Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm

I don't think he's 100% either. He's usually good for at least one play per game that grabs your attention and has you wondering how he did it. I can't think of more than a handful of times that's happened this season. To his credit, he's fighting thought it and still contributing on the score sheet, but IMO, there's something going on that's impeding his skating/acceleration. The top end speed explosion he normally has isn't there right now.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mumbobob on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
mumbobob wrote:He's doing these pull-up turns inside the offensive blue line and looking for late help rather than carrying the puck down low and creating that way.

He's always done that. Malkin does that a lot too.

True, but before it was only part of his set of moves. Now it's become a lot more common for him. There seems to be a hesitancy for him to go hard toward the net like he did his first couple of seasons.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm

I still don't see it. Malkin didn't look like anything special last night either. Crosby obviously has some kind of injury but I doubt it's affecting him that much. Just two games ago he looked awesome against the Flyers. Last night was more a result of Minnesota's style of play in my opinion.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 pm

I was at the game last night as well and if Crosby's hurt, he's a great actor. He wasn't grimacing and he was going full speed at times.

He's making very POOR decisions. There were 3 or 4 times last night were he made drop or blind passes, especially one where he circled the net and passed it to no one.

Not sure what's wrong with him. If anything his confidence definitely isn't there.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Noun 1. arrested development - an abnormal state in which development has stopped prematurely

Crosby has not been the Penguins' go-to guy for awhile - since the time of his ankle injury (which is coming up on a full year ago btw.)

And Sid has not "driven to the net" since his first season, at least consistently.

This is not a criticism of him when I say this, but I think he may have hit some form of a ceiling. Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, and now Malkin all progressed beyond where Sid now is by their fourth season. Occasionally, Sid shows flashes of dominance (like every time they play Philly). But the greatest players can do it more regularly. Sid once made Andy Hilbert into a point-per-game player. He has not played a that level since.

Mark Messier would leave it all on the ice every game. That guy did whatever it took to score a goal. There is a price to pay if you want to score goals,especially if you don't have a cannon of a shot, which Sid does not have. He needs to pay that price, because there are whispers around the league that he is becoming a bust. I totally disagree with Semin's comments, but he said out loud what many players (and goaltenders) are saying in private.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 pm

He needs to pay that price, because there are whispers around the league that he is becoming a bust.

Oh please. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seeing that comment is enough to make me take a break from message boards for a while.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
He needs to pay that price, because there are whispers around the league that he is becoming a bust.

Oh please. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seeing that comment is enough to make me take a break from message boards for a while.

Honestly, that is the stupidest comment I've ever heard at these boards. And that's saying something -- I mean you had the Geno to LA crap, you've had the Crosby is adam oates crap - but this? This takes the cake.

I honestly can't say I see anything wrong with him. Against Philly he looked great, the game before that he looked great. The pucks aren't going in for him -- that doesn't mean he's not getting the chances. He may have some kind of injury, but it's not slowing him down that much.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:53 pm

And nobody noticed how Sid behaved when Malkin went off the ice? Unsure of the injury, probably speculating whether or not Gino would return, Sid went on a puck possession rampage to no avail.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Well then, what exactly were the announcers saying (in a very polite way) during last night's game?

They were saying that teams have learned how to defend him, and he has not been able to adjust to that. And for a player hyped as the next Gretzky, what other word would you use to describe it?

Is it an injury (like it was the last two playoffs?)
Is it a lack of confidence?
Is it his linemates?

Because if it is not any of the above three things, and you obviously reject my opinion that he has peaked, then hockey cannot be his primary concern right now. If he is the greatest player to ever lace up the skates and he has two more goals than Alex Gologoski, then he is not giving 100%.

He is the captain of an NHL team. He will continue to be called out when he underperforms. But all I said was the same thing the announcers said last night - except I didn't sugarcoat it.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mumbobob on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Wow. I mean, I see a bit of a shift in his play and things, but a bust? We're talking about a guy that's 2 years removed from a Hart and Art Ross, the youngest captain in the league, and 4th in the league in scoring. That's a bust? What does someone have to do to be a success these days?
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 pm

The thrashers defensive coverage~ none~ will be the perfect tonic for Sidney.

I shouldn't be shocked at how people turn on the players; with how Evgeni was torched from the cup finals after all he did in leading up to the finals...but I'm shocked. Everybody has an opinion, means as little or as much as my own. Not quite ready to lump Sidney in with Miilan Kraft.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:59 pm

He has a little rough start to a season, and everyone panics. It's classic. ;)
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

mumbobob wrote:Wow. I mean, I see a bit of a shift in his play and things, but a bust? We're talking about a guy that's 2 years removed from a Hart and Art Ross, the youngest captain in the league, and 4th in the league in scoring. That's a bust? What does someone have to do to be a success these days?

All I meant was that he is on pace for like 20 goals. The announcers said last night that, for all intents and purposes, he is not as dominant of a player as he was when he came into the league. At age 21, that just shouldn't be happening.

Now, granted, if he scores 20 goals and the Pens win the Cup, it would be fine by me. But if he scores 20 goals and follows it with a quiet playoff, how concerned should all of us be then?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

DocEmrick wrote:He has a little rough start to a season, and everyone panics. It's classic. ;)

It is pretty hilarious. I do agree that he doesn't look the same, and I noticed it before the Minnesota game (but excepting the Philly game) but I think it's just him getting a little shaken because he's on a bit of a cold streak. Once he hits the goals a few more or gets some good setups, he'll get his head back in the game and be fine.
Last edited by Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm

all i'm saying is, if enough people (myself included) saw the game last night and thought "it looks like something might be bothering sid" then maybe something might be bothering sid. who knows? he's still a great player, and even great players have off nights.
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm

Crosby practically had the same points per game rate as Ovechkin last year. He led the playoffs in scoring. He's a bust!
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby westside on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm

One loss and all this BS starts again... wow.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
mumbobob wrote:Wow. I mean, I see a bit of a shift in his play and things, but a bust? We're talking about a guy that's 2 years removed from a Hart and Art Ross, the youngest captain in the league, and 4th in the league in scoring. That's a bust? What does someone have to do to be a success these days?

All I meant was that he is on pace for like 20 goals. The announcers said last night that, for all intents and purposes, he is not as dominant of a player as he was when he came into the league. At age 21, that just shouldn't be happening.

Now, granted, if he scores 20 goals and the Pens win the Cup, it would be fine by me. But if he scores 20 goals and follows it with a quiet playoff, how concerned should all of us be then?

If he only scores 20 goals then I don't see them winning the cup anytime soon...Plus $8.7MM equals a lot more then 20 goals...

35-80-115 this year...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WildKaper on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm waiting for Mario to tell Crosby he signed him a right-handed left winger who is in the hall of fame and who can also take the odd faceoff :-)
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Dude, Crosby's on pace for 27.3 goals now. He hasn't been on pace for 19 goals for like five games now.

Just to reiterate.

Youngest 100 point scorer in NHL history.
Wins Art Ross, Hart, and Pearson in his second season.
Despite a major injury, plays at the same point pace as the scoring leader, then leads the playoffs in scoring in his third year in leading his team, as captain, to the Finals.

Uh, he's a bust?
Last edited by Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I'd say about 5. He is hurting 5.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WildKaper on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Maybe Crosby needs to go with Gino and Jordan to Diesel and score himself some yinzer pooty.
WildKaper
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

So then you would say Ovechkin is a bust too, yes? How about Zetterberg, since he only has 17 points this season.

As has been stated before - the 'on pace' crap is a bunch of ridiculous garbage at this point. It's 18 games into a season. 18. That's not even a quarter of the season yet, and you're talking as if he IS only going to score 20 goals. Did you know prior to the Philly game he was on pace for 19, then after the Philly game he was on pace for 31? That should show you how stupid it is to consider on pace anything.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Crosby practically had the same points per game rate as Ovechkin last year. He led the playoffs in scoring. He's a bust!

The first two months of his 2008-2009 season have been a bust. Superstars typically don't have back to back inconsistent months. The biggest mystery to me is how his scoring on the powerplay has dried up. He cold be injured, but he looks fluid, at least until the decision comes for him to pass or shoot. Lately, he has not made good decisions. He is not turning the puck over; it's not like he's forcing it....he's just not making as many thing happen in front of the net like he used to. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why.
Last edited by RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Dude, Crosby's on pace for 27.3 goals now. He hasn't been on pace for 19 goals for like five games now.

Just to reiterate.

Youngest 100 point scorer in NHL history.
Wins Art Ross, Hart, and Pearson in his second season.
Despite a major injury, plays at the same point pace as the scoring leader, then leads the playoffs in scoring in his third year in leading his team, as captain, to the Finals.

Uh, he's a bust?

Absolutely he is. Since he's not at the top of the scoring race 18 games into his fourth season, it nullifies anything he did prior to this season. He is officially a bust. Write him off. Trade him for zidlicky.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins