerseys that are that color, but there are two additional reasons for my particular dislike of these specific jerseys:

1. When the Pens originally wore them (which was well before my time), they just weren't that good. This jersey represents mediocrity to me.
2. They aren't the Cup-era jerseys, which I've always wanted back since they were ditched. I don't think anything they've worn since is even close to as good as those were, even factoring out the franchise was at the pinnacle of it's success (to this point, anyway) when they were worn.

The odd thing is, that despite the above, I thought they worked quite well at the Winter Classic. I guess it was the outdoor setting with the snow falling.

Hard to argue with anything you have said here.
The PB's don't represent mediocrity to me because I have only been a fan since 1995-ish, but I can def understand that perspective.
Hard to argue with the Cup-era jerseys, they were pretty sweet.
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Being a Penguin fan since 1967, for me the powder blue jerseys represent one thing only: a tradition of losing.

As if that weren't enough, I would add the following:

1. Pittsburgh is a gritty town, which the colors black and gold represent well

2. Powder blue is a wimpy color. What hockey team is going to be afraid of opponents coming on to the ice in powder blue uniforms?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Another thing I forgot is the crest. I've never been a fan of jerseys with the city and/or team name spelled out on (or in place of) the crest.

All that said, it's not like I don't watch when they wear them or I'll be dropping my season tickets over it. I'm just not buying a jersey. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jfitz22 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm

I've been a diehard Pens fan since 1980(grandfather took me to first game against the Islanders, Bossy became my fav player...jfitz22, 22=Bossy)It's not that I hate them, the Pens had there most succesful times wearing black and gold. Division Championships: 1990-91, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1997-98, 2007-08. Conference Championships: 1990-91, 1991-92, 2007-08. Stanley Cups: 1990-91, 1991-92. All of these were under the colors of Black and Gold. People forget or don't know that the Pittsburgh Pirates Hockey Club(NHL 1925 - 1929)(nhluniforms.com) were in fact the First Pgh team to wear Black and Gold. The Pirates wore red and white at that time and the Steelers weren't born until 1933. My wish is that when they move into the new barn that they go back to the SC winning uni's(yellow gold and all)(nhluniforms.com Pgh Penguins 1990-1991, 1991 - 1992)
jfitz22

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't much like the blue jerseys. I mean its a cool throwback and all, but full time? No way. Bad idea.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm

I like them, but in moderation...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:22 pm

I don't mind them that much, I just hope they never go to them full time.

It's nice as the "in" thing right now, and it's making the NHL tons of money, but I just don't want them as permanant.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jfitz22 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 pm

I know another reason not to like the powder blue. Now grant it he might not be here long but my wife and I were watching the game and she found it funny that #81 SATAN looked like a pansy in powder blue. I'm going to hell anyway but IF I ever meet the real SATAN there, I highly doubt he'll be in powder blue....LOL!!!
jfitz22

Postby wallflower on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:I like them, but in moderation...

And I think that's how most fans feel (as evidenced by the poll on the official site).
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 pm

They're cool, but I think they're using them way too much this season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm

wallflower wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I like them, but in moderation...

And I think that's how most fans feel (as evidenced by the poll on the official site).

I was going to mention that, but didn't because I thought I'd spur the pro-blue crowd to head over and skew the numbers. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Easton on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 pm

I don't mind them, but they don't look as good as when they wore them in the outdoor game. I thought they looked great in that atmosphere, but inside the rink? Not so much.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Am I just allowed to not like them? Is that ok from a marketing stand-point?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm

I'd love to see the powder blue full time at least until the regular black and tan unis are scrapped for the new arena.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

I'm one of a very small minority that hates them, I don't know where you've seen "all the Powder Blue Hate"

EDIT: Also, now that I read that initial post. The marketing perspective and "printing money" comment is another reason I hate them. They were made just to be as different as possible so people would buy them. Note how many other teams have relatively similar jerseys to their regulars, they'll get a boost in sales, but its not a completely different product.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins