Malkin up front on the PP

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin up front on the PP

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm

The announcers on versus made a big deal about how they put Malkin up front on the power play late in the game. I like this move. When we get Whitney and then Sarge back, we can put two offensive defensemen on the point on any power play and allow crosby and malkin to work the boards where they are more effective. I think our power play is becoming predictable with trying to setup malkin for the big shot from the point. Let Malkin and crosby work down low and generate from there, with them on either side, they can look for each other on a cross ice pass or a back door play to a defense man, plus its always better to have a dman back there because they are more adept at making plays if the shorthand rushes up ice
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: Malkin up front on the PP

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:08 pm

PP#1:
Boucher-Goligoski
Malkin-Crosby-Staal

PP#2:
Letang-Goligoski/Malkin
Cooke-Zigomanis-Kennedy
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 pm

It doesn't matter how predictable it is, a cannon from the point is a great way to go. He should be stepping back 5 feet further and if they give the same pressure then the other guys are really opened up. If they don't then he should fire. Either way, its just a bad spot for the powerplay, they could improve it just as easily by doing the same thing they have been doing as they could by changing everything around.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bakeman81 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Fedotenko? Sykora?? Satan???
bakeman81

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm

darkstar57 wrote: I think our power play is becoming predictable with trying to setup malkin for the big shot from the point. Let Malkin and crosby work down low and generate from there, with them on either side, they can look for each other on a cross ice pass or a back door play to a defense man, plus its always better to have a dman back there because they are more adept at making plays if the shorthand rushes up ice

Last year's PP was just as predictable with Sid and Geno down low. They just funneled everything through Gonchar instead of Malkin. That's the Yeo way--overwhelm them with talent rather than creativity.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins