deadline trade bait?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

deadline trade bait?

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Looking at the Pens roster, it is difficult to think of too many obvious choices at the trade deadline. I don't think there is a possibility of anything resembling a major deal, but let's speculate anyway.

D:

Once Gonchar and Whitney both return, the Pens will have great luxury of 9 guys at the blue line.
Eaton seems like the easy target for trade talk right now, but Gill, Boucher and Scuds are all up as UFAs.
Right now, I'm leaning towards Scuderi staying and the other two walking. That would seem to make Eaton's position safe.

So who among the defensemen are most likely to be dealt?

Forwards:

This one is even tougher. Everyone's favorite future tourist - until 10 days ago, that is - Staal is obviously staying. I'm not advocating that any of these guys should be shipped off, but Dupuis, Kennedy and Fedotenko seem the most likely. And I can't make a strong case for trading any of them, to be honest.

So are we looking at pretty much the playoff squad right now?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: deadline trade bait?

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm

I think we may be looking at the playoff squad, although it might get a few minor tweaks.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Noise wrote:I think we may be looking at the playoff squad, although it might get a few minor tweaks.

Agreed. Don't see any major changes coming, the team looks pretty good and is contending for the top of the Conference without its top 2 defensemen. Not that worried about it.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Indyman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Dmen:

i think we will be seeing one of Gill/Boucher/ and either Letang/GoGo with a draft pick for a scoring winger (personally would love Kovalchuk)

Forwards:

Fedotenko and Dupuis are expendable/easily replaceable. Kennedy is a valuable speedy water bug out there that will skate through a brick wall if you ask him to - and for a little guy, he can fight. He punches like he skates - high-speed. If we can keep Satan at a good price keep him for a couple years - only at a good price :twisted:

Staal is a part of the vaunted core of this team

This team doesn't need a major over haul...we need a quality goal scorer - that's it
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Indyman wrote:Dmen:

i think we will be seeing one of Gill/Boucher/ and either Letang/GoGo with a draft pick for a scoring winger (personally would love Kovalchuk)

Forwards:

Fedotenko and Dupuis are expendable/easily replaceable. Kennedy is a valuable speedy water bug out there that will skate through a brick wall if you ask him to - and for a little guy, he can fight. He punches like he skates - high-speed. If we can keep Satan at a good price keep him for a couple years - only at a good price :twisted:

Staal is a part of the vaunted core of this team

This team doesn't need a major over haul...we need a quality goal scorer - that's it

Trading Gill, Boucher or Fedotenko would be tricky. No one but another playoff contender would take them because of their UFA status in the summer.

Kennedy: I only see him going in a deal for a prime-time scorer from a back of the pack team. And that doesn't seem likely.

Now that I think about it more, this really does seem close to the team we'll see in the playoffs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 pm

and why exactly do the Pens need a scoring winger?

Pens lead the East in Goals For.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:21 pm

They should probably trade crosby. Hes in an incredible slump, but someone will see value in a 100 point player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:They should probably trade crosby. Hes in an incredible slump, but someone will see value in a 100 point player.

Crosby for Kopitar, Brown and Johnson.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:They should probably trade crosby. Hes in an incredible slump, but someone will see value in a 100 point player.

Crosby for Kopitar, Brown OR Johnson.

fixed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Noise wrote:and why exactly do the Pens need a scoring winger?

They don't if you believe Fedotenko and Talbot can really measure up as top-6 LWs all the way through the playoffs. I'm not so sure we can assume that right now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

columbia wrote:

They don't if you believe Fedotenko and Talbot can really measure up as top-6 LWs all the way through the playoffs. I'm not so sure we can assume that right now.

Reality check- most teams don't have 4 true top 6 wingers. Especially teams that are loaded on defense, center, and have a good goaltender.

It's life. There's this thing called the salary cap. And if there wasn't, Pens still wouldn't have 4 top 6 six wingers because NY Rangers and Toronto would drive prices through the roof.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Noise wrote:
columbia wrote:

Reality check- most teams don't have 4 true top 6 wingers. Especially teams that are loaded on defense, center, and have a good goaltender.

