Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:23 am

After watching Crosby last night, I have no doubt that he has a nagging injury or illness of some kind. Other than his spinning moves down low on a few shifts, he looked.... well.... like an average player? He just never seemed to hit high gear or show that ultra competitiveness that you come to expect from him.

I believe he is playing through an injury, likely the one that had him sit out recently.

Alternatively, Minny is so very good at smothering opponents, maybe I'm just not giving them the credit they deserve.

Here is a crazy thought. I'd make Crosby stay home in Pittsburgh. Make him skip the trip to Atlanta so he can be sharp for the Saturday afternoon match, rather than injured, tired and overplayed.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Waffles on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 am

I would like to think that he's injured, just from an explanation standpoint, but I think there's more to it than that. Not sure what exactly, just that there's something else.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stalazini on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 am

I was at the game last night and he looks like his laboring. I could be over speculating but he just seems "off" whether it is a injury or illness.
Stalazini

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:50 am

If bad no-look behind the back passes are any indecation... Crosby is in a really bad injury situation...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 am

There has to be something wrong with him because he is not the dominant player he has showed for 2.5 seasons. Something is holding him back from winning lose pucks and battling on the boards. His decision making stinks right now too. I agree that if he has something nagging him, hold him out of the atlanta game
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:10 am

something's not right this year. last night, i didn't have much faith that he was going to do the right thing when he had the puck. this is a weird feeling, especially late in the game. not that he isn't great, he's just not 100% himself.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CarlislePensFan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 am

First game in a long, long time that I do not remember something Sid did in the game that really stood out. Not good. This is definitely not the norm for Crosby.
CarlislePensFan

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 am

He's worried that this is Malkin's team now. LOL

I think there is something wrong with his hip...imo. I don't see the power that I usually see.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 am

Thought the same thing. Hopefully, just a cold/flu thing.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:52 am

At the game I thought Sidney was skating freely...he had one shot on goal, Evgeni had one shot on goal. Trapping Wild shut them down.
If you are looking at Sid for the highlight reel every game, you are going to miss all the other things he does to try to create offense. Sure he's human, and sure he would love to be 1/2 or 2/1 with Evgeni in scoring.
We'll never know about injuries, so I can 't say until he says.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mumbobob on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:57 am

The biggest indicator that something is off with his game for me is his entrances into the offensive zone. He's not driving to the net in the offensive end like he did when he was at his best. He's doing these pull-up turns inside the offensive blue line and looking for late help rather than carrying the puck down low and creating that way. I'm actually hoping it's a nagging injury of some kind rather than a shift in his game, because he's at his best in the high traffic areas around the net, not 5 feet inside the offensive blue line.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 am

spi wrote:There has to be something wrong with him because he is not the dominant player he has showed for 2.5 seasons. Something is holding him back from winning lose pucks and battling on the boards. His decision making stinks right now too. I agree that if he has something nagging him, hold him out of the atlanta game

Maybe teams have figured out his playing style? Also about the poor decision making i'd give that to Malkin with some of his passes lately.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Paekman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 am

spi wrote:There has to be something wrong with him because he is not the dominant player he has showed for 2.5 seasons. Something is holding him back from winning lose pucks and battling on the boards. His decision making stinks right now too. I agree that if he has something nagging him, hold him out of the atlanta game

I honestly believe that Sid puts a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure on himself. He's clearly not a happy-go-lucky guy. He's all about drive, passion and the will to win. There's nothing wrong with that, but sometimes you need to vent that steam and relax a little bit to be truly effective.

However, all of that can also really cause a ton of tension when Sid doesn't get chances to score, or gets robbed by a hot goaltender or hits a post, etc. When that tension starts to rise, Sid forces things. He forces bad passes, passes up great scoring chances, etc. Much like Staal, and I hope this doesn't get me flamed, I believe that Sid has a confidence problem right now.

The skill is still there and even when he's off of his game Sid is still a point-per-game player. It just seems like Sid doesn't have that characteristic smile as much when he's out on the ice nowadays and I tend to think that is causing him the most trouble.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 am

There were a few cases of him not backchecking as well.

So, there seems to be some agreement that "maybe" he's batttling something.

Does MT have the cojones to make Sid to sit a game?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:03 am

That bad last night, huh? I thought he was awesome again vs the Flyers. Then again he always is vs they Flyers :P but still...
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:09 am

Well, its pure speculation as the title says. He just did not appear to be himself. Down low behind the goal line, with the puck, he was spinning and twisting like he usually does, but with less success. He was separated from the puck almost easily, and with Crosby he'll lose, but there is usually a 2nd or 3rd attempt at winning it back. I didn't see this last night.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 am

There is no question that he has to be hurt. He looks like a completely different player than he normally is. He won't tell anyone about it either (just like when he played with a broken foot a couple years back). This is when you stop and ask yourself: How much of a luxury is it now to have another superstar on your roster, especially when one superstar is hurt?

Hopefully, he can regain his form, but he's so far off being the player we are used to seeing out on the ice.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:25 am

I put more of the lack of production on the Wild system. Luckily we don't play them 6 times a year, ugh...

Also, Satan/Talbot are not top line players...Not so easy to generate offense all the time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gage18 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:34 am

Crosby just hasn't looked the same since his rookie year if you ask me. What made him so special was how dynamic he was. He could pass and score. He was the best overall player in the game. I just don't see it now. He thinks too much when he is out there...Almost every goal he scores now is him picking up the trash...I think teams know how to play against him now too...They know all they have to do is stand him up on the blueline...
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 am

I think he will win the scoring title this year.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 am

Gage18 wrote:Crosby just hasn't looked the same since his rookie year if you ask me. What made him so special was how dynamic he was. He could pass and score. He was the best overall player in the game. I just don't see it now. He thinks too much when he is out there...Almost every goal he scores now is him picking up the trash...I think teams know how to play against him now too...They know all they have to do is stand him up on the blueline...

To re-fuel the Malkin vs. Crosby debate, the VS guys last night commented about how Geno scores from everywhere, while Sid can only score in close. Points are points, but thought that was pretty interesting re: your point.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:48 am

KG wrote:I put more of the lack of production on the Wild system. Luckily we don't play them 6 times a year, ugh...

Also, Satan/Talbot are not top line players...Not so easy to generate offense all the time...
I think it was more than the Wild. He was playing 'different'. Not sure quite how to describe it but I think most of it has to do with his skating. It's like he's lost a step. There were so many times where it looked like he could have got to the puck with ease but he didn't. It has to be lower body because the biggest change is in the skating, and his skating is what really set him apart in the league the last couple years.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm

He's upset that he's going to be traded for Malkin's winger.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:36 pm

mumbobob wrote:He's doing these pull-up turns inside the offensive blue line and looking for late help rather than carrying the puck down low and creating that way.

He's always done that. Malkin does that a lot too.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
mumbobob wrote:He's doing these pull-up turns inside the offensive blue line and looking for late help rather than carrying the puck down low and creating that way.

He's always done that. Malkin does that a lot too.

Loved the 3-dozen drop passes to MIN, too. Nice touch.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins