Why all the Powder Blue Hate 'round here

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why all the Powder Blue Hate 'round here

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm guessing if they brought one of the Cup jerseys back as an alternate, they'd be selling just as well as the blue ones. I can't prove that's true, but no one can prove it isn't either. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm

netwolf wrote:I'm guessing if they brought one of the Cup jerseys back as an alternate, they'd be selling just as well as the blue ones. I can't prove that's true, but no one can prove it isn't either. :lol:

Id buy it
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 am

I'd probably find money for a couple. For now, I guess I'll stick with my vintage Francis #10.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 am

netwolf wrote:I'd probably find money for a couple. For now, I guess I'll stick with my vintage Francis #10.

I wear the vintage Bob Errey 12. Or Staal 11 or Malkin 87
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby socket on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 am

I'd be fine with anything other than the vegas gold and black. The "gold" they use now is hideous. I'd prefer the "cup era" jerseys but even the powder blue at least have the correct gold in the logo.

I like the layout of the regular jerseys better than the angular ones they used to have, so I guess they at least improved them a little.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 am

Powder blue is cute on small children. It does not denote strength or unity or invoke menace. This is a profesional hockey team, not a kindergarden class.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:57 am

netwolf wrote:I'd probably find money for a couple. For now, I guess I'll stick with my vintage Francis #10.

My #5 Samuelson Cup era jersey is what I mainly wear. Love it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:36 am

newarenanow wrote:

My #5 Samuelson Cup era jersey is what I mainly wear. Love it.

My Paul Coffey is a bit too small for me anymore
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:36 am

I seriously love the powder blues but no way should they become the new primary jerseys.

The pigeon logo is gone so now it's time for the tan to be replaced by the real Pittsburgh gold.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby suzinpgh on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 am

My Pens loyalty goes way back to the Blue & White days, but when I see how much Blue & White merchandise is at the souvenir stands, sporting goods stores, etc, I feel very "marketed to". And I really hate to feel "marketed to", almost as much as I hate the feeling of "being had". I can just envision the strategy being developed at the marketing meeting: how can we sell more Pens merchandise? Oooh, I know! A new third jersey, blue & white, but tweaked! Yeah, that's it! Brilliant! And we can also develop blue & white Santa hats, blue & white doggie coats, blue & white baby bibs, etc. Sorry Pens, but I am not buying this G. D. crap. I give you guys enough of my money as a STH, and whether or not I spend it on Pens merchandise is in no way related to my loyalty (deep rooted and unconditional) and support of this team. Please, Pens, go peddle your wares elsewhere, 'cause I ain't buying it. And remember folks, NHL merchandise revenue is still pooled by the league, and split evenly amongst the teams, IIRC. Let's just play some good hockey in black and gold.

Do you think that the Canadiens or the Bruins or the Wings sit around thinking about this stuff? One logo, one set of colors. Works for me.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bcPENS on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 am

I had absolutely no opinion on the PB jerseys until the first time they wore them this season. I was fine with them. They worked in the winter classic, but I have found once was enough for me.

My MAIN reason for not liking them is they are not familiar. We have all watched a hockey game and got distracted, then glanced back at the tv and found our team easily. It became as easy as breathing. When I tried to doing this with the Sabs-Pens game this year, I found myself following the Sabres for a split second (instead of the PB uni) and that absolutely drove me CRAZY!! I'm sure I will get used to it, but my mind has been made....not a fan of the PB....
bcPENS
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:31 am

After 2 games in a row with them, I'm sick of the powder blue already.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Jim wrote:Powder blue is cute on small children. It does not denote strength or unity or invoke menace. This is a profesional hockey team, not a kindergarden class.

Exactly.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:53 am

bcPENS wrote:My MAIN reason for not liking them is they are not familiar. We have all watched a hockey game and got distracted, then glanced back at the tv and found our team easily. It became as easy as breathing. When I tried to doing this with the Sabs-Pens game this year, I found myself following the Sabres for a split second (instead of the PB uni) and that absolutely drove me CRAZY!! I'm sure I will get used to it, but my mind has been made....not a fan of the PB....

When I saw #15 and #25 out there, I kept on thinking I was watching Steve Cardwell and Darryl Edestrand!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

1. I like the fact that we're the only city where all the sports teams have the same colors. I don't want to see that end.

2. I just plain don't like the color. I've never liked powder blue, period. The only color I like less is orange.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby ryan21081 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:54 pm

I liked the PB's for the Winter classic but I to do not like them as everyday jerseys. I agree that the PB jerseys are a reminder of losing. I feel exactly the same way about the steelers third jerseys. They were worn pre 1970 and it just makes me remember the fact that the Steelers only had 1 playoff appearance between 1933 and 1969. I often laugh at steeler fans who think they have "always been great" and are completely oblivious to how bad they where. The pens only took 24 years to win it all and the Steelers took 41. :)

I like the current uniforms but I wish there was one little change. Same setup only PGH yellow (Gold). btw tell the Pirates to ditch the red uni's.

On the bright side even if the PB's were permanant all 3 teams would still share all 3 colors. The Steelers have the Blue(pens), red(Pirates) and yellow stars in the logo... :) I would be pretty upset tho...
ryan21081
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I'm starting to dislike the powder blues more and more as they become more popular. When they wore them in the Winter Classic I loved them and was excited that they were bringing them on as a 3rd jersey. 11 games is a little to much for my taste though, and I would hate for them to become our full time unis. I just hope the popularity of them doesn't make the Pens throw out the black and gold.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bathgate on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 am

Like a few others on this board, I’ve followed the Pens from the beginning in 1967. I can echo those who say that the blue uniforms represent an era of losing and futility, and yes, a bankruptcy. Though there were some exciting moments, those teams of the late ‘60’s and the ‘70’s, were often populated by too many gutless wimps who would not compete in road games, especially in Philadelphia, St. Louis and the original-six cities (except Toronto). They usually got bullied and/or embarrassingly plastered in those cities.

There were essentially four uniform styles of the double-blue uniforms from 1967 to 1980. The current third jerseys were the 2nd style and were worn from 1968 to about 1973. In my opinion, they were the least attractive of the four. The ones worn in the mid-70’s were the nicest, so I wish they were using those as the throwback jerseys. The darks were a deeper, highly appealing blue with no white on the shoulders. The mid-70’s also saw the most on-ice success of the blue-uniform era.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby czwalga on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:11 am

newarenanow wrote:After 2 games in a row with them, I'm sick of the powder blue already.

+1, I like the standard pittsburgh colors. I'm on 3 adult league teams, i dont know why but all 3 (2 are the same jerseys) are powder blue and I hate the damn color. It's not intimidating at all, we look like a big bunch of fairies.

I wish they would go back to the 06-07 jerseys. I dont like the new RBK ones as much, they have a cookie cutter random gold patch splotch and that's it.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

I hope they paint the new arena baby blue.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Waffles on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 am

bringitonhome wrote:I hope they paint the new arena baby blue.

I hope they paint your next car baby blue.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:02 am

I hate the baby blues more today than I did yesterday when I posted.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 am

newarenanow wrote:I hate the baby blues more today than...yesterday.

But not as much...as tomorrow?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 am

Compared to jerseys like Ottawa's third, I say that the Pens third is rather tame.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby 71crush on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 am

I like the powder blue but dont want it to become full time. Its nice to see some color for a change instead of just black and white.(an tiny bit of vegas gold)
71crush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins