Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:11 pm

He's fourth in the league in scoring right now. Bust!
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:He's fourth in the league in scoring right now. Bust!


Let's face it, HH -- Rechhi and Armstrong made Crosby look so good the past 3 years. Without them, he's nothing.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby superconan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Dude, Crosby's on pace for 27.3 goals now. He hasn't been on pace for 19 goals for like five games now.

Just to reiterate.

Youngest 100 point scorer in NHL history.
Wins Art Ross, Hart, and Pearson in his second season.
Despite a major injury, plays at the same point pace as the scoring leader, then leads the playoffs in scoring in his third year in leading his team, as captain, to the Finals.

Uh, he's a bust?


He also was the youngest to lead the World Championships in scoring. Which doesn't mean as much as any of the above. The guy can get it done anywhere.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,496
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:14 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
mumbobob wrote:Wow. I mean, I see a bit of a shift in his play and things, but a bust? We're talking about a guy that's 2 years removed from a Hart and Art Ross, the youngest captain in the league, and 4th in the league in scoring. That's a bust? What does someone have to do to be a success these days?


All I meant was that he is on pace for like 20 goals. The announcers said last night that, for all intents and purposes, he is not as dominant of a player as he was when he came into the league. At age 21, that just shouldn't be happening.

Now, granted, if he scores 20 goals and the Pens win the Cup, it would be fine by me. But if he scores 20 goals and follows it with a quiet playoff, how concerned should all of us be then?


Still, don't be a the devil's advocate just for the sake of it.

Is Ovechkin a bust because he's had a slow start this year too? His start is complete crap compared to Crosby's.

Sid also led the league in playoff scoring last year (less games played than zetterberg so I give him the nod). And that was only how many months ago when his ankle was still crap.

Sid also had a worse start to the season last year. You just turned this thread into something completely worthless.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,582
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 pm

You just turned this thread into something completely worthless.


Serious discussion over whether Sid's having some either injury or confidence-related difficulty is different than idiotic assertions that he's a bust, but people harping on one dumb comment instead of making serious points on the subject at hand and over-running the thread isn't helping.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:22 pm

Well, in retrospect, even mentioning the word "bust" was probably unfair.

But it is his 4th year. I expected him to explode offensively, just as Jagr, Lemieux, and Gretzky did in their 4th season. He still might, who knows? But this "slump" is going on 20 games and it really has me concerned. Either mentally or physically, he is not CLOSE to 100% right now.
Last edited by RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,953
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Well, in retrospect, even mentioning the word "bust" was probably unfair.

But it is his 4th year. I expected him to explode offensively, just as Jagr, Lemieux, and Gretzky did in their 4th season. He still might, who knows? But this "slump" is going on 20 games and it really has me concerned.


As pointed out earlier, he's fourth in the league in scoring. I'm not so sure you can call that a slump.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Easton wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Well, in retrospect, even mentioning the word "bust" was probably unfair.

But it is his 4th year. I expected him to explode offensively, just as Jagr, Lemieux, and Gretzky did in their 4th season. He still might, who knows? But this "slump" is going on 20 games and it really has me concerned.


As pointed out earlier, he's fourth in the league in scoring. I'm not so sure you can call that a slump.


Its mind-boggling that someone can be on pace for 100 points and anyone can call it a slump.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:27 pm

The above alone speaks volumes of how good he is and what is expected of him.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,582
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Easton wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Well, in retrospect, even mentioning the word "bust" was probably unfair.

But it is his 4th year. I expected him to explode offensively, just as Jagr, Lemieux, and Gretzky did in their 4th season. He still might, who knows? But this "slump" is going on 20 games and it really has me concerned.


As pointed out earlier, he's fourth in the league in scoring. I'm not so sure you can call that a slump.


We can agree on inconsistency, then. He has been wildly inconsistent. And he is the steadiest player in the league, which is what makes it so baffling. Actually, aside from Malkin, the powerplay as a whole has been in a slump - and giving up shorties at an alarming rate to boot. Sid is not necessarily to BLAME for that - but he should be more confident and dominant with the man-advantage.
Last edited by RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,953
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

meecrofilm wrote:The above alone speaks volumes of how good he is and what is expected of him.


This. And everyone likes to say whenever it's convenient to their point that stats don't tell the whole story, but now they're the crux of arguments. No, I don't think he's injured or a bust, but to say that he hasn't been visible EVERY game, regardless of points scored, like he was last year, is not totally unfair.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Samsdog wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:The above alone speaks volumes of how good he is and what is expected of him.


This. And everyone likes to say whenever it's convenient to their point that stats don't tell the whole story, but now they're the crux of arguments. No, I don't think he's injured or a bust, but to say that he hasn't been visible EVERY game, regardless of points scored, like he was last year, is not totally unfair.


And last night's game proves you correct.

Since I called Sid out, a bit harshly I might add (although it was the announcers last night who basically echoed Semin's comments that prompted mine - I personally never called him a bust), here's my take:

Sid just needs to drive the net more. Look, Lemaire defended Crosby perfectly last night - they took his passing lanes away and clogged up the n-zone. But Sid made it too easy for the Wild. He used to shift gears once in awhile and just crash the net. As great as he is, he's a little predictable on the powerplay. The man-advantage is the key to him breaking out of this funk. Mike Yeo needs to step it up and utilize his players better as well, because without Gonchar, there is a huge void.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,953
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:He's making very POOR decisions. There were 3 or 4 times last night were he made drop or blind passes, especially one where he circled the net and passed it to no one.

So you're saying his wingers aren't where they are supposed to be? Satan has fallen off the radar the past 2 games. I'm sure Crosby is expecting him to be in those spots. Talbot has gone AWOL as well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:33 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:The first two months of his 2008-2009 season have been a bust. Superstars typically don't have back to back inconsistent months.

By that reasoning, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, St, Louis, Brad Richards, Nash, Alfredeson, Spezza, Heatley, Eric Staal, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, the Sedins, Kopitar, Frolov, etc. .... can all be considered busts right now?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Steve on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Caps and Flyers fans would be proud of all of the fail in this thread regarding Crosby.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,684
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Pitts wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:The first two months of his 2008-2009 season have been a bust. Superstars typically don't have back to back inconsistent months.

By that reasoning, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, St, Louis, Brad Richards, Nash, Alfredeson, Spezza, Heatley, Eric Staal, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, the Sedins, Kopitar, Frolov, etc. .... can all be considered busts right now?

There was no reasoning.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:10 pm

I wonder if he just didn't let himself get enough rest in the offseason, mentally and physically. :? Losing the Cup like that, maybe he's had a strong sense of urgency, unfinished business, and being a perfectionist, he works so hard. But I could see someone getting really run down that way. If there's something wrong we don't know about, I hope he starts feeling better soon.

And for now, well, for what it's worth, Ovechkin's crapping his pants this year even moreso than Crosby, and the Pens are having a pretty darn good month so far. *shrug*
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,508
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Pitts wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:He's making very POOR decisions. There were 3 or 4 times last night were he made drop or blind passes, especially one where he circled the net and passed it to no one.

So you're saying his wingers aren't where they are supposed to be? Satan has fallen off the radar the past 2 games. I'm sure Crosby is expecting him to be in those spots. Talbot has gone AWOL as well.


I'm saying his wingers aren't where they're supposed to be and he's forcing plays when they aren't there. He's getting NO support from Satan, especially over the last 5 games or so.

I've been yapping at the wife about Satan for a while and so last night I payed attention to him the entire game. If anyone can get reamed out for floating, it's Satan. Absolutely horrible both on the forecheck/backcheck. He was like he was a ghost out there. Sid's trying to do everything himself and when he passes the puck, his wingers aren't supporting him.

It goes both ways. Sid's wingers aren't doing a good job and neither is he. He's making plays when he can but I think he's feeling the pressure to do it all himself and that's why he tries those "I'm going to take it in 1 on 3 and break the defense plays."
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Anyone that thinks Sid is a bust needs their head examined.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:07 pm

I think it's obvious. Sid needs Colby back on the team. Look how he's played since Colby was traded! The only reason Sid produced so much in the playoffs was Hossa. Now we're seeing the regular season ramifactions. Hopefully Pens can sign Colby in the off-season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,582
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Indyman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Ist post :D
I think he's hurting as well....near the end of the game he had 2 opportunities to take solid backhanders (which he loves to do - straight blade) and both times he made a bad pass...Both were on the blocker side of Backstrom - which is the sweet side due to his sick glove hand.
I'm not jobbing Sid at all - Mario had bad games too....
I think he's nursing a rib injury that he doesn't want anyone to know about - especially before playing THE dirty team in the league (we all know who that is)
I also agree he isn't driving to the net at all - its something he has to do again.
I'm willing to bet he will be battling Malkin for the scoring race.
I'm also more concerned about what he does in the playoffs - not against The Wild in November.
Or he fact he's a few points out of the scoring race in November - cmon guys - its a marathon, not a sprint
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby pensfan66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Wow, I cannot believe this thread even went this far. RX Bandit or whatever are you kidding me? You are using the Versus announcers as a way to prove a point? Half the time those two yahoos don't even get players names right. These are the same announcers who wrote off our pens against Detroit in the second period. I wouldn't use what Alex Semin or the announcers last night said about Sid. I've been saying all along we'll see where we are at the end of 82 games. This is very early in the season to write Crosby off as a bust or his having "reached his plateau" Secondly Sid is what 4th in scoring right now? The power play sucks, they will figure that out. Crosby is one of the best to play the game and the points will come for him. What does he always say? It's the team winning that counts not personal achievements. This is what separates him from AO and all the others who are out for themselves. (AHEM HOSSA) Sid's all about team and that is all I have to say about that. I don't want to see you back on here at the end of the season crowing about how great Crosby is. You have judged him so stick with it.
pensfan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:46 am
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby pensfan66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Indyman wrote:Ist post :D
I think he's hurting as well....near the end of the game he had 2 opportunities to take solid backhanders (which he loves to do - straight blade) and both times he made a bad pass...Both were on the blocker side of Backstrom - which is the sweet side due to his sick glove hand.
I'm not jobbing Sid at all - Mario had bad games too....
I think he's nursing a rib injury that he doesn't want anyone to know about - especially before playing THE dirty team in the league (we all know who that is)
I also agree he isn't driving to the net at all - its something he has to do again.
I'm willing to bet he will be battling Malkin for the scoring race.
I'm also more concerned about what he does in the playoffs - not against The Wild in November.
Or he fact he's a few points out of the scoring race in November - cmon guys - its a marathon, not a sprint


Welcome to the board! Also thank you for some common sense rationale!
pensfan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:46 am
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 pm

pensfan66 wrote:
Indyman wrote:Ist post :D
I think he's hurting as well....near the end of the game he had 2 opportunities to take solid backhanders (which he loves to do - straight blade) and both times he made a bad pass...Both were on the blocker side of Backstrom - which is the sweet side due to his sick glove hand.
I'm not jobbing Sid at all - Mario had bad games too....
I think he's nursing a rib injury that he doesn't want anyone to know about - especially before playing THE dirty team in the league (we all know who that is)
I also agree he isn't driving to the net at all - its something he has to do again.
I'm willing to bet he will be battling Malkin for the scoring race.
I'm also more concerned about what he does in the playoffs - not against The Wild in November.
Or he fact he's a few points out of the scoring race in November - cmon guys - its a marathon, not a sprint


Welcome to the board! Also thank you for some common sense rationale!


You'll soon learn that common sense is considered a flaw here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,547
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby pensfan66 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
pensfan66 wrote:
Indyman wrote:Ist post :D
I think he's hurting as well....near the end of the game he had 2 opportunities to take solid backhanders (which he loves to do - straight blade) and both times he made a bad pass...Both were on the blocker side of Backstrom - which is the sweet side due to his sick glove hand.
I'm not jobbing Sid at all - Mario had bad games too....
I think he's nursing a rib injury that he doesn't want anyone to know about - especially before playing THE dirty team in the league (we all know who that is)
I also agree he isn't driving to the net at all - its something he has to do again.
I'm willing to bet he will be battling Malkin for the scoring race.
I'm also more concerned about what he does in the playoffs - not against The Wild in November.
Or he fact he's a few points out of the scoring race in November - cmon guys - its a marathon, not a sprint


Welcome to the board! Also thank you for some common sense rationale!


You'll soon learn that common sense is considered a flaw here.

Right? It drives me crazy some of things people put on here, that person especially. Where do you come up with this crap?
pensfan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:46 am
Location: Lancaster, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skatingpen and 15 guests


e-mail