It's life. There's this thing called the salary cap. And if there wasn't, Pens still wouldn't have 4 top 6 six wingers because NY Rangers and Toronto would drive prices through the roof.

Nor any sort of team to speak of. Love the laments about the salary cap but if it weren't for it we'd still be trapped in the days of Ricooooooo Faataaaaaa
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 pm

columbia wrote:

Yeah, we better trade for Kovalchuk AND Gaborik. This team needs goals bad.

It's so ridiculous how people think the Penguins need wingers. Reality check: the wingers aren't going to get any better over the years!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:46 pm

Pens sign Eric and dangle a Dman to see what the offers are. Thats as good as it gets.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Defence21 wrote:
columbia wrote:

Yeah, we better trade for Kovalchuk AND Gaborik. This team needs goals bad.

It's so ridiculous how people think the Penguins need wingers. Reality check: the wingers aren't going to get any better over the years!

So the Pens would have made the Cup finals w/out Hossa?
Wingers do make a difference.
The point is: the Pens might (or might not) have the right complement of them right now.
To assume otherwise is - frankly - ridiculous. You have no idea whether FedEx and Talbot can sustain a level of play for the rest of the season.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Indyman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

We need a scoring winger for balance - yes we have the most goals for in the East, but I think a scoring winger could REALLY unlock the potential we're not seeing right now - and we're doing pretty good right now.
I want to win the cup - that's all.
With the talent this team has, anything less is failure
Indyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm

This team is missing Brenden Morrow.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Draft picks and prospects. The Pens currently have a pick in every round plus an additional third rounder. I don't endorse selling the farm but they have some useful prospects they can afford to move. Grant is an example, as he's emerging as a quality prospect at a position of depth for the organization.

We'll see what the needs are by the deadline. I doubt they're going to be looking to make any major trades with Satan performing to his career standards and Staal bouncing back. You're looking at filling smaller holes than last year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Draft picks and prospects. The Pens currently have a pick in every round plus an additional third rounder. I don't endorse selling the farm but they have some useful prospects they can afford to move. Grant is an example, as he's emerging as a quality prospect at a position of depth for the organization.

We'll see what the needs are by the deadline. I doubt they're going to be looking to make any major trades with Satan performing to his career standards and Staal bouncing back. You're looking at filling smaller holes than last year.

I wouldn't mind a veteran like Slava Kozlov. He's doing really well on a pretty bad team in Atlanta.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:This team is missing Brenden Morrow.

~~droolz~~

Opps! Sorry, I gotta wipe my chin.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:This team is missing Brenden Morrow.

Most teams are.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I would make an offer to Detroit for Marian Hossa.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Draft picks and prospects. The Pens currently have a pick in every round plus an additional third rounder. I don't endorse selling the farm but they have some useful prospects they can afford to move. Grant is an example, as he's emerging as a quality prospect at a position of depth for the organization.

Agree 100%. There's no glaring deficiency, no hole that can't be solved without moving a major part of the roster given the full line of draft picks and the cabinets being far from bare in the prospect department. The only thing I would consider unmovable would be the Curry's and Caputi's, as well as the first rounder, but other than that I would think the pick or prospect or maybe a minor roster player will be the only thing moved.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 pm

columbia wrote:So the Pens would have made the Cup finals w/out Hossa?
The point is: the Pens might (or might not) have the right complement of them right now.
To assume otherwise is - frankly - ridiculous. You have no idea whether FedEx and Talbot can sustain a level of play for the rest of the season.

Maybe, maybe not. He certainly helped them get there.

But also, remember last year, Crosby didn't have so much as a Satan on his wing.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 pm

columbia wrote:So the Pens would have made the Cup finals w/out Hossa?

Not what I said. What I said is that the Penguins can't/won't have top flight wingers like Hossa with Malkin, Crosby and others under big contracts. It just won't happen. The fact is, in the salary cap era, guys like Talbot, Fedotenko and others will be top liners on this team. Period.

What I'm also saying that it's time for fans to stop being spoiled and wanting more. This team has two of the top three or four players in the world -- yet we want top-flight wingers too. Let's be realistic and realize it's not possible, and last year was an exception, not the rule.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins