Why, Why does #87 have to shoot in every shootout?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why, Why does #87 have to shoot in every shootout?

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:52 pm

darkstar57 wrote:here is my theory.

Go back to the winter classic last year. It was the biggest game for the NHL in the US in years, they marketed the crud out of it. They forced both teams to make sure it went to a shootout , have a guy for each team score in the shootout to make it look like its not rigged. Then with the game on the line, in front of one of the biggest TV audiences for the NHL in years, you have your most marketed players come up with the game on line. BAM, he scores. Seriously, it like written by a hollywood writer. I though Michael Bay directed it all (then i realized there where no explosion. KABOOOMMMM)

So now the NHL forces MT to have crosby go last for dramatic reasons.

you know, now i realize Gary Bettman is in charge and he is not that smart, that is something David Stern would pull. IE the knicks winning the Ewning lottery

wat?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 pm

The day the NHL rigs a game is a the day it becomes one of the 4 major sports...In other words. Nobody cares enough about the NHL to rig anything..
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I think we should trade for Erik Christensen.

Nah, Brendan Shanahan. . . the shootout savior.

(*ducks for cover*)

dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:40 pm

1. Being a great hockey player doesn't mean you are great at parlour tricks. Therefore, MT shouldn't use Crosby all the time in those shootouts you all talk about, because Crosby isn't great at breakaways.

2. Deciding hockey games via a shootout is a joke and it makes the league a joke. You don't see extra-inning baseball games decided by home run derbies do you?

3. Due to #2, I don't care much about #1.

4. I'll take games decided by actually PLAYING THE SPORT rather than 1 hokey portion of the sport. And as such, I could care less if Sidney Crosby can't score very often on breakaways. He plays H O C K E Y better than 99% of the league. Except maybe Malkin.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:02 pm

it seems true though. not just the winter classic goal. i think he's scored most of his shootout goals when they really mattered. to tie it up or win. in fact, though i was discouraged to see crosby go third, i did think the same thing in my head. that he had a better shot at scoring since it was a determining goal.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

penmyst wrote:2. Deciding hockey games via a shootout is a joke and it makes the league a joke. You don't see extra-inning baseball games decided by home run derbies do you?

hahah. they should determine homefield advantage in the playoffs by seeing who has the fastest fastball.

haha, or whoever wins the allstar game. :D
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
penmyst wrote:2. Deciding hockey games via a shootout is a joke and it makes the league a joke. You don't see extra-inning baseball games decided by home run derbies do you?

hahah. they should determine homefield advantage in the playoffs by seeing who has the fastest fastball.

haha, or whoever wins the allstar game. :D

I don't see anything wrong with the shootout as long as the losing team gets a point. That way it's like both teams tie after overtime, so they both get a point, how it always is, but then there's the shootout for the extra point.

I do however don't agree with getting a point for losing in Overtime. Sure, it creates parity or whatever, but, if you lose playing hockey, then you shouldn't get any points (which is again why a point should be rewarded to the loser of the SO). Plus, get rid of the OT-loss point, and any ridiculous talk about awarded 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points for a OT win can stop. Ugh.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:18 pm

dagny wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I think we should trade for Erik Christensen.

Nah, Brendan Shanahan. . . the shootout savior.

(*ducks for cover*)

Morozov? :lol:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I do however don't agree with getting a point for losing in Overtime.

i do however don't agree in one sense though. haha. only good thing about getting a point for losing in OT is that the 4-4 is a little more reckless and open. and since you get to rest one extra player each shift, just go ahead and make it 10 minutes. i'd love to see more 4 on 4. the shootout...i could take or leave i guess
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins