Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation. How serious is Crosby hurting?

Postby neophool on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 pm

he is absolutely hurt, its obvious.

great thing is, he's still top 10 in the league at 60-75% percent, which is what he looks like now.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Sigh....

First Staal now Crosby?

When Crosby has his 4 point night tomorrow night, you will all be back on the bandwagon.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:35 am

I'm putting on my flame retardant suit for this one. I am not suggesting that this is the main reason for his problems but it could factor in to it. Is this not the first year he is earning his big pay check? The kid is 21 and is getting paychecks that he probably can't comprehend. I'm not saying conciously he is making the decision to slack or be careful but a kid who realizes he is making a crap ton of money who just happens to look different this year for an unexplained reason? He knows he has long term earning potential but he knows he has to stay healthy to achieve that. Maybe he saw that his style was going to consistantly get him hurt and decided to back off ever so slightly. He's smart. Like I said, I'm not saying this is the case I'm just throwing it out there. You tell me it isn't a possibility.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 am

You can put your suit away, but I'm telling you it's not a possibility. :D

Crosby's drive is on par with Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. He's not in this for money, and every interview I've seen/heard and article I've read tells me he's as grounded a kid as you'll find. I also don't think he knows how to give less than 100%.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Sigh....

First Staal now Crosby?

When Crosby has his 4 point night tomorrow night, you will all be back on the bandwagon.

How does speculating that he's injured cause one to fall off of the bandwagon? If anything, as badly as he's been playing the last few games, I'd think that insisting that he's completely healthy would actually put one "off" the bandwagon.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:13 am

joopen wrote: The kid is 21 .

When nobody knows anything with surety then one would suppose anything is possible.
It would seem to me Sid finds himself in a position occupied by only one other person in the world (that I could think of), that being Tiger Woods, as being the designated face of his sport.
By and large, people love Tiger. By and large, outside of Pen's fans, people hate Sid. They all wish he was on their team but the vitriol aimed his way is staggering.

The first and last to mobbed by the press, the source of endless speculation, the pressure to be the next Wayne, and dealing with all that hate. I just assume that pressure must get intense....or not. Who knows? But I don't know how he does it. Guess that's part of what makes him so special.

I thought he could have had 4 points against the Wild. And if Backstrom continues to play as well as he is I'll be comfortable wagering on the Wild against the Wings in the playoffs...should that happen.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 am

Two posters have mentioned how he hasn't been the same since his rookie year. I very much hope you mean his 2nd year =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:02 am

tombarrassorules wrote:girls.
You know, I was wondering this as well. A broken heart can hurt worse than any physical pain.

I'd still probably say he has a nagging injury but I guess it could be some kind of emotional problem that's effecting his play.

The thing that sucks with Crosby's playing style is that he does go balls to the wall all the time and it puts him in a lot of situations where he can get injured. People thinking he's plateaued or regressing are nuts. He didn't just all of a sudden lose his abilities. At the same time, the people thinking he's fine are nuts too. It's not just confidence issues, he's playing a lot different. Something is up and Sid never lets you know what's bothering him. I hope he doesn't follow the Forsburg path.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 am

As the person who started this thread, I want to point out that this wagon is firmly attached to the crosby bandwagon. I was simply stating that Crosby, for whatever reason, did not look like he was "able" to perform at the level he wanted to. I would say his decision making was being restricted by something.

And tommyb has touched on a very interesting thing. A broken heart. Yes, that would qualify as an injury. Hell, in my mind, that explains everything. If he comes out with the knuckles tonight, consider it factual :D

If he throws the body around and shows a few moves with speed, I was just seeing things. He did look good a few games ago, but an injury or a broken heart can strike in an instant.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Waffles on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 am

Let's hope he's ready for vancouver.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:57 am

Waffles wrote:Let's hope he's ready for vancouver.

Let's hope he's ready for Atlanta.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Waffles on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 am

Why So Serious? wrote:

It's hard to be anything less than "ready" for the Atlanta Thrashers.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 am

Waffles wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

It's hard to be anything less than "ready" for the Atlanta Thrashers.

Just sayin. You can't overlook any games, especially in the NHL nowadays. Atlanta has been red hot the past 5-6 games.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby toby91_ca on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 am

joopen wrote:I'm putting on my flame retardant suit for this one. I am not suggesting that this is the main reason for his problems but it could factor in to it. Is this not the first year he is earning his big pay check? The kid is 21 and is getting paychecks that he probably can't comprehend. I'm not saying conciously he is making the decision to slack or be careful but a kid who realizes he is making a crap ton of money who just happens to look different this year for an unexplained reason? He knows he has long term earning potential but he knows he has to stay healthy to achieve that. Maybe he saw that his style was going to consistantly get him hurt and decided to back off ever so slightly. He's smart. Like I said, I'm not saying this is the case I'm just throwing it out there. You tell me it isn't a possibility.

I won't flame you, but you are totally off base here. Ignoring the fact that Crosby is not that type of player (he's one of the hardest working players out there), this is NOT the first year he is earning a big pay cheque. In his first 3 years in the league, he was earning about $4 million per year. That's just his NHL salary, his endorsements were likely greater than that. The guy was making millions before entering the NHL I believe. The fact that he is earning an NHL salary of more than $8 million really doesn't change much.
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that he is being overly cautious on the ice. Maybe the simple pressure of living up to the huge conntract, combined with a nagging minor injury are contributing to this.

My question is, why is he performing well at even strength but struggling on the powerplay?

Maybe he is trying too hard. But after the pressures of last year's playoffs, how could he be feeling the pressure now? It's all just speculation. I just hope the "injury" is not too serious, whatever it is.

And again, please don't attack me for reiterating what the VS announcers and Semin said. Those quotes were very transparent and very public. All of us know what was implied. I just simply typed it.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't think another person could put more pressure on Sid than what he does to himself.
Bad hip/ribs don't allow for acrobatic moves and shooting a puck easily.

Of course Sid could avoid all this speculation by saying he's too hurt to play; that isn't going to happen.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:58 pm

penny lane wrote:I don't think another person could put more pressure on Sid than what he does to himself.
Bad hip/ribs don't allow for acrobatic moves and shooting a puck easily.

Of course Sid could avoid all this speculation by saying he's too hurt to play; that isn't going to happen.

And of course, if he discloses the injury, he can't play. But it obviously is not hurting him badly enough to keep him out of the lineup, and I'm sure if there was risk of further injury, he'd sit out for at least a few games. But why not play if you're still getting a point per game?

But he does not look like himself, that's for sure - even on the nights when he gets a few assists. I just hope all these injuries don't become a constant thing for him.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:01 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:the simple answer is that he probably is injured.

but the real answer is something much more complicated.

girls.

when i was playing high school basketball, my friend on the team got a new girl. went to practice couldnt do anything...next night at the game...worst game of the season. terrible. looked awful...

the coach calls him out in the lockerroom after the game. and says "son, i know what the problem is. you got a girlfriend dont you? ive seen it before. a girl will ruin a good man any day." and boy if he wasn't right. the kid had to get his mind straight. prioritze.

sid must have all kindsa problems with those yinzer gals.

And you know this how?

This thread has turned into somewhat of a sideshow. This and that, he'll never be the same since his 2nd year, he can't take the mental pressure, etc.

How about:

Yes, he may still be slightly hurt, but ...um .... sometimes even superstars hit SLUMPS. See: ovechkin, first 10+ games this season.

People keep on talking about Sid's second year, they're so quick to forget that he was on pace to once again lead the league in scoring in the regular season last year before he got hurt, and for all intents and purposes he did so in the playoffs.

Talk about making a big to do out of relatively nothing.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm

This is LGP, you'll forgive me if someone says something completely ridiculous and I take it to be serious. :lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:23 pm

I actually live by that rule of thumb. Exept when I'm talking about hockey. Go figure.

Crosby should have a baby with Shakira. That kid would have indestructible hips. Make it happen Shero. Time to build for the future.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm

I'm on tonight
you know my hips don't like
and i'm starting to feel its right
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:39 pm

roger marris and mickey mantle....... lol saw that movie the other day and it kinda reminds me of the situation here
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 pm

I tend to look at it the opposite way of a broken heart fellas... He's got blue balls.... :D

Get him a shot of leg somehow that won't end up on every Canadian newspaper's front page, and he'll be a man possessed on the ice....

Or maybe it's the hip... ;)
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:24 pm

this thread has brought about some very interesting discussion.

The thought of Sid & Shakira makes me smile. Colby, I hope your reading this. We could call it S&S.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:31 am

thread topic needs changed to:

Speculation. How serious is Crosby face hurting?

The superman just isn't smiling. In fact I'm looking at the faces on a lot of these guys, they don't look like they're having as much fun as seasons past. Could it be the expectations are now on them and they are committed to meeting/surpassing them. I tink I want dis team to smile more after goal is score. I miss seeing, uh, Crosby face after he score important goal.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins