Stewie Griffin Postgame - Wild at Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Wild at Pens

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Credit to Kicksave for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Wild at Pens, a 2-1 shootout loss

Something good: Jordan Staal's fight. It wasn't lopsided, but edge to Staal as he threw and landed more punches before losing his balance and falling down. I don't want to see him make a regular habit of dropping gloves as he can't help the team win from the box (or worse if he breaks his hand and is out for a while), but I like seeing that aggression come out of him now and then.

Where they need improvement: Power Play. Credit the Minnesota penalty killers (they are tops in the league after all), but the bottom line is the Pens' power play went 0-4 with 5 shots. If they score on just one of those chances, they win the game.

Something good: Fitting in. Phillipe Boucher had a good first outing as a Pen. Defensively, I didn't notice him all that much, at least until looking at the game stats and saw he had 6 blocked shots. :shock: At the other end, he fired 6 at Backstrom. Unfortunately, 2 were blocked and 3 went wide, but I expect that to go away as he gets more comfortable here. There were a couple of time he looked hesitant to make an aggressive offensive play, and I imagine that will get worked out as well. At the very least, his presence pushed the struggling Mark Eaton to the press box.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Wild at Pens

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Good: Breaking the trap. Pens used the middle of the ice very well and, way better than expected, cut down the trap-induced neutral zone turnovers. Yes, they still had some, but the volume of up-and-down skating was nice to see.

Bad: Dancing on the periphery. Another bunch of maddening examples of them refusing to send the puck to- or around the crease and take advantage of the ensuing chaos. Min jams the box very well, but just a toss-in here and there will get them looking around. Still, let's not kid anyone. Pens got Backstrom-ed.

Good: Boucher. More physical than Sydor, helluva booming shot. His hits actually change a play, unlike the league-leading Orpik, who gets credited for hits, the great majority of which do nothing to affect the puck carrier. Looking forward to PB's next few games.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:36 pm

Good: Pens at least matched the best defensive team in the league at their own game. They equaled shots against, didn't give up many great chances (even Minny's goal I'm sure Sabou wants back, it was sort of soft) and all around had a strong defensive outing. Minus Gill who I think worked that goal back to Koivu before he scored it.

Bad: I thought this was a pretty solid game, not much to complain about. Yeah, you'd like to see some more shots on the powerplay, but Minnesota has an excellent PK and firing shots on Backstrom probably wouldn't work as well as on other goalies. Although, and I've been noticing this, Goligoski never one times. He always stops the puck, sets it up, then lets it go. He probably fans on shots less that way but it also gives goalies time to get set. Gotta work on that.

Good: Gotta agree with the above that Boucher's shot is frightening. Even from section D his shots hitting the board sounded like gunshots. Looks pretty good, wouldn't be surprised to see him log a few more 1st PP minutes, especially with the right-handed shot.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

good: i liked boucher. composed. responsible. right handed. and yes, a heck of a shot.

bad: sid can't play on bad ice. he's never good (in sid terms) when the ice is bad. it must be that a player who moves that fast needs the puck to lie flat.

good: sabu bounced back from what was a very very shaky start.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guido on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Good: Boucher. He logged 21 minutes and 2 seconds, slightly more than Orpik. He also had over 4 minutes of powerplay time. He was solid in his own end and made things happen offensively as well. Once he gets some chemistry going with his defensive partner and Sid & Geno on the powerplay, this could be, once again, another highway robbery for Shero.

Bad: Scoring on yourself. Yea, it was a fluke, but you hate to see a bouncing puck like that eat up your goalie and defenseman (Hal Gill).

Good: Bouncing back. That fluke goal against Sabu could've spelled disaster for the Pens, but they wasted little time making up for it. Sabourin didn't seem rattled from it either.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve McKenna'd on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Good: The Waterboy, looks to be a real good pick-up. Need to see him for a few more games, but could make it easier to part ways with U.S.S. Gill and Eaton.

Bad: The Minny goal, other than that, what do you expect playing against a Jacques Lemaire trap team?

Good: Sabu. Was really disappointed we lost Conk, but Danny is making it a whole lot easier to swallow.
Steve McKenna'd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Something Good: Besides the fluke goal, another solid outing from Sabu. Thursday will be interesting. He was great in relief duty last year too, but always sucked it up during his second start.

Something Bad: Gotta go with the PP. Against the New New Jersey Wild, the powerplay is when you have to capitalize. Gotta give credit to Minny's PK, 'cause they're nasty, but that 4-on-3 sticks out like a sore thumb.

Something Good: That's the only time we have to watch the Wild play "hockey" for another year.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins